Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going backwards in every respect

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Right. Glad I've got your attention. Obviously it's the first game of a long season. Obviously the transfer window closes at the end of August and we appear to have several irons in several fires. Obviously playing with 10 men against a team as adept at time wasting as Wednesday is never going to turn out well. Obviously we still have a club, The Amex is lovely, the seats are padded yada, yada, yada.

Nevertheless I am about to wet the bed. Regular readers on here and of last season's blog will know this is actually out of character. I understand FFP. I understand how much money TB has put in and, no, I don't have that much myself. I understand we have the best Academy in the country and this is going to give us a rosy long term future. So I have to say:

When you start with Shamir Fenelon and O'Grady in the Championship where once it was Barnes and Ulloa you are going backwards. When you have to play your reserve right back as a left wing back you are going backwards. When you play another ex-devteam squad player as one of two holding midfielders when his major weakness is tackling you are going backwards. When you no longer have Mathew Upson reading the game and controlling the spine you are going backwards. When your answer to this is to put on an overweight, out of favour player with the pace of a snail on mogadon and who cannot accurately pass a bottle of port you are going backwards.

This squad doesn't need three or four additions. It needs major surgery.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Right. Glad I've got your attention. Obviously it's the first game of a long season. Obviously the transfer window closes at the end of August and we appear to have several irons in several fires. Obviously playing with 10 men against a team as adept at time wasting as Wednesday is never going to turn out well. Obviously we still have a club, The Amex is lovely, the seats are padded yada, yada, yada.

Nevertheless I am about to wet the bed. Regular readers on here and of last season's blog will know this is actually out of character. I understand FFP. I understand how much money TB has put in and, no, I don't have that much myself. I understand we have the best Academy in the country and this is going to give us a rosy long term future. So I have to say:

When you start with Shamir Fenelon and O'Grady in the Championship where once it was Barnes and Ulloa you are going backwards. When you have to play your reserve right back as a left wing back you are going backwards. When you play another ex-devteam squad player as one of two holding midfielders when his major weakness is tackling you are going backwards. When you no longer have Mathew Upson reading the game and controlling the spine you are going backwards. When your answer to this is to put on an overweight, out of favour player with the pace of a snail on mogadon and who cannot accurately pass a bottle of port you are going backwards.

This squad doesn't need three or four additions. It needs major surgery.

Have to agree but let's see what happens in next couple of weekes but 1st showing is ringing alarm bells more than the 1st couple of games last season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am pretty disappointed in Tony and his cohorts rather dismissive approach to this season. We are a club going backwards on the field and it has been obvious to some since the beginning of last season. Maybe it will all change over the next week, I fear it won't.

If this is how it has to be, at least be honest with us, we can take it.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I think that the Leeds game will come at a good time in so much as it will prove a great yardstick as to where we are right now. Another club with, let's put it kindly, issues right now. Whilst we obviously have B'ham prior to this, and indeed I am looking forward to it intensely, the Leeds game will be another where we will be missing Crofts whom I feel is becoming increasingly important to us overall.
I do not feel like a slag-fest even though there are plenty of only too obvious targets although Kemy does deserve a special mention.
Early doors, let us remain behind the team. It will improve, but as I have mentioned before, not overnight.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Was that the worst performance since pre Gus days. I cant think of a worse one. It was as if the players havent learnt what Sami wants or are not capable of doing it.

Or, is what he is asking them to do not very good?

D

Deleted member 22389

Really dissapointed today, but then again I wasn't expecting anything exciting. I knew we where short of players and I am never one to moan about lack of signings, seeing the performance today and the reports from pre-season we need some quality players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even my rosy spectacles are currently on the end of my nose, and not up at and over the bridge.

We didn't start with a team capable of winning the game.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It feels to me that the club have put so much time and effort into the new training ground and nike sponsorship that they've forgotten what really makes the club work, Players and fans.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Was that the worst performance since pre Gus days. I cant think of a worse one. It was as if the players havent learnt what Sami wants or are not capable of doing it.

I know, I know. We were ripped apart, they laid seige to our goal and we were lucky not to ship in double figures from the hatful of clear cut chances we gifted them. At the other end we never got a shot off and looked hopelessly outclassed.

D

Deleted member 22389

Even my rosy spectacles are currently on the end of my nose, and not up at and over the bridge.

We didn't start with a team capable of winning the game.

My rose tinted spectacles where on all last season, after the match they finally fell off. It's not like me at all, but I just hope we get at least one signing next week.
Saying that I love the way we are going forward and not backwards like we did under Oscar. Our new keeper really didn't have a lot to do, but neither did the Wed keeper.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Pretty much agree. I've kept quiet and patient but now it is looking a little sketchy to say the least! Sheffield Wednesday were poor as well. If both squads stay the same after August then we will be battling with Wednesday to stay in the Championship!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Can't argue with any of that. The apathy I felt this morning was vindicated. Can't take anything positive away from that performance.

Vindicated eh? Sounds like it gave you a lot more satisfaction than 3 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here