Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russia bans agricultural imports from west in tit-for-tat sanctions move

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Vladimir Putin has banned the import of agricultural goods from countries that have imposed sanctions on Russia in a tit-for-tat move that deepens the economic standoff between the Kremlin and the west.

Russian government officials have been told to draw up a list of western agricultural products and raw materials that will be banned or restricted for up to one year, according to the decree published on the Kremlin website.

In tacit recognition that Russian consumers will bear the cost of the import ban, the decree also instructs officials to come up with measures to stabilise commodity markets and prevent food price rises.

The import ban follows a threat of retaliation from Russia's prime minister, Dmitry Medvedev, in response to the grounding of the budget airline subsidiary of Aeroflot as a result of EU sanctions. Russian officials are reported to be considering banning European airlines from flying to Asia over Siberia.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
agricultural imports banned? so no watermelons from Spain? i'll be more impressed when he bans imports of cars, machinery, chemicals, etc, etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm gutted, I turned over half my plot to Beetroot with the idea of exporting them to Russia. I'm ruined !

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Putin Huilo will be booted out within 2 years, when the cost of bananas doubles.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
It is like some sort of reverse siege. Well done Putin.

This does not seem like a very good idea to me, driving up costs of food does not normally go well with people.

If anyone's planning to fly to Asia, think about Philippine Airlines - they've never paid the money demanded by the Russians to fly over their air space so go a slightly longer, more southerly route - it adds about an hour to the journey. Admittedly over places like Pakistan, but I'd rather take my chances with the odd misdirected US drone than the Ukrainian civil war right now

D

Deleted member 22389

Putin is no dummy, he's just moving his business elsewhere.

Also Vladimir Putin signs historic $20bn oil deal with Iran to bypass Western sanctions

As usual, Europe is paying the price for having the USA as allies.

I don't know who to beleive anymore. Putin is made out to be this awful character, but before tensions got worse the US had already done a deal with Ukraine to supply them oil.
So what is this really about, money and oil or the welfare of people in the Ukraine.

And yes the EU got involved with the Ukraine, but there not going to become members of the EU anytime soon are they, so what exactly are the people of the Ukraine getting out of closer ties with the EU, seems to me nothing.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine was better off before this whole problem started.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Why does the article say that Russian consumers will bear the cost? I mean they will suffer a cost, for sure. But there are going to be some eastern European countries which are going to suffer massively from the reduction in exports, Poland for example.

We place sanctions on other countries frequently, but it is very irresponsible. Sanctions are an act of war.

We should have trade with all nations. When you trade with someone you are far less likely to fight them.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Breaking news: Medvedev announces immediate import ban on meat, fish and dairy items from EU, US and others

Putin is no dummy, he's just moving his business elsewhere.

Also Vladimir Putin signs historic $20bn oil deal with Iran to bypass Western sanctions

As usual, Europe is paying the price for having the USA as allies.

To be honest, I think it's all small beer stuff. There is no huge concerted western sanctions against Russia, western financials interests would not stand for it, would lose too much money.

Russians markets will bounce back before too long, just as they did in the early summer months after the last round of sanctions

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Does that mean we will have a surplus of food and prices will come down?

:jester:

I don't know who to beleive anymore. Putin is made out to be this awful character, but before tensions got worse the US had already done a deal with Ukraine to supply them oil.
So what is this really about, money and oil or the welfare of people in the Ukraine.

And yes the EU got involved with the Ukraine, but there not going to become members of the EU anytime soon are they, so what exactly are the people of the Ukraine getting out of closer ties with the EU, seems to me nothing.

Makes me wonder if Ukraine was better off before this whole problem started.

Putin is an awful character - he committed war crimes in Chechnya but nobody cared because he was just killing Muslims. He is busy dismantling what little press freedoms the Russians managed to gain over the last 20 years.

But in the case of Ukraine, his reactions have been mostly defensive - it was the west who thought it was a good idea to overthrow an elected government there and egged on Ukrainian nationalists to do so. Was obvious there would be civil war and ethnic cleansing but the west couldn't stop themselves trying to give Putin a bloody nose. The cost has been a huge number of people killed on both sides and about 700,000 refugees surging towards Russia, according to new UNHCR figures this week. These people aren't flocking there because they love Putin but to get away from some awful shit we bear a lot of diplomatic responsibility for encouraging.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is no huge concerted western sanctions against Russia, western financials interests would not stand for it, would lose too much money.

you will find it is industrial interests, in particular the German's, that wont stand for it.

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
We have (Finland) 5% share of all Russian-EU export! That is a big number for us. It is much bigger than almost same size country inside EU ( like Denmark, Slovakia ) But we have to live whit it! We are going to lose some job because of sanction. I live near Russian border and I visit russia every week one´s or twice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here