Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down please and be realistic

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I don't often post, but after the past few weeks of reading a lot of stuff on here, I feel the need to comment. You would think that we are a club in turmoil, no direction, bad owners, bad management, awful team, manager that has not a clue, awful tactics etc etc, but the facts remain that we are in a very good position. I will not call the fans that post gloom and doom on here 'bed wetters' but I think they are just a bit deluded and fail to see the bigger picture on where we are now as a club, let me give my views:

1. Status

Brighton have traditionally been a lower league team, mainly playing in the old div 3/4 and only very occasionally the top 2 leagues, so we are now a good championship team and I would say that is a major plus point to our status and history. Credit to the owners for that.

2. Infrastructure

First class stadium, won many awards, i heard a Wednesday fan say on train, that it was the best ground he has ever seen. Training ground, did it not get the most points ever awarded to an academy ?, better that Chelsea ?
Again credit to owners and management.

3. Current team

It's probably in terms of potential one were of the best squads we have ever had in our history, with an another couple of weeks of trading to go, will become stronger, you know it will, we all know they will get players in and I have Been told of one player that we went for a few weeks back before Leo went, well you would be very surprised that we were aiming so high. Saturday was disappointing, but could you say Wednesday were better, no they were not, simply lost to a wonder goal and I will have a bet with anyone that wants, that we will finish above them. (Would you want their number 9, simply one of the worst players I have ever seen)

4. Club Management

Loads of people moaned last year that we were slow and not attacking enough, so we get a manager that is trying to change to a different formation and style, with mainly the same players, it will take time, why do people think we will hit the ground running, it does not happen. Give him a chance, he will need time.

Barber is doing a great job, did he not win the best CEO award last year, so maybe he is good, just because we do not sign 10 players on silly contracts in the close season just to please people, does not make him or Burke bad.Just maybe they are running the club well. Think of what Palace and holloway did last year, some really silly appointments that they are still paying for now.

5. The future

Well after 50 years of watching, I would say we are in a better position than we have ever been, sorry that is a fact. I read someone said on here, that it is all about what happens on the pitch, utter rubbish, I am sure Leeds, and Pompey fans who had their success on the pitch for a few years, would swap what we have got now?

So in summary, please be aware that the club is in very good hands, the future is bright, we will improve the squad, we are in our best position as a club that we have even been, we are restricted by FFP, but that is a good thing, don't want to go into major debt again. And if you don't like it, you can always go up the m23 and support a club that only spend a few thousand on cladding, have goal music, blue peter colour displays, a drummer and owners that argue on website with fans, now where would you rather be ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Disagree with no.3

We have had far better in the 80's and easily better in the last two seasons.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Maybe, but if you have been watching for 50 years, what I have seen over the past few years and even Saturday, it ain't that bad, seriously

Churchy

Jun 1, 2008
South Wales
I don't often post, but after the past few weeks of reading a lot of stuff on here, I feel the need to comment. You would think that we are a club in turmoil, no direction, bad owners, bad management, awful team, manager that has not a clue, awful tactics etc etc, but the facts remain that we are in a very good position. I will not call the fans that post gloom and doom on here 'bed wetters' but I think they are just a bit deluded and fail to see the bigger picture on where we are now as a club, let me give my views:

1. Status

Brighton have traditionally been a lower league team, mainly playing in the old div 3/4 and only very occasionally the top 2 leagues, so we are now a good championship team and I would say that is a major plus point to our status and history. Credit to the owners for that.

2. Infrastructure

First class stadium, won many awards, i heard a Wednesday fan say on train, that it was the best ground he has ever seen. Training ground, did it not get the most points ever awarded to an academy ?, better that Chelsea ?
Again credit to owners and management.

3. Current team

It's probably in terms of potential one were of the best squads we have ever had in our history, with an another couple of weeks of trading to go, will become stronger, you know it will, we all know they will get players in and I have Been told of one player that we went for a few weeks back before Leo went, well you would be very surprised that we were aiming so high. Saturday was disappointing, but could you say Wednesday were better, no they were not, simply lost to a wonder goal and I will have a bet with anyone that wants, that we will finish above them. (Would you want their number 9, simply one of the worst players I have ever seen)

4. Club Management

Loads of people moaned last year that we were slow and not attacking enough, so we get a manager that is trying to change to a different formation and style, with mainly the same players, it will take time, why do people think we will hit the ground running, it does not happen. Give him a chance, he will need time.

Barber is doing a great job, did he not win the best CEO award last year, so maybe he is good, just because we do not sign 10 players on silly contracts in the close season just to please people, does not make him or Burke bad.Just maybe they are running the club well. Think of what Palace and holloway did last year, some really silly appointments that they are still paying for now.

