Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Us pga

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Apologies if missed but the final major (and my 2nd favourite on the roster) of the season starting today. Great news to see Tiger fit to play, this occassions just aren't the same with him here, and with him heroically battling against a debilitating back injury it seems he is unlikely to feature at the top but lets all hope for a respectable showing from such a legend.

Personally I think Rory is going to take some stopping this week but if anyone can stop him I'm going for Stewart Cink and DA Points to run him close.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Hideki Matsuyama @ 45/1

Patrick Reed @ 75/1

Rickie Fowler @ 22/1

Charl Schwartzel @ 33/1

Matt Kuchar @ 33/1

Longshots

Angel Cabrera @ 100/1

Thomas Bjorn @ 125/1

Robert Karlsson @ 150/1

First Round Leader

Patrick Reed @ 66/1

Rafael Cabrera-Bello @ 175/1

First 5 places, 1/4 odds a place finish.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I disagree that tournaments aren't the same with him in it - it means we aren't subjected to days and days of wall to wall tiger coverage as he skanks his way round in two over while half a dozen others play world class golf, 15 shots ahead of him in an entertaining shoot out. He's an unwelcome distraction and already becoming irrelevant, only living off past glories. His time has gone, the younger generation are 10x more entertaining. A legend, true - but IMO it's time to pack it in.

Looking beyond the obvious of Rory, I'm lumping on Day & Fowler who always do well and surely have to convert top 5s eventually. Sergio and Justin Rose are in the form of their careers and worth an EW shout, and I like Reed and Kuchar who are at a decent price too. I think it's going to be tight this year, lots of guys coming in in good form.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hideki Matsuyama @ 45/1

Patrick Reed @ 75/1

Rickie Fowler @ 22/1

Charl Schwartzel @ 33/1

Matt Kuchar @ 33/1

Longshots

Angel Cabrera @ 100/1

Thomas Bjorn @ 125/1

Robert Karlsson @ 150/1

First Round Leader

Patrick Reed @ 66/1

Rafael Cabrera-Bello @ 175/1

First 5 places, 1/4 odds a place finish.

I've backed Rory, Sergio, Big Phil and Matsuyama, all small stakes.

Where did you bet? 5 places each way is poor. Bet Victor pay to sixth. Some others pay to seventh.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
5/1 on Rory could look a silly price come Sunday evening, the way he is playing at the moment. If the driver stays straight, there is no one can can live with him the way he is playing.....That said I cannot back at those odds in a major against 130+ other players....So I've backed Jordan Speith @40/1, this kid is going to be the Yanks next big golfing superstar, had a good Masters and US Open, didn't fare so well at the Open, but that sort of golf would be very alien to him at this stage of his golfing life.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personally I think Rory is going to take some stopping this week but if anyone can stop him I'm going for Stewart Cink and DA Points to run him close.

DA Points? I thought that was what you got when you shopped using your Debenham's account card.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Golf names are BRILLIANT.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I disagree that tournaments aren't the same with him in it - it means we aren't subjected to days and days of wall to wall tiger coverage as he skanks his way round in two over while half a dozen others play world class golf, 15 shots ahead of him in an entertaining shoot out. He's an unwelcome distraction and already becoming irrelevant, only living off past glories. His time has gone, the younger generation are 10x more entertaining. A legend, true - but IMO it's time to pack it in.

Totally agree. Yesterday, I turned on Sky Sports News and all they showed was Tiger chucking his clubs and swearing shooting a terrible 74. Then I turn on the coverage (Sky of course) and the first question asked by that idiot David Livingstone is "so what is wrong with Tiger then Butch?". Who cares? I certainly don't. And why do we have a feature match of him, Mickleson and Harrington all chopping it round? Please show us players that are in form, not someone who is turning up for these events just so that his sponsors pay up another fat wedge of money before the next scandal hits. I will also say that the Open coverage was just as bad, presumably because the BBC were under pressure from their American cousins to show everything Tiger related. I would rather they showed more of Tom Watson if they have to show a "has-been" - most amateurs would learn a lot more by watching him than Tiger.

Anyway, got that off my chest. Rory is the man to beat - he is awesome at the moment. 66 with a double on 10. He is in a different league when on form and I doubt even a fully fit, on top of his game Tiger could match him.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I thought this thread was gonna be a sweepstake in which [MENTION=3385]crodonilson[/MENTION] got Rory McIlroy.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
5/1 on Rory could look a silly price come Sunday evening, the way he is playing at the moment. If the driver stays straight, there is no one can can live with him the way he is playing.....That said I cannot back at those odds in a major against 130+ other players....So I've backed Jordan Speith @40/1, this kid is going to be the Yanks next big golfing superstar, had a good Masters and US Open, didn't fare so well at the Open, but that sort of golf would be very alien to him at this stage of his golfing life.

I echo all of these points

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Would love to see Westwood get that elusive major. I don't expect him to still be the near the top of the pile on Sunday but one can hope.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like another procession for Rory:smile: He's just playing better golf than the rest. Westwood has done well but gone backwards then the pressure is on, as he always does. Rickieeee Fowler is playing well again and you could do worse than back him for next years Masters at 50/1 and Open Championship at 33/1:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here