Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perfect example of why we have a chance of promotion.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Yes our squad may not be complete and it may not look very strong, but we do have a new man in charge and if he can get 3/4 more signings before the transfer window shuts then we could have a great chance.

Burnley 2013/2014

Selling Charlie Austin, they were left with Danny Ings and Sam Vokes, neither at the time were proven Championship goal scorers. Burnley didn't go splashing out money on transfers to keep the fans happy, in fact every signing they made last season was on a free with the exception of Barnes.

I don't think anyone at the beginning of August 2013 thought Burnley had a hope in hell finishing in the top 2.

They are a great example of why you do not have to spend big to get out of this league.

We need to have full confidence in Sami, the staff, the players and the club as a whole that they can make this happen. So if we get to January and we're in the bottom 4 that's when we need to panic, not when the season is 2 days away!

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We can't have full confidence in Sami and the board - there's far too many people here that can do a better job than them!

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I get your point but weren't Burnley still receiving parachute payments last year? If so the fairytale may have been overhyped. I'm afraid this manager, just like the last one doesn't inspire me at all. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I get your point but weren't Burnley still receiving parachute payments last year? If so the fairytale may have been overhyped. I'm afraid this manager, just like the last one doesn't inspire me at all. Here's hoping I'm proved wrong.

Their wage bill was less than ours.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
This is far too moderate and well thought out an OP to last long without getting trampled on by all the we aint signed no one panickers.

Burnley showed that it ain't all about who you buy in the transfer sweet shop, it's what you do with what you got. SH has made that clear a couple of times in interviews. Consider these words of wisdom from Van Gaal last week:

"When you use youth players of the club, they know the culture of the club, they want to defend that culture, wear that culture and transfer that culture,” Van Gaal explained. “When you buy a player from outside, you have to wait and see and not every player will fulfil your expectation. It is much more difficult also for the player."

Yes, we need to increase the squad but let's do it in a structured manner; if we can't get the quality at the right price then give the youngsters a go. It may be the only way to combat the parachutists and the FFP chancers.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The average age of that Burnley team was about 24. Nearly all there defenders were at a good age and not aging. Trippier would often bomb forward from right back. Shackell was another excellent bit of business by them.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We have NO chance of promotion this season. Delusional to pretend otherwise.

And its idiotic to rule ANYTHING out playing in the Championship as simply anything can happen. Burnley and Palace were predicted to struggle in the seasons when they went up - proof where anything can happen. We made the play-offs (just) playing incredibly boring football last season after all.

A few more improvements, specificly for depth are needed though.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Fair point but by how much?, off the top of my head at least 2 of our top earners (Kemy and CMS) hardly kicked a ball! Take those 2 out and I bet the difference wasn't huge.

Our wage bill was 21 million whereas theirs was 15 million.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Our wage bill was 21 million whereas theirs was 15 million.

Ok, well maybe Kemy and CMS would amount to about 1.5M, throw in Orlandi and Lopez aswell and we're not a million miles away. Are you sure the quoted 21M is just players as some of our very large board of directors were rumoured to be on 500k a year weren't they?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ok, well maybe Kemy and CMS would amount to about 1.5M, throw in Orlandi and Lopez aswell and we're not a million miles away. Are you sure the quoted 21M is just players as some of our very large board of directors were rumoured to be on 500k a year weren't they?

I didn't say the 21 million was just players. I said the wage bill.

Edit. I found El Presidente's thread from yesterday showing the figures for all the Championship teams.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ill-and-losses-for-Championship-clubs-2012-13

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Historically (post 1950s) we seldom spend more than four seasons in any one division. Something is gonna happen the season...

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I didn't say the 21 million was just players. I said the wage bill.

Fair enough well in that case as the Amex would presumably cost significantly more to run than Turf Moor I'm guessing that their player wage bill would be at least in line with ours yes?. The point I'm trying to make is that many posters cite Burnley as an example of a well run club that gained promotion paying relatively low wages when in fact the opposite is true.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fair enough well in that case as the Amex would presumably cost significantly more to run than Turf Moor I'm guessing that their player wage bill would be at least in line with ours yes?. The point I'm trying to make is that many posters cite Burnley as an example of a well run club that gained promotion paying relatively low wages when in fact the opposite is true.

You are arguing that Burnley are a poorly run club paying high wages?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here