Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt number retirement

Jan 21, 2012
I haven't looked through everything to get the answer (lazy i know) but i was just wondering why Stockdale hasn't got the number 1 shirt. Have we retired it?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think we had 'reserved' the number 1 shirt in anticipation of signing a new first choice 'keeper. When we did however, he didn't want that number so it's left unused for now.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Always find it a bit strange when clubs 'retire' shirt numbers just because a previous incumbent was very successful when wearing it.

The only time I would agree with it is for reasons like Man City retiring Marc Vivien-Foe's shirt number.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He's got a tattoo saying lucky 13. I think he might like that number. I say give the number one shirt to Walton. Let him start to warm it up for the years ahead!!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Always find it a bit strange when clubs 'retire' shirt numbers just because a previous incumbent was very successful when wearing it.

The only time I would agree with it is for reasons like Man City retiring Marc Vivien-Foe's shirt number.
We should retire the number 9 shirt!

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
This is the case in icehockey. They retire number but you must be like hall of fame player. I thinking that if player like Messi or Xavi retire then you could freeze that number if they play 90% of they career in same team?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
This is the case in icehockey. They retire number but you must be like hall of fame player. I thinking that if player like Messi or Xavi retire then you could freeze that number if they play 90% of they career in same team?

Man Utd would barely have any numbers left to use based on this as surely Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and Neville's shirts would be retired as well as perhaps Schmeichel's and a few others!

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
So what ? Any of this pal should have some acknowledgement! Most of us can count more than 20 numbers or can we?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Football is a little harder, the shirts 1-11 generally mean so much to players and is a status that you are a first team player, obviously a little less so these days however they still matter and if clubs were to retire those numbers it would be a little weird, look at all the great number 7's united have had, no way could you retire that shirt.

I think it is a nice gesture of a club if a player dies whislt playing for them that, that shirt is laid to rest, I think West Ham did it quite recently.

However I cant think of any English clubs who have retired numbers for long/outstanding service.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
13 was his squad number at Fulham so this way he doesn't have to change his Twitter handle.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Man Utd would barely have any numbers left to use based on this

Quite. The New York Yankees have retired 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, and 49.
42 (Jackie Robinson's number) is retired for all teams.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Man Utd would barely have any numbers left to use based on this as surely Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and Neville's shirts would be retired as well as perhaps Schmeichel's and a few others!

Football, of course, began in 1992 when Sky invented squad numbers ...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite a prevalent practice in the states.
The number 42 is retired from the whole of baseball in honour of Jackie Robinson.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

............ and Bobby Moore's 6 shirt at West Ham, of course.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Another storied team, the Boston Celtics, have retired 00, 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 31, 32, 33, and 35.
Early star Jungle Jim Loskutoff asked that his number -- 18 -- not be retired. It was re-assigned and then retired, as it was Dave Cowens' number.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not retiring a number, on the other hand, gives players something to live up to and makes a statement. The Liverpool number 7 shirt, for example - Keegan, Dalglish, Beardsley, McManaman and, er, Clough. Suarez, of course ...

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
Do you think that there is number 7 in MU for pretty boy to wear if they give s*** for player who had had that number earlier? + Have he play 90% of games in MU shirt on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here