Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our World War BBC3

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its no Band of Brothers but its about time there was a good war series on TV

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Thanks for that. I've found that episode one is repeated should anyone want to set up a recording.
BBC3 & BBC3HD: Fri 03.00 or Sat 00.30 or Sun 21.00 or Tues 01.30.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
thought it was done really well - 28 4th RF died at Mons I have the memorial plaque for one of them - going over there in 2 weeks for the 100th Anniversary

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Sidney Godley awarded the VC for staying behind to man the machine gun whilst the regiment withdrew, was a Sussex man. Very good viewing last night, will watch the rest of the seris.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I watched this and thought it was very good! well worth recording for those that haven't seen it.

My grandfather Tom Judd was in the battle of Mons, under the bridge where Dease and Godley held up the advancing Germans. If these two brave men hadn't done what they did many more Brits would have been killed, maybe including my grandfather. If that happened my mother would never have been born, I would not have been born, my children (including Commander) would not have been bore, my grandchildren would not have been born. I worked out that 17 people today may well owe their lives to Dease and Godley.

But more than that. if the Germans had got across the bridge earlier they would have inflicted huge casualties on the BEF, so much so that they could well have been decimated and destroyed as a fighting force. The Germans would have raced to Paris (the French had retreated before this), secured the channel ports and the British may well have had to settle for peace. The war could well have been over for Christmas and I may have been typing this in German. I think it can be argued that the Battle of Mons - or rather the retreat from Mons - was one of the most significant events of the 20th century. And yet most people know little about it.

Godley was indeed from Sussex, from East Grinstead where they are erecting a plaque to him as one of the two first V.C.'s of the great War (Dease is the other). After the war he became a commissionaire at a cinema in Brighton.

Mons is an amazing place. I went there a couple of times as a teenager with my grandfather on his reunion trips with his fellow Old Contemptibles. They were treated like heroes - which they were - with Civic Receptions and welcomes from the Burgomaster and the local people alike. And I've been back several times since.

The St Symphorien cemetery is arguably the most beautiful on the western front. Created by the Germans, it has graves from both sides; Dease is buried there as are the first and last British soldiers to be killed in the war, as well as the last Commonwealth soldier, killed two minutes before the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

A few miles north of the city towards Brussels is a plaque marking the spot where the first shot was fired in the war. Cross the road - it's 46 paces, i measured it - and you will find another plaque marking the spot where the last shot was fired. Two shots, separated by a couple of hundred yards, four years of Hell and millions of deaths. I defy anybody seeing how close together those two spots are not to come away with a lump in their throat and a tear in their eye.

Many years ago I swore I would be there for the hundredth anniversary to remember my grandfather and all the other brave soldiers - on both sides - especially Lt Maurice Dease and Private Sid Godley. And I will be there from the 21st to the 25th. Blazing Apostle - PM me if you fancy meeting up.

theboybilly

Thanks CS for that post. I totally agree about the importance of the Battle of Mons. The French withdrawal left the BEF horribly exposed on it's right flank. A brilliantly executed retreat to the Marne enabled the Allies to deliver a blow to the Germans that, by and large, finished the Schleiffen Plan as a sustainable route to victory (if it ever was) and forced von Kluck to turn in front of Paris instead of encircling the city.
A very good book on this is Riding the Retreat by the late Prof Richard Holmes who, with a group of friends and a couple of horses rode the route of the retreat giving an account of what happened from the view of the cavalry, and also an insight as to what you might still see today.

Thanks CS for that post. I totally agree about the importance of the Battle of Mons. The French withdrawal left the BEF horribly exposed on it's right flank. A brilliantly executed retreat to the Marne enabled the Allies to deliver a blow to the Germans that, by and large, finished the Schleiffen Plan as a sustainable route to victory (if it ever was) and forced von Kluck to turn in front of Paris instead of encircling the city.
A very good book on this is Riding the Retreat by the late Prof Richard Holmes who, with a group of friends and a couple of horses rode the route of the retreat giving an account of what happened from the view of the cavalry, and also an insight as to what you might still see today.

Thanks billy, I'll look out for that book. Good bloke, Richard Holmes, his War Walks series on TV was excellent, especially the one about Mons. I met him once in a bar in Ypres, what he didn't know about war wasn't worth knowing.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
just watched this on iplayer, cant say i enjoyed it but gripping stuff so pleased i saw the thread title which made me look on iplayer, having read this thread after, its even more interesting, the fighting starts with a headbutt from one englishman to another! i have driven past mons so often driving from germany to sussex or vice versa, i will think twice before driving past next week ...

just watched this on iplayer, cant say i enjoyed it but gripping stuff so pleased i saw the thread title which made me look on iplayer, having read this thread after, its even more interesting, the fighting starts with a headbutt from one englishman to another! i have driven past mons so often driving from germany to sussex or vice versa, i will think twice before driving past next week ...

Mons is definitely worth a visit, if you are there on Sunday 24th I'll buy you a beer.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I downloaded from I player to my sky box last night but could only get the version with a chap in front using sign language. Had to switch off. Still can't find a standard download.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sidney Godley awarded the VC for staying behind to man the machine gun whilst the regiment withdrew, was a Sussex man. Very good viewing last night, will watch the rest of the seris.

Agree this really was an outstanding programme,very well done.The addition of modern music(PJ Harvey) and the faux satellite imagery made it quite extraordinary.

Everyone should catch this on iplayer now whilst they can.

I spent a good while after reading up on the VC awards

Charles Jarvis
Maurice Dease
Sidney Godley

Didnt realise it was common practice at the time for VC medals to be simply posted to the families if the recipients had died in battle.
Maurice Dease VC was posted to his relatives,he had a friend however at the Palace and it was suggested the Monarch could present the VC to the next of kin,this was adopted and has been done ever since.

D

Deleted User X18H

Watched it twice already. One of the most moving, educational and evocative pieces of TV drama I have seen.

Made even more emotional at the realisation that Sid Godley was born in East Grinstead .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here