Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS says no to new breast cancer drug Kadcyla

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"A pioneering new breast cancer treatment will not be routinely available in England and Wales, the NHS drugs advisory body NICE is proposing.

The drug - Kadcyla - adds six months of life on average to women dying with an aggressive form of breast cancer."

Bloody outrage! Money comes before peoples welfare apprently

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is that the one they were saying on tv this morning costs £90k a patient - I would vent your anger at the drug companies not the NHS

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
The approximate figures I heard were:

It would help 1500 people a year giving an average 6 months extra life.
Each patient costs £90k.
They talked about a reduced price, but that is going to be in excess of a hundred million pounds each year, tax payers money.

Difficult decision.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
"A pioneering new breast cancer treatment will not be routinely available in England and Wales, the NHS drugs advisory body NICE is proposing.

The drug - Kadcyla - adds six months of life on average to women dying with an aggressive form of breast cancer."

The money has to come from somewhere, and wherever it comes from will affect peoples welfare too. How many hip operations would you cancel to pay for one course of this treatment? How much would you cut the budget of maternity wards by? You may not agree with the balance that has been struck, but this is what NICE is there to do, and that's why they employ experts in the relevant fields, to make those difficult decisions.

Alternatively we could take money from elsewhere to put into the NHS, or make everyone pay more tax, and maybe we should, but wherever it comes from is going to be a trade off with other peoples welfare. To say its an outrage misses the point.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cutting back on foreign aid would be a good start.

Stop vanity work being paid for on the NHS, along with ops that turn men into women and women into men.

What price, 6 months more of life?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The approximate figures I heard were:

It would help 1500 people a year giving an average 6 months extra life.
Each patient costs £90k.
They talked about a reduced price, but that is going to be in excess of a hundred million pounds each year, tax payers money.

Difficult decision.

Horrible decision to have to make.

Stumpy Tim

Cutting back on foreign aid would be a good start.

Stop vanity work being paid for on the NHS, along with ops that turn men into women and women into men.

What price, 6 months more of life?

Well sex-change operations often save the lives of those people who suffer from being born the wrong sex - the suicide rate of those people is very high. Do their lives count less?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There are so many cancers that would benefit from extra funding ,breast cancer gets the lions share and the full media coverage.Unfortunately decisions have to be made .Members of my family have been turned down cancer drugs because of cost .If this is to be believed and the money is not available then that is tragic ,but I would not want other far more underfunded cancers to suffer if the money did become available .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Lost my first wife to breast cancer in 1985----doctors said nothing to worry about ---just a lump.
The woman representing the drugs firm on Radio Four today came across as a complete twunt

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Free market medicine would solve these problems.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm on the fence on this one.

Yes, the NHS should try and provide as many life enhancing drugs as possible but equally there has to be a cold hard consideration of the benefits. Is six months extra that much benefit ? What quality of life would there be during those six months ?

Are Roche over charging ? Drugs companies spend millions and millions on research so it's difficult to tell. The answer might be NHS funded drugs research but that would require investment and heavy investment at that.

A very difficult one and I'm glad it's not me that had to make the call.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lost my first wife to breast cancer in 1985----doctors said nothing to worry about ---just a lump.

Very sorry to hear that. I would hope the same thing wouldn't happen in this country today, given all the publicity, self-checking etc. around.

I am just recovering from bowel cancer, very well looked after by RSCH. That wasn't even my first encounter with this nasty disease, I lost a kidney to cancer when I was 1 year old.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Very sorry to hear that. I would hope the same thing wouldn't happen in this country today, given all the publicity, self-checking etc. around.

I am just recovering from bowel cancer, very well looked after by RSCH. That wasn't even my first encounter with this nasty disease, I lost a kidney to cancer when I was 1 year old.

All the luck in the world to you Tricky, as you say things have hopefully moved on now.

I was in my late twenties when arriving in the ward one evening I was told 'it won't be long now'.
I sat holding my 24 year old wife until she died that evening - not one nurse comforted me.
I had a four year old son who I had to tell the next day.
Makes you grow up very quickly.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Well sex-change operations often save the lives of those people who suffer from being born the wrong sex - the suicide rate of those people is very high. Do their lives count less?

Not at all. But the cancer victims are going to die. Suicide of the sex change people is probability rather than actual (as in they will not all take their lives). Every life is valuable, personally I would raise taxes (money to be ring fenced for NHS treatment/drugs) as the NHS is something we all benefit from and we could all afford an extra couple of quid a week.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
All the luck in the world to you Tricky, as you say things have hopefully moved on now.

I was in my late twenties when arriving in the ward one evening I was told 'it won't be long now'.
I sat holding my 24 year old wife until she died that evening - not one nurse comforted me.
I had a four year old son who I had to tell the next day.
Makes you grow up very quickly.

I cannot begin to imagine what you went through.

I had major surgery 7 weeks ago and lost part of my small bowel. Recovery is pretty good and the op seems to have been successful. Fingers crossed. I'm left with a temporary stoma, which is not nice but a small price to pay for getting the nasty bits out.

It was 50 years between my first and second encounters with cancer, if the next is another 50 years, that'll be fine by me.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I cannot begin to imagine what you went through.

I had major surgery 7 weeks ago and lost part of my small bowel. Recovery is pretty good and the op seems to have been successful. Fingers crossed. I'm left with a temporary stoma, which is not nice but a small price to pay for getting the nasty bits out.

It was 50 years between my first and second encounters with cancer, if the next is another 50 years, that'll be fine by me.

Up the Albion mate :drink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm on the fence on this one.

Yes, the NHS should try and provide as many life enhancing drugs as possible but equally there has to be a cold hard consideration of the benefits. Is six months extra that much benefit ? What quality of life would there be during those six months ?

Are Roche over charging ? Drugs companies spend millions and millions on research so it's difficult to tell. The answer might be NHS funded drugs research but that would require investment and heavy investment at that.

A very difficult one and I'm glad it's not me that had to make the call.

Pharmacoeconomics; a difficult science.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here