Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I quite enjoyed the game

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
I really cannot believe the negativity on NSC this evening. Sure we all wanted a win.........so did every set of fans this afternoon. We lost 1-0 for God's sake, playing with 10 men for a hell of a time, (red card, not sure). Up until the sending off we were by far the better team and would probably have gone on to win comfortably.
For what it's worth, I thought Hughes had a solid game, very much in the Upson mould. Everyone has been putting down Chicksen and then as soon as Calde steps up the plate, that is wrong too.
We are missing Stevens. We may still get Clayton. Don't we all think a midfield comprising those two plus Crofts might just be pretty impressive??
Personally I think we robbed Leicester with the £10m for Ulloa. At least O'Grady holds the ball up well and I don't remember him falling over!!
Agreed Fenelon looked average but hey........reward someone who has had a great pre season.
I loved the new tactics. No passing backwards that we were all moaning about.
I will always trust the management of my Seagulls to bring in someone to eventually bang in the goals that our play deserves. I hope it is someone none of has heard of before.
Yes we are 18th, but we are just 3 points from the top.
Give Sami a chance. He has only had a few weeks and I for one quite liked what I saw today.
Some of us need to get our heads out of our backsides. We no more deserve the Prem than any of the other Champo sides just because our set up is so amazing. We Will get there and possibly this season with a couple or so more additions.
Hats off to the Wednesday support today.......brilliant. A true Yorkshire club, unlike the other pretender!
Up the Albion.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You can't come on here and show a bit of perspective, we are the worst team ever to (dis)grace a football pitch!!

About the best post i have ever read on here

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I really cannot believe the negativity on NSC this evening. Sure we all wanted a win.........so did every set of fans this afternoon. We lost 1-0 for God's sake, playing with 10 men for a hell of a time, (red card, not sure). Up until the sending off we were by far the better team and would probably have gone on to win comfortably.
For what it's worth, I thought Hughes had a solid game, very much in the Upson mould. Everyone has been putting down Chicksen and then as soon as Calde steps up the plate, that is wrong too.
We are missing Stevens. We may still get Clayton. Don't we all think a midfield comprising those two plus Crofts might just be pretty impressive??
Personally I think we robbed Leicester with the £10m for Ulloa. At least O'Grady holds the ball up well and I don't remember him falling over!!
Agreed Fenelon looked average but hey........reward someone who has had a great pre season.
I loved the new tactics. No passing backwards that we were all moaning about.
I will always trust the management of my Seagulls to bring in someone to eventually bang in the goals that our play deserves. I hope it is someone none of has heard of before.
Yes we are 18th, but we are just 3 points from the top.
Give Sami a chance. He has only had a few weeks and I for one quite liked what I saw today.
Some of us need to get our heads out of our backsides. We no more deserve the Prem than any of the other Champo sides just because our set up is so amazing. We Will get there and possibly this season with a couple or so more additions.
Hats off to the Wednesday support today.......brilliant. A true Yorkshire club, unlike the other pretender!
Up the Albion.

Yes likewise. It was an even game and we lost. I thought the defence was good ,but midfield was very poor. Goodwin was not up to it and CMS will start from now on. Adge whatever was very poor. He needs to go.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Up until the sending off we were by far the better team and would probably have gone on to win comfortably.
Up the Albion.

Admire your calm perspective and often accurate summary there, however I feel I must take issue with the above point. Personally I did not feel that we were the better team in an evenly balanced match at any stage before this point, indeed we looked better than at any point when down to 10 where at least we DID create and make the keeper do something.
Just an opinion mind.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not worried about the result or to a certain degree the performance as the first game of the season is always a bit of a lottery anyway, what does concern me is the glaringly obvious weaknesses in the team that we all know about but the club are not resolving.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
To be fair, I didn't see lots wrong with our tactics. It was more the players coordinating their feet and the ball, that was where the problems were coming from today.

We were trying the right things, it was the execution that let us down.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not having this, you've not mentioned Burke or Barber in a derogatory fashion, you've not moaned about season tickets, travelling, kiosks, queues, referees, the weather, gaza or Iraq.

I've not been to the game, so I need my share of pessimism snd whining and I'm sorry but you've just not provided it.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
"Gone on to win comfortably" We will never know of course but I think that's stretching the imagination a little too thinly.

We lost only 1-0 because Wednesday were as poor as us. A good team would have probably put 3 or 4 past us today.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We weren't by far the better side but we were better and I think the sending off probably denied us a possible draw.
The game overall wasn't that bad, no where near as boring as last years matches with the tippy tappy no shots from outside the box stuff.
We had more shots today than in probably five games in a row compared to last season.
Four quality signings and I mean fast, strong with pace and organisation and we will be there I believe.
No pace upfront at all until CMS came on, personally I think he should play in centre midfield.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought we played reasonably well until Wednesday scored.

