Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sick Note

Isn't that what football is all about?

10 Not allowed!
    Excitement

Not all about winning, or about reaching the playoffs, or the Premier League... its about excitement, and that's what has been lacking for the last year or so:

Getting Excited about reading on a Sunday night that we were about to spend 2.5m on the top scorer in our division the previous year.
    Getting excited when Buckley scores a last minute winner against Donny in the first game at the Amex (And then last minute winners or equalisers in 4-5 games that season)
    Getting excited about signing Vicente - and then pretty much getting excited every time he touched the ball even though it wasnt often enough.
    Getting excited about knocking out and playing Premier League opposition in cup matches
    Getting excited about finally having a goalscorer to replace FFS and how brilliant he was for the second half that season.
    Getting excited about THAT free kick from Spanish Dave

Frankly - what in the last year or so have we had to be excited about? Isnt that what football is all about? It isnt about winning, it's about edge of your seat stuff, sharp intake of breath when THAT player gets the ball... that is what is missing right now and partly why I don't want to sell Buckley because he is capable of that albeit so infrequently now... Let's hope we sign someone who may not be brilliant every game, but every so often will bring us to the edge of our seats with something brilliant.
    It's not all about winning, nor about getting to the playoffs, nor even about reaching the dizzying heights of the Premier League. it's about excitement - and that's what has been lacking for the last year or so at the Albion:

• Getting excited about reading on a Sunday night that we were about to spend 2.5m on the leading scorer in our division the previous year.
    • Getting excited when Buckley scores a last minute winner against Donny in the first game at the Amex (not to mention the other last minute winners and equalisers in 4 or 5 games that season).
    • Getting excited about signing Vicente - and then pretty much getting excited every time he touched the ball (even though it wasnt often enough).
    • Getting excited about playing and knocking out Premier League opposition in Cup matches
    • Getting excited about finally having a goalscorer to replace FFS and how brilliant he was for the second half of that season.
    • Getting excited about THAT free kick from Spanish Dave

Vicente - didn't touch the ball enough

Frankly - what in the last year or so have we had to be excited about? Isnt that what football is all about? It isnt about winning, it's about edge of your seat stuff, the sharp intake of breath when THAT player gets the ball... that is what is missing right now and partly why I don't want us to sell Buckley because he is capable of that albeit so infrequently now.

Attachment 57252
    Will Buckley - exciting

Yes, winning is great and last minute winners are exhilarating - but you can't substitute having a player on the pitch who has that "what is he going to do now" X Factor. Players like Vicente, Darren Currie and Mark Gall. Even Peter Smith had it in small doses and, of course, many say that about Peter Ward, although I never got to see him live myself.

Let's hope we sign someone who may not be brilliant every game, but every so often will bring us to the edge of our seats with something magical and brilliant.
    Maskell... off the post <Insert 10 years of my life lost here> -
    REEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN NNEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLTTTT!!!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Agreed, I'm sensible in real life. I don't pay 500 quid per year to watch sensible football!!

0 Not allowed!

But in all seriousness, I agree
      Everything in Moderation Prince Monolulu's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Forest game was one outburst of fun and emotion last year. Need more of those.

Coincidentally, I really enjoyed Brum also, a rare show of emotion from OG after a 1 - 0 win.
      I gotta Horse!

0 Not allowed!
      Football is a business, its about money.
      Error /404/ - Signature not found
      Sick Note

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smggles View Post
      Football is a business, its about money.
      Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant from a fans perspective.
      Maskell... off the post <Insert 10 years of my life lost here> -
      REEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN NNEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLTTTT!!!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Agree 100% about the excitement thing. I do not want to watch boring football played by a bunch of clones with no personality.
      With a Monkey Man Plan Monkey Man's Avatar
      One step ahead of the shoeshine, two steps away from the county line

0 Not allowed!
      Last season was the first time I remember being bored watching Brighton. I've been exasperated, worried, furious and disheartened at games many times. But not bored. Maybe it's a middle age thing.

I agree it's not all about winning, or promotion every year - let's be honest, we're not a club that's likely to get much higher than mid-table in the Prem if we're very lucky. It could happen, but I'd say the odds were against us.

So I agree ... for me I want to go to home games and see attacking, positive play; exciting players; goals. If we lose to better teams along the way, that's just the way it goes.

I thought the Sheff Weds game was incredibly tedious, regardless of the result. We looked like just another mediocre Championship side. I hope for better or it's going to be a long old season.
      Chicken Run, November 10, 1979.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The boring negative football is really taking its toll on the fans!!!!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Reinelt12 View Post
      Excitement

Not all about winning, or about reaching the playoffs, or the Premier League... its about excitement, and that's what has been lacking for the last year or so:

Getting Excited about reading on a Sunday night that we were about to spend 2.5m on the top scorer in our division the previous year.
      Getting excited when Buckley scores a last minute winner against Donny in the first game at the Amex (And then last minute winners or equalisers in 4-5 games that season)
      Getting excited about signing Vicente - and then pretty much getting excited every time he touched the ball even though it wasnt often enough.
      Getting excited about knocking out and playing Premier League opposition in cup matches
      Getting excited about finally having a goalscorer to replace FFS and how brilliant he was for the second half that season.
      Getting excited about THAT free kick from Spanish Dave

Frankly - what in the last year or so have we had to be excited about? Isnt that what football is all about? It isnt about winning, it's about edge of your seat stuff, sharp intake of breath when THAT player gets the ball... that is what is missing right now and partly why I don't want to sell Buckley because he is capable of that albeit so infrequently now... Let's hope we sign someone who may not be brilliant every game, but every so often will bring us to the edge of our seats with something brilliant.
      Totally agree, last season I got so bored with our 'style' of football that several times I ended up reading the programme cover to cover during the game. Having followed the Albion on/off for the best part of 51 years I've put up with my fair share of crap, but I have never ever been so bored watching our football as I was last season. It was one of the main reasons I didn't renew our ST's for this season.