Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old sofa too large to exit lounge - sensible solutions please

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Please can someone advise with a viable solution.

It's a long story, but after some building alterations a while back, our sofa is 'land-locked' in the lounge. It's just a bit too long to get through the internal door, no matter what angle you take. (This was known at the time of the building works, but my spouse swore then that she was happy with that sofa forever! Well, just a few years later on, she wants it replaced).

I could irreparably damage the sofa by getting an end off, which would be enough to get it out. But what a waste. Without damage, it's part of a nice modern L-shaped sofa, in pretty good condition, and so could be sold on to give someone else many years use.

For any joiners, furniture bods, or just the very knowledgeable on NSC - can anyone advise or help me, on this problem? For example, can an end be taken off carefully and then properly reattached? Anyone with the skills able to help for some £?
Thanks in advance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We had a knoll sofa we sold on gumtree. A bloke gave us a hundred quid and then calmly sawed it in half so he could put it in the back of his new style mini cooper. Luckily the neighbour who had given it to us a few years earlier never saw him take it away.

Would taking door off hinges help or getting it through the window?

salazar

Jun 15, 2008
Haywards Heath
In most cases it is not cost effective to remove an arm or end section and put back together,unless the sofa is of a really good quality.It very much sounds that you will need to chop it up and take to the tip I'm afraid.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
turn it over and see if its bolted together. you'll find alot of sofas aren't small enough to get through a typical door, and they've thought of this, with the arms, backs and base being seperate.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Are you sure the arms of the sofa can't be removed? The reason I say this is we recently bought a new sofa and I was a bit worried the delivery men wouldn't be able to get it in the lounge. When it arrived it was assembled in situ. So maybe yours does the same.?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Create a vacuum in the other room by lighting then extinguishing a fire. The subsequent vacuum force created will squeeze the sofa through the gap. Remember the egg into milk bottle experiment at school?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Not if he's got old wooden sash windows.

Nonsense. You can take out a sash window and get it back in again in half an hour or less. Bit of touching up required where you ping out the staff bead though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here