Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£10 for 10 hours parking in Brighton

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That'll do congestion aroind there the world of good.

I assume the council/buses/trains are colluding to make it ridiculously expensive to travel in or in to Brighton. Tuk Tuks banished. The Big Lemon squeezed out. A provincial park and ride system.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I hope the Greens are booted out next year both locally and the MP. They have been crap. I'm still angry by the way they have built up the Open Market with yet more flats the area doesn't need. It makes a joke out of their supposed 'green' policies. :ffsparr:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That's actually a good deal but I'd like to point out NCP is a private company and the charges are not decided by the Greens.

Now London Road car park on the other hand IS managed by the council. 9 hours = £8.00 ( reasonable value ). Ten hours on the other hand ( i.e. what most workers will need ) is £17.50 - utter rip off.

For my holidays I went to France and as a day trip we went to a very popular seaside resort about the size of B&H. Guess what ? Other than the parking smack bang on the beach ( which was a Euro an hour ) all parking was free !!!!! And there was no meltdown or Armageddon, people just parked and if there were no spaces they didn't. It somewhat highlighted the greed of B&H Council.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Now London Road car park on the other hand IS managed by the council. 9 hours = £8.00 ( reasonable value ). Ten hours on the other hand ( i.e. what most workers will need ) is £17.50 - utter rip off.

A weekly ticket for that car Park is £50, so any sane worker that needs more than 9 hours regularly would surely purchase one.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A weekly ticket for that car Park is £50, so any sane worker that needs more than 9 hours regularly would surely purchase one.

This is madness, a world when it costs £200 a month to leave a car on a square of tarmac. Its not as if its even cleaned or looked after for that.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

My point was more about the utter money grab between the 9th and 10th hour - they didn't design that to screw workers at all did they. As for £50 a week to park - still an utter rip off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My point was more about the utter money grab between the 9th and 10th hour - they didn't design that to screw workers at all did they. As for £50 a week to park - still an utter rip off.

I remember the same many years ago in the Churchill square car park, the prices ramped up at 7 hours for the same reason.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003

But why would workers not opt for the weekly ticket? Still much better value than paying the daily charge if they have to park for more than 9 hours at least 3 days a week.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That's actually a good deal but I'd like to point out NCP is a private company and the charges are not decided by the Greens.

For my holidays I went to France and as a day trip we went to a very popular seaside resort about the size of B&H. Guess what ? Other than the parking smack bang on the beach ( which was a Euro an hour ) all parking was free !!!!! And there was no meltdown or Armageddon, people just parked and if there were no spaces they didn't. It somewhat highlighted the greed of B&H Council.

If workers need to drive cars for their jobs. Are their employers not responsible for providing parking facilities ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
If workers need to drive cars for their jobs. Are their employers not responsible for providing parking facilities ?

Errrr .... no. Which law or regulation suggests this ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But why would workers not opt for the weekly ticket? Still much better value than paying the daily charge if they have to park for more than 9 hours at least 3 days a week.

OK, let's take my situation. Work in central Brighton and I mix my transport to work between bus ( expensive ), driving ( expensive parking ), walking / cycling ( ok in nice weather but not in the depths of winter. So the council are purposely trying to make excessive money out of people that can't use the cheap 9 hour charge. I'm sure as hell not paying £50 for a whole weeks parking when a) I might not use it due to my transport mix b) I probably won't use it a couple of days a week when I visit clients elsewhere in the country. Rip off, rip off, rip off.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
OK, let's take my situation. Work in central Brighton and I mix my transport to work between bus ( expensive ), driving ( expensive parking ), walking / cycling ( ok in nice weather but not in the depths of winter. So the council are purposely trying to make excessive money out of people that can't use the cheap 9 hour charge. I'm sure as hell not paying £50 for a whole weeks parking when a) I might not use it due to my transport mix b) I probably won't use it a couple of days a week when I visit clients elsewhere in the country. Rip off, rip off, rip off.

A weekly saver on the bus is what £18 ? I guess they could charge £3.60 a day to park and I guess this would be very popular. So popular in fact that there would be so many cars coming into the city during rush hour, journey times would increase considerably. Then for every single 10 hour parking driver who sits in an office, not spending any money in the vicinity, there are 2-3 cars that can not use that space for the day. These cars will often hold multiple passengers, many of whom will be spending money in the shops, bars and restaurants.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In this instance nothing, but in general the Green Party are still just a money grabbing bunch of sh1ts.
And any opportunity to hightlight is a good one.

The government cuts financing to the city, deeper and longer than any other administration in the south east (a fact, not an opinion), meaning the city has to finance itself in other ways - and you call them 'money-grabbing'?

You really don't know what you're on about.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I hope the Greens are booted out next year both locally and the MP. They have been crap. I'm still angry by the way they have built up the Open Market with yet more flats the area doesn't need. It makes a joke out of their supposed 'green' policies. :ffsparr:

Jesus wept - words fail me. 'The area doesn't need more flats?' The city is short of 24,000 houses, and you claim more housing isn't needed?

Another one who really doesn't know what they're on about. :facepalm:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003

Use the bus then, when you are in Brighton :shrug: Still at least you have vented.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here