Did I enjoy the game? Good grief no. We only looked like scoring around the 70th minute. We have some players who are just not good enough (Including the players who came on as subs). We lost to a very poor side. The better sides will crucify us at the moment (And I'm usually a glass half full man).

No one, on our coach back home, enjoyed the game.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I thought for those first 40 minutes we didn't look bad at all. From my lofty perch in WSU I could see what we were trying to do, we kept them quiet and pressed when we could, KLL had his shot stopped and COG had a couple of chances where he could have hit it but delayed, shifted feet and missed the opportunity.

Their goal came just after the free kick they had that should have been brought back and unfortunately we got done by a good strike by them.

The only thing I struggle to understand is why we are now playing so narrow, KLL was more central today when we all know he's better out wide terrorising right backs, Buckley is also best hugging the touch line.

CMS runs for his life into spaces but yet we still don't play the balls into those spaces.

I'm not overly concerned yet, there is still a long way to go...

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The match hinged on four things:
chance to Lua Lua not converted
chance to POG no converted
speculative effort from Coke that found top corner
Crofts sent off

Football is a nearly, nearly game and this could easily have gone our way. Where I do share concerns is lack of striker and that SW are frankly not that great.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can only comment on what they said on Sky, which was that we had by far the greater possession, but the build up play was far too slow, alloewng Weds to get back into position. We were the only ones who looked like scoring up until the goal, and after that, we didn't much look like equalising.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My dad and I came away with a similar feeling to the OP. Even with 10 men, we came very close to equalising a couple of times after Buckley came on, and I don't recall Stockdale making a save.

I also think that the ratings given to Ince on the other thread have been unfair; he was MoM for me.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We weren't by far the better side but we were better and I think the sending off probably denied us a possible draw.
The game overall wasn't that bad, no where near as boring as last years matches with the tippy tappy no shots from outside the box stuff.
We had more shots today than in probably five games in a row compared to last season.
Four quality signings and I mean fast, strong with pace and organisation and we will be there I believe.
No pace upfront at all until CMS came on, personally I think he should play in centre midfield.

I go with this apart from the CMS bit. I would also focus on Ulloa's replacement. The team needs belief and belief that there is a player in the team which will score goals. Leo gave them this. There was nobody there to do that today. The season depends on it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hangover from last season

Went as expected except for the sending off and absence of an equaliser.

For some reason Wednesday are especially difficult for the Albion. 1-1 would have been fair. Not much better than the Blackburn v Cardiff match.

A chance to look at the new players. Stockdale, nothing to do but distribution and a bit short of the mark, but I put that down to being rusty. Caught the ball once when Polish keepers might have punched it. O'Grady actually did better than Ulloa against the Wednesday defence, which is next to nothing. Their central pair are either quite good or play well at the Amex? That's twice that they have done that.

Lualua looked a bit slower than usual, but stronger on the ball. I did not really notice Aaron Hughes. We were down to ten men before we even got into the game.

If Wednesday had any forwards they could be a surprise package. Beanpole was particularly useless.

I don't think both teams were too bad. Definitely lacked class though. Wednesday reminded me of Derby and Hull without the class players. Albion looked like they have ditched the wing play (without Buckley) which was a mistake if the team cannot get through the centre. Points thrown away. I think Stephen Ward might have made the difference.

In the first half we did not keep hold of the ball even as much we usually do and this for me was a step backwards.

Crowd: 26,993, below average as anticipated.

It looked like a hangover from last season.

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Went as expected except for the sending off and absence of an equaliser.

For some reason Wednesday are especially difficult for the Albion. 1-1 would have been fair. Not much better than the Blackburn v Cardiff match.

A chance to look at the new players. Stockdale, nothing to do but distribution and a bit short of the mark, but I put that down to being rusty. Caught the ball once when Polish keepers might have punched it. O'Grady actually did better than Ulloa against the Wednesday defence, which is next to nothing. Their central pair are either quite good or play well at the Amex? That's twice that they have done that.

Lualua looked a bit slower than usual, but stronger on the ball. I did not really notice Aaron Hughes. We were down to ten men before we even got into the game.

If Wednesday had any forwards they could be a surprise package. Beanpole was particularly useless.

I don't think both teams were too bad. Definitely lacked class though. Wednesday reminded me of Derby and Hull without the class players. Albion looked like they have ditched the wing play (without Buckley) which was a mistake if the team cannot get through the centre. Points thrown away. I think Stephen Ward might have made the difference.

In the first half we did not keep hold of the ball even as much we usually do and this for me was a step backwards.

Crowd: 26,993, below average as anticipated.

It looked like a hangover from last season.

So much of what you say is correct.
I really think Ward would have made the difference.
Kaz looked a different player. Stronger on the ball, but not the usual marauding wing play.
Calde was so far up, it was scary.
No one has yet said it but hey, Sami really went for it with Kaz, Buckley, CMS and COG.........and only 10 men. Respect!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here