Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A blog on Sami's system and attacking fullbacks (features snazzy heatmaps from today)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for that, interesting read.

Where did you get the heat maps and pass maps from?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Blimey! that's stat central!

Do they do that for every Championship game throughout the season?

Yes. It's quite impressive - and also shows that fullbacks' heatmaps are more advanced than from games from last season

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes. It's quite impressive - and also shows that fullbacks' heatmaps are more advanced than from games from last season

Thanks. Bookmarked. :thumbsup:

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
"multiple overload situations throughout the final third". What?

It's not the most concise wording, is it? Basically so that every defender is faced with a potential two-on-one when we're attacking their goal

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Surely you base your tactics around the players and their strengths. Aging fullbacks who have lost their pace are not going to be able to make this effective.

I lost count of the times in the first half Calde had space to run into but lacked the legs to be able to do it.

Thanks - interesting points. The advanced full-backs won't have come as any surprise though - that is why watching pre-seasons does have value despite what the sceptics say.

I agree with your overall thrust that we can only judge the new system once the players have had plenty of chances to make it bed in.

I will pronounce myself an early sceptic though - not because I dislike our Spaniards' attacking ability, but I just think LuaLua and Buckley/March might just do a better job at it out wide.

The sacrifices of the new system is that the midfielders have to hang back more. More importantly - Coke's goal has to be analysed not because it was a miss-hit cross (it was a great shot and he has a decent history of getting good long rangers) but just the amount of time he was given to line up his shot. Was Bruno AWOL at a key moment?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Fullbacks are key to the system Hyypia wants to play.
You really need 2 attack minded fullbacks.
You also need a midfield man who can really pick a pass and a CF with pace to stretch the back 4.
We are 3-4 good players away from a very decent side IMHO
Stockdale
Bruno hughes greer LB
Toko stephens and (clayton if this deal happens)
Buckley lualua
CF

Lots of options off the bench as well
Walton
Dunk
Caalderon
Ince
JFC
crofts
Cms
March
COG
Makes much better viewing

Fullbacks are key to the system Hyypia wants to play.
You really need 2 attack minded fullbacks.
You also need a midfield man who can really pick a pass and a CF with pace to stretch the back 4.
We are 3-4 good players away from a very decent side IMHO
Stockdale
Bruno hughes greer LB
Toko stephens and (clayton if this deal happens)
Buckley lualua
CF

Lots of options off the bench as well
Walton
Dunk
Caalderon
Ince
JFC
crofts
Cms
March
COG
Makes much better viewing

Couldn't agree more, though we'd play all systems better with better players

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The trouble is the ball was not in the same place as the heat spots enough.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Some calamine lotion could help in reducing those heat spots. Seriously, if all players were of equal ability and stamina this kind of nonsense might have some merit but matches are won and lost with individual bits of skill and intuition. That's what what we fans pay to see, not automatons trying to play a system. Tim Sherwood has got it right, you put 11 good players onto the pitch and they will find their own way to win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here