Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Levels of concern

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'd be grateful if people could tell me if I qualify for bedwetter status.

My current position is - I am assured that the club will have a viable squad by Sept 1st, if so, the chances are that we will be 10/12 points off the pace by then. Realistically that means top two position is out and we will be hoping to squeeze into the play offs based on either a fantastic late season run (when our players have finally settled) or everyone else ****ing up. It is entirely possible that our season may have been rendered pointless by the time the team get going. I'm not sure that this is a PLR approach.

My second concern is that we seem to have employed (again) a manager with a "system". This system needs players to change their natural game and requires new purchases to either fit that system or change their playing style, I'm not sure that we can afford players with the level of skill required to do this.

Unsure of my status, please advise.

Concerned fan or the type of bedwetting loon you despair of.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Concerned fan/Bedwetter are the same thing as far as I can tell.

Anyone who dare voice a concern about the way we play, our transfer dealings or anything less than 100% club positive is now branded a bedwetter by the ubers.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I would suggest that you are presently here:

Part 1.png

Should things go wrong tomorrow and next week however:

Part 2.JPG

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

My current position is - I am assured that the club will have a viable squad by Sept 1st, if so, the chances are that we will be 10/12 points off the pace by then. Realistically that means top two position is out and we will be hoping to squeeze into the play offs based on either a fantastic late season run (when our players have finally settled) or everyone else ****ing up. It is entirely possible that our season may have been rendered pointless by the time the team get going. I'm not sure that this is a PLR approach.

My second concern is that we seem to have employed (again) a manager with a "system". This system needs players to change their natural game and requires new purchases to either fit that system or change their playing style, I'm not sure that we can afford players with the level of skill required to do this.

Unsure of my status, please advise.

I think you are leaning more to being considered a bedwetter rather than a brown nose. The brown nose generally accepts every statement the club makes and can never see any fault whatsoever, in any action, the club takes or fails to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not really getting the 'season over' by 31.08 vibe.

From then on they'll be 128 points up for grabs having missed out on a maximum of 15.

However as first impressions go, that wasn't great for Sami.
I believed we had the squad to beat an average, at best, Wednesday :lol: and yet we started with a team that was never going to win.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My concern levels are low, but there is a nagging doubt that can only be rectified by quality signings by the end of the window. I am a patient chap, but if this window turns out to be a poor one, then I can understand why many people will be exploding with anger/frustration etc, if they are not already of course. I trust, at this moment in time, that the club processes are in place to deliver a good squad that will compete. If they do not though, I will have some serious doubts as to whether those processes are correct. At this moment in time, it is too early to tell and this has been my point to those with damp pyjamas.

We are right to play by the FFP rules and that is definitely hindering us at the moment, but we must still be able to sign good quality players within those restrictions - we are right to play the long game and hope that FFP levels the playing field a bit but, at the same time, we cannot end up with a journeyman squad.

I do not think our season will be left pointless by the end of the month though - this is highly competitive league with many sides that will challenge and I cannot see anyone running away with it. A decent run will see us up there and I would rather that run came late in the season rather than early. Wigan, Reading, Baadiff and Fulham have not got off to the best of starts either.

As for systems it is too early to tell, but whilst the previous systems were good ones we were always lacking that cutting edge in the final third and no system will thrive without that. I suspect that Sami is more amenable to changing things that the 2 previous incumbents however, but we will see.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

From then on they'll be 128 points up for grabs having missed out on a maximum of 15.

I believed we had the squad to beat an average, at best, Wednesday :lol: and yet we started with a team that was never going to win.

I didn't mean that it would be over by then just that it will depend hugely on how quickly 4/5 new players can fit in (if they do). Quickly - in with a chance, Slowly - much less of a chance, they don't - no chance.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

On September 11th 2011, we topped the league after 6 games having gained 16 points from the first 18. In 23rd place were Reading who had 4 points having lost 4 of their first 6. Forty games later Reading were champions on 89 points, we finished 10th on 66. Palace the following season had 0 points when the transfer window closed, managed to reach the play offs by the end of it.

The league is a marathon with lots of twists and turns, it isn't won or lost in August.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Not sure about the OP's diagnosis, but here's a remedy:

Dosage:
Take 1 tablet every defeat.
No more than 4 tablets in any 4 week period.

Side-effects of bedwetting may include regular headache, mild depression, reduced perspective, increase in short-term thinking and loss of overall vision.

bed001_3.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Concerned fan/Bedwetter are the same thing as far as I can tell.

Anyone who dare voice a concern about the way we play, our transfer dealings or anything less than 100% club positive is now branded a bedwetter by the ubers.

Deffo not the same. Like the post from Guiness Boy yesterday the OP has voiced his concerns with a bit of balance and there's no knee jerk reactions or calls for sackings.

To qualify as a bedwetter it has to read like a demanding child wrote it and would usually contain some kind of demands based on spurious assumptions.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what keeps me going is that I think there a plan afoot, we are going to buy/loan some really good players, we are going to let Buckers go and spend that and other money on some quality players.

or I hope that is what is going to happen

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Definitely a bedwetter in my humble opinion, as neither of your points make sense.

The first assumes that we will get no points (I think we will) and the teams that will finish first and second will get max points (they probably won't).

Secondly, you're worried that Sami has a system when he's said emphatically that he doesn't believe in having a system as such and that he needs to find a way of playing that works for the players we have.

NSC Blog

It's good. Read it.
Jul 28, 2011
From the NSC match report: http://www.northstandchat.com/list.php?category/3-Match-Reports

Sami has got a big job on his hands. The player recruitment team need to get some deals completed to help him out, but that's not the full story. There's work to do on the training ground to get the best out of what we already have - because this was well short of it. We go again in three days, and the League Cup game has probably now assumed a touch more importance. Let's hope to see some signs of progress

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Personally I think the squad is better than what it showed on Saturday. Whether the current style/tactics suit the players in it is a whole different question (whether that formation will work is also a wide open question).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Deffo not the same. Like the post from Guiness Boy yesterday the OP has voiced his concerns with a bit of balance and there's no knee jerk reactions or calls for sackings.

To qualify as a bedwetter it has to read like a demanding child wrote it and would usually contain some kind of demands based on spurious assumptions.

That should be the way it is, but I've seen people with very reasonable concerns labelled bedwetters so in practice this isn't happening!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Just as a matter of interest what side would you have started with

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Re: Bedwetting fans:

I've heard from a sauce that the management have picked up on this and the club shop will soon be stocking rubber sheets, complete with seagull and nike branding motifs = is this just yet another way of fleecing more dosh from our beleaguered fan base?

An alternative will also be on sale based on a new style of huggies pull-ups with a blue and white striped pattern for the under 18 fans suffering from this shocking and debilitating ailment.

Stock is due in before 30-Aug ..... apparently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here