Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Three years and three days ago, £1m signing Will Buckley burst on to the Albion scene by coming off the bench and scoring twice at the death vs Doncaster to win the inaugural league game at the Amex ahead of a mostly sparkling season leading Gus to rate him at £10m.

As Goldstone said in the player ratings thread - what on earth has happened to him?

He seems to have lost his pace and ability to beat players, his goals have dried up and his all round ability seems to have evaporated.

What does Sami have to do to get the best out of him and get him back to that standard again? Is he still capable of it?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
His biggest asset is his pace, which looks to have been seriously affected by the numerous hamstring injuries he's suffered.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Three years and three days ago, £1m signing Will Buckley burst on to the Albion scene by coming off the bench and scoring twice at the death vs Doncaster to win the inaugural league game at the Amex ahead of a mostly sparkling season leading Gus to rate him at £10m.

As Goldstone said in the player ratings thread - what on earth has happened to him?

He seems to have lost his pace and ability to beat players, his goals have dried up and his all round ability seems to have evaporated.

What does Sami have to do to get the best out of him and get him back to that standard again? Is he still capable of it?

Not sure if it's physical or mental with him.

It almost seems as if he doesn't want to extend his hamstrings too much. It is worrying.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Its pretty clear his confidence has taken a battering because he's lost a yard of pace.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not a inside forward but a quality winger, if we keep the formation can't see where he will fit in. Big shame if that's the case.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Obviously it's not on the same scale but Torres and Owen are two examples of players who were never quite the same after suffering many hamstring injuries. I have a feeling the same may have happened to Buckley.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Agree with what people are say but the biggest worry for me is he still looked our best attacking threat today.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I have found that Buckley can shine in the big games but seems to have lost attention and focus now that the glitz and glamour of the Poyet era has come to an end. Under Poyet he could be up an down but infrequently and he was a real benefit in the starting line up or on the bench. Never seems to have shrugged off the hangover from the Poyet play off failure.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Exactly as Watford fans said on his arrival. Can be brilliant, liable to injury, can disappear to insignificance. Last year we have had latter two. Said at time, should have sold in January. His star has rarely shone last two seasons for long.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Always blown hot and cold. You sell high with a player like that while you have a set-up that can attract players of similar class as replacements

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Which players who played today havent got a thread complaining about them?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agree with what people are say but the biggest worry for me is he still looked our best attacking threat today.

I'll admit I'm speaking from a certain degree of ignorance as I wasn't there today, but Buckley at his least effective still makes a bigger contribution than JFC, who hasn't hurt an opposing team with a pass for over a season.

Now THERE is a player who has gone backwards. He was perfect for the Oscar team, pointlessly keeping possession with safe, short passes that seldom, if ever, did any damage. Maybe Sami will encourage him to look forward occasionally, but I think that part of his game has died off since that debut against Southampton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here