5. The future

Well after 50 years of watching, I would say we are in a better position than we have ever been, sorry that is a fact. I read someone said on here, that it is all about what happens on the pitch, utter rubbish, I am sure Leeds, and Pompey fans who had their success on the pitch for a few years, would swap what we have got now?

So in summary, please be aware that the club is in very good hands, the future is bright, we will improve the squad, we are in our best position as a club that we have even been, we are restricted by FFP, but that is a good thing, don't want to go into major debt again. And if you don't like it, you can always go up the m23 and support a club that only spend a few thousand on cladding, have goal music, blue peter colour displays, a drummer and owners that argue on website with fans, now where would you rather be ?

Spot on that man, I second this !! As for lack of entertainment on the pitch like it was said in the post above Sami has players that have played slow for the last couple of seasons, you can only
P*** with the C*** you have got, let's see what he does when he brings the players he wants in ?!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The Club's (Board) expectations for this season is a Top-6 finish (Pre-Season Interview with Bloom).

The Club want to be (and are in the process of being) 'PLR'...

We have a top Academy and top Stadium with the highest crowds in the League, and somewhere around the 15th highest (average) crowds in England.

We have £8m+ transfer funds.

The club are more than happy to boast all of the above which only makes me think we should be a Top 6 finish, looking to get into the Premier League within the next couple of years.

Is that not realistic?
If not, why is the Club stating all of the above?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This is a good post, a top post, a well written and factual account of how it was, is and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Thank you for posting such a considered and erudite thread. A port in a storm...

Kosh

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The issue for fans is that we are paying more and more for less and less entertainment and until that changes people will drift away from the Club.

Everyone can see the wider picture but people aren't going to continue ponying up £40 12 months a year go and watch a match once every couple of weeks where we muster 1 clear shot on goal. It's simply getting harder and harder to justify given the entertainment value on the pitch.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
5. The future

I agree with all your words except "I read someone said on here, that it is all about what happens on the pitch, utter rubbish," What happens on the pitch determines attendance levels, which in turn generates revenue, which in turn leads to recruitment of better players. Wouldn't you agree? I'm not saying that we are going to crash to 10,000 gates for League games but a couple of hundred here and there does add up. But hey I'm positive and am sure that come September 1st we will have a competitive squad as Tony Bloom has publicly said. :)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The issue for fans is that we are paying more and more for less and less entertainment and until that changes people will drift away from the Club.

Everyone can see the wider picture but people aren't going to continue ponying up £40 12 months a year go and watch a match once every couple of weeks where we muster 1 clear shot on goal. It's simply getting harder and harder to justify given the entertainment value on the pitch.

Spot on but the UBER fans cannot or WILL not answer that

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i thinks we've been a tad lucky with overall results in the past two years, and set a high level of expectation. when people criticise the squad in particular they seem to forget how many of the players from the past few seasons were unknown, and how many have been inconsistent. we are effectively starting with a new style and attitude to play, it will require new players and time to develop.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Fair point, but what happens on the pitch can not be measured after 1 game ?, did we not lose the first 3 games last year. To me supporting a football club is as important as supporting the team on the pitch, if that makes sense. I am
Sure we will an improved squad come 1st of September.

Ruffy

Jun 24, 2014
Spot on that man, I second this !! As for lack of entertainment on the pitch like it was said in the post above Sami has players that have played slow for the last couple of seasons, you can only
P*** with the C*** you have got, let's see what he does when he brings the players he wants in ?!

Bring back Gullys Girls..... that'll give some more entertainment on the pitch, especially with the new uni students ;) :p

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I can understand people getting frustrated, we pay a lot to watch the club and are expectations are high, rightly so in my opinion. What I would say about the weekend is, nobody likes losing, nobody likes losing their opening game, but it's not the end of the world. We haven't got our final side in place yet, and our defeat at the weekend can be summed up by a good goal (maybe slightly lucky) and a sending off. If we'd got hammered 3 or 4 nil then yes we may be worried, but 1-0 in the circumstances described isn't massive to turn around. On another day that shot may have gone over, crofts would have been booked and we might have won it 1-0. Fine lines between winning and losing and we were on the wrong side on saturday. that's all. There's plenty of time for us to improve and get better. Finally a genuine question for any fan gutted by saturday and this isn't to have a dig but to make you feel better, did you think going into saturday that that was our finsihed side for the season? Because I think everyone knows it wasn't and expects us to add a few more, with that in mind yes its annoying we weren't ready for the opener but we've still got plenty of time to get things right.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If someone had asked me to pick a team to play at home on the first day of the Season, Sheffield Wednesday would have been one of them- to go down so meekly to such an unfancied team is what's so worrying, as there won't be many teams below Sheffield Wednesday come the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here