Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tell me about coving

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So we've just bought a new house. One of the bedrooms had some particularly unpleasant built-in wardrobes in it. We've now pulled those out.

As a result one side of the room has no coving, and the last metre or so of the two adjoining walls do not either.

Assuming we can find the same coving still, is it easy enough to DIY it to complete the two sides and and so the remaining side? If so, will the joins look rubbish or can they be blended in well.

Or is it worth just pulling all the coving down and re-doing the whole room (or getting a chap in to do the same)?

Thanks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Coving is soooo 80s. I got rid of it in my house, right angles all the way! It looks much better.

Agreed. Pull it all off. Redecorate. It's all about clean sharp lines. Coving is a yesterday's man

It becomes a far bigger job taking that approach as, behind where the wardrobe was, the plasterboard stuff on the wall doesn't extend to the very top of the wall, so that would have to come down and the whole wall re-done. Finishing the coving would nicely cover that up!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Getting the mitre corners is the hardest bit especially as very few rooms have proper 90 degree corners.

Make sure you fill, sand, fill and sand the joins and build up the paint in layers across the whole length.

But it's delaying the inevitable. You will one day want to rip it all off.

Don't get me started on faux ceiling roses!!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
What's coving?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Long as the corners don't have big gaps on the joins then a bit of decorators caulkwould fill them.....presuming u will be painting them after

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depends how old the house is, and what the coving is like.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It becomes a far bigger job taking that approach as, behind where the wardrobe was, the plasterboard stuff on the wall doesn't extend to the very top of the wall, so that would have to come down and the whole wall re-done. Finishing the coving would nicely cover that up!

Nasty. I would still rather completely re-do it. However, if coving is your choice, probably best to do whole room IMO. ......or you could colour the coving to offset main colour of decor

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
.....or try this

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407709424.917187.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1407709424.917187.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 951

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I prefer picture rail or something like that. Means you can do nice things with colour and use the rail as a break.

It's very cheap from a timber merchant, but I usually put it up myself.

I have a Victorian place with high ceilings so it looks right. Pulled all the existing coving down.

I'm not a huge fan of caulk. I usually mix filler powder with 50% water and PVA. It's goes the opposite of the flexible approach and dries rock hard and I mean rock hard. You need to get it smooth before drying because it's very difficult to rub down.

But it's great to fill bigger holes and dries very quickly. That deep fill stuff is a waste of money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't skimp ....Artex the ceiling at the same time, go for a nice combed fan pattern :)

And paint the walls a nice pastel colour and the coving white. I reckon a car port might add a few quid to the house price as well.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Coving comes in 2 standard sizes so no problems getting it to match.
Stick it up with Easifill smeared on back edges and a couple of nails for support. Use the easifill to sort out any other holes and indentations while you are at it.
If your "coving" is anything other than a smooth arc (fluting, darts, whirly bits) them it is not coving but cornice. Go to Brighton mouldings and see if they have a match. Probably best ask them to do it too. Or ask me but I am busy. X

Ahh Bozza. It is what I do for a living. I do the fancy plaster mouldings and have done for the past 25 years. Some of you may not believe it but it has never gone out fashion. I have worked in some of the biggest and best houses. The latest fashion is contemporary and art deco style cornices.Enough of the advertising, I would be happy to give advice to such an esteemed mod:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here