Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very O/T Cats and fleas

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know we have some knowlegable people on the cat subject on here, Glasfrn et al., so .... I have 2 indoor cats, and while it wouldn't be impossible for them to get fleas, it's not something I've worried about.

Anyway, whole I was in hospital for my cancer surgery recently, my sister and her family moved into my house (long story) and she brought with her a cat.

Long story short, they've now moved out again, but I now hzve fleas all over my two darlings snd they're scratching endlessly. I hzve applied some of that 'one dot' stuff, which will hopefully do the trick.

I have noticed today thst they both have had quite a few fleas around the face / mouth / eye area - many of which I've caught. My mum just dropped by and as were discussing this she mentioned that she had heard that when you use that stuff the little buggers move away from that area, often towards the face before ultimately dying. Just wondering if this is true, and a sign that these meds are working ???

Well, I said it was off topic.

Frontline is the only thing that has ever worked on mine.

I have read somewhere that fleas go to the mouth and eyes for liquid, probably a load of balls though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Frontline is the only thing that has ever worked on mine.

I have read somewhere that fleas go to the mouth and eyes for liquid, probably a load of balls though.

I gather this stuff by Bob Martin is basically the same stuff. Was recommended by the guy at Pets At Home. We'll see.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Really struggling with fleas this year. Got two cats who have been regularly frontlined for years but now been spraying the whole house with flea spray in addition and still cannot finish the little bstads off

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
My Vet told me to avoid Frontline as nearly all common animal fleas have become immune to it.

I gather this stuff by Bob Martin is basically the same stuff. Was recommended by the guy at Pets At Home. We'll see.

To be honest, I used almost everything made by Bob martin in an attempt to wage war against fleas, nothing worked.

As soon as we used Frontline I've never seen another one, that was about 15 years ago now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
To be honest, I used almost everything made by Bob martin in an attempt to wage war against fleas, nothing worked.

As soon as we used Frontline I've never seen another one, that was about 15 years ago now.

Well, uncle Bob will only get one chance. If this doesn't work .... he's outa here.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
We have two indoor cats and last year had a flea outbreak, for us Frontline only made a slight dent before it got worse again.

The vet gave us a spray (the name of which I'll find out) as a nuclear alternative and, credit where it's due, it obliterated the stubborn little sods.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Never understood this obsession with keeping animals as ornaments, waste of time if you ask me.

Don't really know what you mean by that, if it's because they're indoor cats, well, they came from a cat rescue place and had a very unfortunate beginning to life and now they are very well looked after and muchly loved. Rather better than their previous life methinks.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Don't really know what you mean by that, if it's because they're indoor cats, well, they came from a cat rescue place and had a very unfortunate beginning to life and now they are very well looked after and muchly loved. Rather better than their previous life methinks.

I meant what I said, simple really and just my opinion about the desire to keep animals as pets.
We actually create these problems that we have to then solve, waste of time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I meant what I said, simple really and just my opinion about the desire to keep animals as pets.

Probably not the thread for you then. Why on earth did you open it?

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I thought last year I would go for he cheap Bob Martin option, my poor moggy had a reaction to it and it cost me then to get a vet to sort it. Now use Frontline with no after effects except for a jet propelled cat as soon as she feels the liquid on her!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I thought last year I would go for he cheap Bob Martin option, my poor moggy had a reaction to it and it cost me then to get a vet to sort it. Now use Frontline with no after effects except for a jet propelled cat as soon as she feels the liquid on her!!!

The Bob solution certainly wasn't cheap, but we'll see if it works. If not try something else, probably Frontline.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Interesting view but could be used for everything surely? My car's being a right pain at present and it certainly feels like I've brought that grief onto myself. Do I really need it? Is it vital? Probably not. Neither are my dogs and they can cause grief and expense too but I prefer life with dogs rather than without. Got a large family too, just like dogs being in the mix. Could ask the question whether I really needed to have four kids I guess but if we only have what we need life would be pretty dull.

I can't believe that any one who has pets has them as ornaments anyway, other than strange Italian women perhaps.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all the potions above will do the job
but have you thought about using a HOUSE spray as well
we use Frontline twice a year
and house spray the same but do everything on a light airy day with doors and windows open if possible furniture carpets especially the corners and in the cracks under the skirtings, curtains the lot
one can does ours twice (but it is a small bungalow)
this not only kills the little bar stewards but kills the eggs too.
we have three and they rarely meet other cats (but we do have foxes coming into the garden) so it has to be done
we have not seen a flea for years
also regular combing with a mikki rake especially on long haired cats takes out all the dead hair gives them nothing to nest in little bar stewards

good luck mate
once they are gone they are gone

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Really struggling with fleas this year. Got two cats who have been regularly frontlined for years but now been spraying the whole house with flea spray in addition and still cannot finish the little bstads off
Off the shelf stuff is watered down .Acclaim from a vet does the Trick ,ok it's £28 a pop but does a whole house.Spent loads on off the shelf products last year that failed ,one use of Acclaim sorted the problem.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
off the shelf stuff is watered down .acclaim from a vet does the trick ,ok it's £28 a pop but does a whole house.spent loads on off the shelf products last year that failed ,one use of acclaim sorted the problem.

this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here