Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Flags at the Staduim

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Yesterday I was told by stewards that we weren't allowed to take the flag ( that has been taken to football for over 8 years) to the games at the Amex as I didn't have a safety certificate. When they first asked I though they were joking and told them we had been putting it up all last season and it was never questioned. Has anyone else had this problem when taking flags to the ground and if so how do you get a safety certificate. :down:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sounds like they are doing their best to create a "Wall of Bollocks" at The Amex...

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Sounds like they are doing their best to create a "Wall of Bollocks" at The Amex...

The email that I received from Chris Baker was that the club like the flags as they help create a good atmosphere. The issue is that its over a metre square and need to be certified!! They appear to be doing their best to make everything awkward

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
The email that I received from Chris Baker was that the club like the flags as they help create a good atmosphere. The issue is that its over a metre square and need to be certified!! They appear to be doing their best to make everything awkward

I sent in a complaint. They did it at Burnley but my flag was a cheap one that isn't even good enough to burn. I ordered a custom one with a fire certificate with it! :)

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I sent in a complaint. They did it at Burnley but my flag was a cheap one that isn't even good enough to burn. I ordered a custom one with a fire certificate with it! :)

My brother brought it from a proper flag company and it wasn't cheap but like most of us he can't remember where it was as it was 8 years ago.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think the club are worried about spontaneous combustion: If a pile of organic waste (Brighton flag) is soaked in water (tears of anger) and left on the terraces (Concrete stand), then the microbial decomposition of the waste will generate enough heat to set said flag alight. Sadly the heat will not be enough to set the players alight in their next match, it will take a bolt of lightning to do that!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I think the club are worried about spontaneous combustion: If a pile of organic waste (Brighton flag) is soaked in water (tears of anger) and left on the terraces (Concrete stand), then the microbial decomposition of the waste will generate enough heat to set said flag alight. Sadly the heat will not be enough to set the players alight in their next match, it will take a bolt of lightning to do that!

Probably right - it certainly couldn't be that some drunk idiot might be tempted to set fire to it - could it ???

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yep we had the same in north stand block A yesterday, I mentioned it already in another thread that we had to take it down as we never had a fire certificate for it
To be honest I just couldn't be arsed to argue I just laughed and the apathy set in about trying to create an atmosphere, just stood there like a good little boy not swearing or decorating THE AMEX IN A WALL OF COLOUR as the club announced us to do during the week
Modern sterile football no flags no standing and too many hitler jobsworth stewards

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Are the new Nike shirts fire retardant?

Would explain the price....fire retardancy costs!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Has everybody got a fire certificate for their scarfs

That will probably be mentioned at Tuesday match!

I laughed at them when they said. I thought they were joking.

I did say to them that I had been bringing it all last season and that worrying about flags should be the least of the issues when all the seats and tables in the disabled area of the north comer were filthy and that we had no kiosk.
If I was them I would be more worried about what we have/haven't got on the pitch to win football matches instead of flags

To repeat a much told story on here, at last seasons sussex senior cup final 3 Peacehaven Flags and one Bognor flag were prevented from being hung by the stewards despite 28000 empty seats, as peacehaven took a 3-0 lead and there was not that long left I decided to be a naughty boy and remove it from my bag and hold it up, my fellow fans got involved and it ended up being passed over the heads of the 700 in our section, as it dissapeared into the crowd I was told "get that back now or you'll be thrown out!" It was only eight foot wide FFS, when it reached the top it was confiscated by a steward and despite several efforts to locate it, it has never been recovered. It cost over fifty quid only the week before.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
How is a 8ft by 5ft flag a fire hazard in a massive CONCRETE bowl of a no smoking stadium a fire hazard, it's not 1970 when stands where made of wood and every other person smoked

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Probably right - it certainly couldn't be that some drunk idiot might be tempted to set fire to it - could it ???

How many flags do you know that have been set alight by 'Drunk idiots' at football grounds over the last few years? What the club are against is people expressing their anger/frustration/etc against the club being aired in public, i.e. being large enough to attract the attention of the popular press :- better to ban anything that might express concern than address that concern....

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
How many flags do you know that have been set alight by 'Drunk idiots' at football grounds over the last few years? What the club are against is people expressing their anger/frustration/etc against the club being aired in public, i.e. being large enough to attract the attention of the popular press :- better to ban anything that might express concern than address that concern....

http://www.worldbulletin.net/todays-news/133198/turkey-condemns-burning-of-its-flag-in-greek-cyprus]

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21102010/2/photo/21102010201837.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...atch-report-Jurgen-Klopps-quarter-finals.html

http://dalje.com/en-world/croatian-...-massive-brawl-in-serbian-club-in-linz/460638

http://article.wn.com/view/2014/03/21/Russian_Fans_Burned_Team_Banner_Not_German_Flag_Club_Pres/

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
We're situated in the West Stand Upper, North End, and we were asked to take our flag down by a Senior Steward, at the beginning of last season, as we hadn't supplied a fire safety certificate. We were also bemused at this, as we'd been displaying large flags up there since we started playing at the Amex.

We then acquired afterwards why fans in other parts of the ground hadn't been asked to take their banners and flags down, and we were told that they had already produced Fire Safety Certificates to the club... reading this today, this clearly is untrue!!!

We managed to arrange certificates to be sent to the club by the next game, so I am now legal to display! :thumbsup:

Even the steward who stands next to our flag thought it was OTT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here