Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Brighton to expensive

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Just a thought

Is the high cost of living in Sussex partly to blame for us losing out on players to other teams especially teams from the north.

For arguments sake lets say Adam Clayton was offered £15000 a week by both boro & us but he could buy a four bedroom house in midlesborough for £150000 but the same house in Sussex will cost £400000.We have signed 2 players this pre season from fulham is that because living in Brighton is cheaper than living in west London.

Just a thought

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i love the idea that someone being paid £15k a week would care about the house prices of modest 4 bed.

people on that sort of money buy expensive properties where ever they are. they will buy something in the exclusive part of Middlesborough not on a Barretts estate.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just a thought

Is the high cost of living in Sussex partly to blame for us losing out on players to other teams especially teams from the north.

For arguments sake lets say Adam Clayton was offered £15000 a week by both boro & us but he could buy a four bedroom house in midlesborough for £150000 but the same house in Sussex will cost £400000.We have signed 2 players this pre season from fulham is that because living in Brighton is cheaper than living in west London.

Just a thought

Multitude of reasons. I think price of property is a minor concern when you are earning £500,000 plus a year!

More important would be family, kids (if they are settled at school) wages offered, realistic ambition of club etc etc Brighton as a city and surrounding area is one of the more attractive places to live in England, so property prices will only increase.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
i love the idea that someone being paid £15k a week would care about the house prices of modest 4 bed.

people on that sort of money buy expensive properties where ever they are. they will buy something in the exclusive part of Middlesborough not on a Barretts estate.

I have been to Middlesborough & I don't think there is an exclusive part.

My point is that 99% of footballers chop & change clubs like the wind.
If you were offered the same money by 2 different clubs but living a 1 club would be a lot cheaper than living at the other club would that make you choose 1 way or the other

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Most players have a portfolio of properties from wherever they have played if they are sensible, and have had some time in the PL/Championship. And lets be honest, property prices are only moving one way for the forseeable future. I don't see the price of houses as an obstacle,. wages more likely.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

They won't live in Middlesbrough at all, any more than Ashley Barnes would live in Burnley.

They'll all have nice barn conversions/ mock Tudor monstrosities/ architect-designed shag-mansions out around the more pleasant, countrified parts of North Yorkshire. Or on Sir John Hall's footballer enclave estate.

Middlesbrough is right up there amongst the shittest towns in Britain. Nobody would live there if they didn't have to.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And I bet the two we've signed from Fulham haven't even moved house. It's such a short term career, it's not worth it. They're probably live slap bang in the footballer-belt of Surrey & commuting down.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I have been to Middlesborough & I don't think there is an exclusive part.

My point is that 99% of footballers chop & change clubs like the wind.
If you were offered the same money by 2 different clubs but living a 1 club would be a lot cheaper than living at the other club would that make you choose 1 way or the other
Yarm very posh.

Stumpy Tim

When I moved back to Brighton I rented. You can rent a 4/5 bedroom swanky place in Rottingdean for £2,500 a month. The club would probably offer to pay that if they had to. It really isn't an issue

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Places are expensive because people want to live there.
Places are cheap because people don't want to live there.

For footballers, everywhere is cheap.

Therefore footballers don't want to live anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here