Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** Update: Will Buckley moves to Sunderland confirmed, three-year deal **

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I know what you're saying mate and kind of agree but it seems to me that the heart of what was a very successful team has long since been ripped out and the rebuilding has only just begun.

Buckley and Kaz both have the same problem as far as I can see, they are both wingers in a team that appears to be playing without any, so while both are capable of playing the inside forward role, unfortunately both are also an injury waiting to happen.

For now we have interest in Buckley does it not make sense to get as much as we can and try and use this to rebuild the team into one that can play the new system?

As far as I am aware there has been no interest in kaz as yet, but if there is I would expect him to be allowed to leave to. Its not unusual for a new manager to want to build a team his way, it seems to me like this is happening with our club right now. But I am concerned that we have under 3 weeks left for permanent signings and still a lot of work to do.

I can see the logic in this but I would have thought it prudent to get replacements in BEFORE letting them go.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I know what you're saying mate and kind of agree but it seems to me that the heart of what was a very successful team has long since been ripped out and the rebuilding has only just begun.

Buckley and Kaz both have the same problem as far as I can see, they are both wingers in a team that appears to be playing without any, so while both are capable of playing the inside forward role, unfortunately both are also an injury waiting to happen.

For now we have interest in Buckley does it not make sense to get as much as we can and try and use this to rebuild the team into one that can play the new system?

As far as I am aware there has been no interest in kaz as yet, but if there is I would expect him to be allowed to leave to. Its not unusual for a new manager to want to build a team his way, it seems to me like this is happening with our club right now. But I am concerned that we have under 3 weeks left for permanent signings and still a lot of work to do.

No interest in Kaz, perhaps other clubs see him for what he is.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I can see the logic in this but I would have thought it prudent to get replacements in BEFORE letting them go.

We would all like to see this, but sometimes you just have to take the offer while its there.

I know Brighton would never admit to Chris O'Grady being Ulloa's replacement but do you really think its a coincidence that the deal to bring him in was finalised at more or less the same time as Ulloa was allowed to leave? I think (hope) we will bring in higher profile players than COG but I'd be surprised if any of them are as similar in stature to Ulloa as COG is, we don't need 2 big target men unless one is strictly a bench warmer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Buckley will go, it's just a matter of when. There will be realisation that, from a PR perspective, letting another one of our (supposed) prize assets go before some good news in the other direction will not be a good thing.

As such my guess, and it is only a guess, is that we will see inward movement before Buckley goes. Adam Clayton is the likely one because, in Hyypia's style of play he's a replacement.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Borini, in mainly awful side if you look at the vast majority of Sunderland's season, was a quality striker last season. Not prolific, but PL quality.

To me Buckley is class. A rarity in our current depleted squad in that he has pace, vision and a quality pass. If we can improve the squad with quality in the next few weeks, it will help him and others. Granted his injury record is poor - but why the double standards - most fans gave/give CMS, Orlandi and Vicente a free pass on that very same issue?

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

Thanks for a well written reply, but we will have disagree, Buckley and Kaz are the only players we currently have that are capable of getting fans out their seats when they have the ball, a fit Buckley would have made a huge difference last season. The sale of Barnes, Bridcutt and Ulloa has provided around 12 million, surely some of this, re invested in the squad would be enough to provide adequate replacements without selling Buckley.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Borini, in mainly awful side if you look at the vast majority of Sunderland's season, was a quality striker last season. Not prolific, but PL quality.

To me Buckley is class. A rarity in our current depleted squad in that he has pace, vision and a quality pass. If we can improve the squad with quality in the next few weeks, it will help him and others. Granted his injury record is poor - but why the double standards - most fans gave/give CMS, Orlandi and Vicente a free pass on that very same issue?

I'm not sure you can put CMS's one bad injury in the same category as Orlandi or Vicente, who were perpetually niggled

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
He's always crocked for crying out loud...we need to get rid of injury prone players,its that simple!!!
Why should the club have to keep getting in cover for sick note players all the time?
We have a bit of an issue with buying injury prone players and lazy players in recent years,no wonder our wage bill has been so high.You get 5/6 injury prone players and they need to be covered wether its a free transfer or loans etc.I don't get why some fans can't grasp the fact that the likes of buckley are high earners that offer jack shite to the playing side.

If your washing machine keeps breaking down and you keep paying for repairs....what do you do?

I rest my case

You missed my point. If we had the numbers then fine. But with our record of actually signing players my point was we need to keep rather than sell. Come end of the transfer window we will have a shed load of cash and bugger all players

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thanks for a well written reply, but we will have disagree, Buckley and Kaz are the only players we currently have that are capable of getting fans out their seats when they have the ball, a fit Buckley would have made a huge difference last season. The sale of Barnes, Bridcutt and Ulloa has provided around 12 million, surely some of this, re invested in the squad would be enough to provide adequate replacements without selling Buckley.

I sincerely hope you are right, you would have thought the sale of Ulloa on its own would have been enough to seriously strengthen the team.

I do like Buckley and Kaz, I completely agree that seeing both fly past a full back, or Buckley getting through one on one with the keeper, Kaz coming inside and having a crack from the edge of the box, these are the moments you go to the game for but you said it yourself, a fit Buckley... When fit he is a match winner, when fit Poyet would be told to stick his money where the sun don't shine but will we ever see him fit for long enough to make a difference? I've got a feeling were about to find out if patience has worn out or not.

Good to have a sensible discussion by the way :lol:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We would all like to see this, but sometimes you just have to take the offer while its there.

I know Brighton would never admit to Chris O'Grady being Ulloa's replacement but do you really think its a coincidence that the deal to bring him in was finalised at more or less the same time as Ulloa was allowed to leave? I think (hope) we will bring in higher profile players than COG but I'd be surprised if any of them are as similar in stature to Ulloa as COG is, we don't need 2 big target men unless one is strictly a bench warmer.

Unfortunately it seems to me we are taking the offer far more often than not, rather than 'sometimes'. OK if we are winning and looking sound but that is far from the case now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You missed my point. If we had the numbers then fine. But with our record of actually signing players my point was we need to keep rather than sell. Come end of the transfer window we will have a shed load of cash and bugger all players

This....its all getting rather tedious and trying

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The constant sniping about Buckley's injuries - did Vicente and Orlandi get the same?

Yes.

What annoys most about Buckley is that he doesn't "pull up" when running as most players with dodgy hamstrings do. He suddenly looks to the bench sits on the floor, goes off and then declares himself fit in a post match interview. That can't be right. He's powder puff, not up to a battle, tackles like a wimp. Get rid. Been so poor since Christmas 2012, in fact ever since Poyet bigged him up.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Buckley will go, it's just a matter of when. There will be realisation that, from a PR perspective, letting another one of our (supposed) prize assets go before some good news in the other direction will not be a good thing.

As such my guess, and it is only a guess, is that we will see inward movement before Buckley goes. Adam Clayton is the likely one because, in Hyypia's style of play he's a replacement.

That sounds to me like you are saying the deal is done, but both clubs have agreed to sit on the news for a few days or until Brighton bring in a new signing, am I reading wrongly between the lines?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I can't remember the last time Buckley had a good game. It really makes you wonder about Sunderland's scouting. Have they seen him play in the last eighteen months?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
New manager, new broom, new sales and signings.

Clearly the boss doesn't rate Buckley or CMS so I fear that they will both move on. I can see a lot of changes over the next six months in and out, it's going to be a long season but we have to trust the board and manager to get it right. Let's be fair Bloom hasn't got a lot wrong since taking the Chair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here