Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The style/formation?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
All through pre-season we have seen that Sami is trying to implement a new style, but, what is it?

Seems to be a 4-3-3/4-5-1 but ends up this strange hybrid of different things. Got the full backs pushing right on which means that the wingers are tucking in a lot (in my opinion limiting LuaLua and especially Buckley) but the thing for me was when the full backs push Crofts and/or JFC were covering them which meant we had no midfield option hitting the box if we actually got a cross in. O'Grady was getting the ball and held it up and few times but there was little or no options which meant he got out-numbered and lost it. Generally, we seemed to be relying on pin point through balls from 20-30 yards without actually working any space. For me it was all a bit mish-mash.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I actually loved it, think it is screaming out for WARD to be playing where Calde was though. Our striker wasn't isolated and had players around him, the defensive DMs covered well...give it time!

SuperBrighton

Apr 18, 2012
Hove
I actually loved it, think it is screaming out for WARD to be playing where Calde was though. Our striker wasn't isolated and had players around him, the defensive DMs covered well...give it time!

This. The formation needs two quality fullbacks with pace and stamina to really work.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This. The formation needs two quality fullbacks with pace and stamina to really work.

Well we may have them, because they didn't go down with cramp, unlike the Sheff Wed players from 60 mins onwards........

In terms of the formation, it is pointless having a big pitch and playing narrow in the last third.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

For me while he was not isolated, by having Lualua and Fenlon/Buckley tucked right in it made the middle very congested and we didn't get anyone from the middle over lapping O'Grady.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have felt over the past two seasons we had the solid foundations with a side good in possession but who lacked the craft in the final third and needed the vary the tempo of our play more. Today was a massive step backwards and I have never seen so many aimless punts forwards or stray passes to the opposition. I hope this is more to do with the personnel of the pitch than how we are going to be setting up for the season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hangover from last season

I think Stephen Ward would have made the difference. And Buckley from the start. Get down the wings to beat Wednesday who I thought were strong in central defence.

It was almost a repeat of the 1-1 draw last season. As expected really.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Formation seems to need some refining. Hypia is trying to fit players into the formation rather than the other way round. We have a wide pitch and played too narrow. We have two really good good wingers in Lua Lua and Buckley and played them too narrow today. We would be better playing 3-5-2 with Greer ( right) Dunk (Central) Hughes (left) at the back, Ince/Toko (defensive midfield), Bruno/Calde (right wing backs), Lua Lua/Chicksen (left wing backs)', combination from three of of Crofts/Stevens/Forster Caskey/March (central/attacking midfield) with two from O'Grady, Buckley/CMS/Fenelon up front. That's before we sign any more players to improve the first team. Must get rid of Agustein - he's having a laugh, and must be one of the worst players I have seen in an Albion shirt. A bad influence and a joker of a player so just pay him off to got rid.

Poor tactics like today will see Sami gone well before Christmas. Now 4 losses in a row including friendlies. Will Sami make it to 10 losses in a row as happened at Leverkusen?

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
I think Stephen Ward would have made the difference. And Buckley from the start. Get down the wings to beat Wednesday who I thought were strong in central defence.

It was almost a repeat of the 1-1 draw last season. As expected really.

Buckley from the start? You know he can't run anymore right?!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The formation and style was more coherent than I saw at the Southampton friendly. It shows that the squad have been working hard at the training centre adapting to Sami's preferred style. As the season progresses, the formation and style will produce better results. There were promising signs that the runs from full back were causing Wednesday some problems.

The acquisition of quality transfer targets will accelerate the transition to this new style,

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Agree we need a system that fits our current players

-------------or a massive turnover on players I fear if we we are to play the SH way

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

For this compact system to work you need very athletic wing backs and KLL does not fit that system he is pushed inside where he is stifled Buckley on the other hand I think could adapt. But hey it's only one game lets all calm down and wait until ten games and then review

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
All through pre-season we have seen that Sami is trying to implement a new style, but, what is it?

Seems to be a 4-3-3/4-5-1 but ends up this strange hybrid of different things. Got the full backs pushing right on which means that the wingers are tucking in a lot (in my opinion limiting LuaLua and especially Buckley) but the thing for me was when the full backs push Crofts and/or JFC were covering them which meant we had no midfield option hitting the box if we actually got a cross in. O'Grady was getting the ball and held it up and few times but there was little or no options which meant he got out-numbered and lost it. Generally, we seemed to be relying on pin point through balls from 20-30 yards without actually working any space. For me it was all a bit mish-mash.
Yep

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Waaaaaaaaah too narrow. As myself and others thought v saints. Didn't work then so why use it yesterday. Lualua etc are wingers and that's where we hurt teams. Ffs use wingers not the heavily populated central areas. So so obvious yesterday and Sami didn't change he things - not impressed sorry!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here