Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Excitement - Isn't that what football is all about?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Isn't that what football is all about?

Excitement

Not all about winning, or about reaching the playoffs, or the Premier League... its about excitement, and that's what has been lacking for the last year or so:

Getting Excited about reading on a Sunday night that we were about to spend 2.5m on the top scorer in our division the previous year.
Getting excited when Buckley scores a last minute winner against Donny in the first game at the Amex (And then last minute winners or equalisers in 4-5 games that season)
Getting excited about signing Vicente - and then pretty much getting excited every time he touched the ball even though it wasnt often enough.
Getting excited about knocking out and playing Premier League opposition in cup matches
Getting excited about finally having a goalscorer to replace FFS and how brilliant he was for the second half that season.
Getting excited about THAT free kick from Spanish Dave

Frankly - what in the last year or so have we had to be excited about? Isnt that what football is all about? It isnt about winning, it's about edge of your seat stuff, sharp intake of breath when THAT player gets the ball... that is what is missing right now and partly why I don't want to sell Buckley because he is capable of that albeit so infrequently now... Let's hope we sign someone who may not be brilliant every game, but every so often will bring us to the edge of our seats with something brilliant.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Forest game was one outburst of fun and emotion last year. Need more of those.

Coincidentally, I really enjoyed Brum also, a rare show of emotion from OG after a 1 - 0 win.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree 100% about the excitement thing. I do not want to watch boring football played by a bunch of clones with no personality.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Last season was the first time I remember being bored watching Brighton. I've been exasperated, worried, furious and disheartened at games many times. But not bored. Maybe it's a middle age thing.

I agree it's not all about winning, or promotion every year - let's be honest, we're not a club that's likely to get much higher than mid-table in the Prem if we're very lucky. It could happen, but I'd say the odds were against us.

So I agree ... for me I want to go to home games and see attacking, positive play; exciting players; goals. If we lose to better teams along the way, that's just the way it goes.

I thought the Sheff Weds game was incredibly tedious, regardless of the result. We looked like just another mediocre Championship side. I hope for better or it's going to be a long old season.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Excitement

Not all about winning, or about reaching the playoffs, or the Premier League... its about excitement, and that's what has been lacking for the last year or so:

Getting Excited about reading on a Sunday night that we were about to spend 2.5m on the top scorer in our division the previous year.
Getting excited when Buckley scores a last minute winner against Donny in the first game at the Amex (And then last minute winners or equalisers in 4-5 games that season)
Getting excited about signing Vicente - and then pretty much getting excited every time he touched the ball even though it wasnt often enough.
Getting excited about knocking out and playing Premier League opposition in cup matches
Getting excited about finally having a goalscorer to replace FFS and how brilliant he was for the second half that season.

Frankly - what in the last year or so have we had to be excited about? Isnt that what football is all about? It isnt about winning, it's about edge of your seat stuff, sharp intake of breath when THAT player gets the ball... that is what is missing right now and partly why I don't want to sell Buckley because he is capable of that albeit so infrequently now... Let's hope we sign someone who may not be brilliant every game, but every so often will bring us to the edge of our seats with something brilliant.

Totally agree, last season I got so bored with our 'style' of football that several times I ended up reading the programme cover to cover during the game. Having followed the Albion on/off for the best part of 51 years I've put up with my fair share of crap, but I have never ever been so bored watching our football as I was last season. It was one of the main reasons I didn't renew our ST's for this season.

:(

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Leicester, QPR, Blackburn at home. Leicester, Forest away. Ulloa coming back to fitness, CMS coming back to fitness (which helped with forest away!). Journey to, and JL's goal in the home leg of the playoffs.

I experienced excitement on all these occasions. Was let down a few times obviously but was excited none the less.

Also suffered boredom as well. Can't deny that either.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Excitement

Heartily agree with this.
I don't care about 'having to' get to the Premier league, the price of the food or even losing a fair few matches to be honest.
Donny and Hereford in '97 apart - The signing of and getting to see occasionally Vicente was my single favourite thing about the last 20 years as an Albion fan.

In essence, we all just need something to 'fall in love' with again.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Heartily agree with this.
I don't care about 'having to' get to the Premier league, the price of the food or even losing a fair few matches to be honest.
Donny and Hereford in '97 apart - The signing of and getting to see occasionally Vicente was my single favourite thing about the last 20 years as an Albion fan.

In essence, we all just need something to 'fall in love' with again.

That's exactly what I am talking about... Yes, winning is great and last minute winners are exhilarating - but you can't substitute having a player on the pitch who has that "what is he going to do now" factor like Vicente, Currie, M Gall, even Peter Smith, and many say that about P Ward (although I never got to see him live).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last season was the first time I remember being bored watching Brighton. I've been exasperated, worried, furious and disheartened at games many times. But not bored. Maybe it's a middle age thing.

I agree it's not all about winning, or promotion every year - let's be honest, we're not a club that's likely to get much higher than mid-table in the Prem if we're very lucky. It could happen, but I'd say the odds were against us.

So I agree ... for me I want to go to home games and see attacking, positive play; exciting players; goals. If we lose to better teams along the way, that's just the way it goes.

I thought the Sheff Weds game was incredibly tedious, regardless of the result. We looked like just another mediocre Championship side. I hope for better or it's going to be a long old season.

I love you because THATS EXACTLY my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here