Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calum Wilson,Ajose,Igor Vetokele,

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Odubajo,Pringle,Gregory,Assombalonga,Adeyemi,Ibe,Pritchard etc,.All young upcoming prospects that we should be in the market for!Wages would not be a problem with these guys, so cannot use the smokescreen of FFP bullshit! It seems that smaller clubs like Brentford,Bournemouth seem to have more clout and draw than us? Is our scouting system a complete joke, or do we even have one! It seems our current recruitment policy for young players is to look no further than Chelsea! Chris Walton is the only credible exception! There can be no excuses for this! Club needs to get a grip otherwise we will lag behind if we arent already!!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
One club one ambition = FFP

Not what others are interpreting it as.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I saw Odubajo and Vetokele yesterday. Odubajo was poor but Vetokele was man of the match, good in the air and on the ground. Not exactly Chris O'Grady, but ...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Whats tbe betting Burke will be getting slated on here by Tuesday cos we haven't signed any of these players who were our main targets, and we knew they were cos someone put athread about them on NSC

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I mentioned Wilson on many occasions last season. It was obvious he'd cut it at a higher level but as you say, the club don't seem to be able to sign players like him.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I really like Assombalonga but we were never going to pay £5.5m for him. £3m for Callum Wilson would probably have been considered too much by the club too

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Who are these players and are they better than what we already have?

I really like Assombalonga but we were never going to pay £5.5m for him. £3m for Callum Wilson would probably have been considered too much by the club too

And that's the nub of the issue. Wilson I think will be the signing of the season, he's better than Grabban and Britt A - and 10 times better than Baldock.

We're not going to start making progress at the top of the Championship again until we start making intelligent punts in the transfer market. Has the money spent on CMS now made us too scared to do so?

Ajose is not that good though, pretty much flopped on loan at Crawley

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And that's the nub of the issue. Wilson I think will be the signing of the season, he's better than Grabban and Britt A - and 10 times better than Baldock.

We're not going to start making progress at the top of the Championship again until we start making intelligent punts in the transfer market. Has the money spent on CMS now made us too scared to do so?

Bournemouth have a manager who I assume has a very big say in player recruitment, since Poyet I get the impression the coaches at BHA get the players they are given. A bean counter is not going to be up for taking the same risk as a hands on ambitious manager so I wouldn't hold your breath on an expensive gamble from the Albion.

Bournemouth have a manager who I assume has a very big say in player recruitment, since Poyet I get the impression the coaches at BHA get the players they are given. A bean counter is not going to be up for taking the same risk as a hands on ambitious manager so I wouldn't hold your breath on an expensive gamble from the Albion.

Don't worry I'm not! This season almost seems a test by the board how much fan loyalty and how much revenues they can still bring in without making any real meaningful big signings like a Wilson or a Grabban, or doing what Watford are doing by not selling Deeney.

Most of us will meet that test of course

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't worry I'm not! This season almost seems a test by the board how much fan loyalty and how much revenues they can still bring in without making any real meaningful big signings like a Wilson or a Grabban, or doing what Watford are doing by not selling Deeney.

Most of us will meet that test of course

The Albion have a hard core of about 8k, and it will sink back down to that if the playing side continues to be neglected over a couple more seasons IMO. I probably sound very dramatic but I do remember clearly how support fell away when we fell out of the First Division and the board ignored the unrest of the fans, and this was well before Archer and Stanley.

The Albion have a hard core of about 8k, and it will sink back down to that if the playing side continues to be neglected over a couple more seasons IMO. I probably sound very dramatic but I do remember clearly how support fell away when we fell out of the First Division and the board ignored the unrest of the fans, and this was well before Archer and Stanley.

The investment in our infrastructure though shows there is no real parallel with those days. That will continue to keep most fans content, even without big signings.

What "unrest" there will be will be mostly directed in a fairly useless and safe way against scapegoats, not against the board. It was to Bloom's credit that he weighed in so heavily to support David Burke in his programme notes yesterday. I was trying to think of another example when an Albion chairman has had to be so publically vocal in defending someone on non-playing staff below manager level, and I couldn't think of one!

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
But I thought we had secured all of our main targets, bloom et al are early satisfied with the business done.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Wasn't that said at the forum?

No. What was said was "We have our main targets", which could be interpreted either way. But there is no way that it should be - the targets are still there, we just haven't failed to sign them yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here