Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton’s trendy North Laines

D

Deleted User X18H

There is a super shop on Elm Grove called Hilly Laine . I love it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure if you have a point but yes I know about that thread, having opened it several times today. I merely wanted to toss The Guardian to the lions of NSC for writing a sentence that included these two things:

- “When you move somewhere it is important you get to know the area,”
- visited the Lord Nelson Inn, a pub located in Brighton’s trendy North Laines area

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For those of us (okay, me) who have never lived in Brighton, would anyone like to shed any light? :shrug:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure if you have a point but yes I know about that thread, having opened it several times today. I merely wanted to toss The Guardian to the lions of NSC for writing a sentence that included these two things:

- visited the Lord Nelson Inn, a pub located in Brighton’s trendy North Laines area

What doesn't help is that there is a sign outside - and attached to - the Nelson extolling the values of 'Brighton's North Laines...'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For those of us (okay, me) who have never lived in Brighton, would anyone like to shed any light? :shrug:

There are two areas in Brighton that non-locals ( or fake London imported locals ) get muddled up because they think the word Lane and Laine has the same meaning ( they don't ). There is area known as The Lanes - a nice, very old shopping area unsurprisingly made up of narrow lanes ( some incorrectly call it the South Lanes ). Then there is the North Laine area ( note the singular use of the word ). North Laine is filled with trendy eateries and digital media companies.

Mixing up the two is akin to some morons calling the Palace Pier, The Brighton Pier.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I also put the link to the thread with the Daily Mail interview. All we need now is the Express for the hat trick.

For anybody that doesn't know, Laine means field.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mixing up the two is akin to some morons calling the Palace Pier, The Brighton Pier.

only far, far worse.

i'd also object to defining the Laine as trendy. its studenty grunge and alternative for the most part. parts near the bottom/theatre have been gentrified, but fortunatly for the most part its the same as it was as long as i can remember.

(oh, and the Lanes are twittens :thumbsup: :lolol: )

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are two areas in Brighton that non-locals ( or fake London imported locals ) get muddled up because they think the word Lane and Laine has the same meaning ( they don't ). There is area known as The Lanes - a nice, very old shopping area unsurprisingly made up of narrow lanes ( some incorrectly call it the South Lanes ). Then there is the North Laine area ( note the singular use of the word ). North Laine is filled with trendy eateries and digital media companies.

... and shops selling mod gear, kitchen goods, clothes, shoes, furniture, flowers, books, comics, fabrics, kites, skateboards, juggling stuff, children's toys and games, erotic lingerie, smokers' accessories, bathrooms etc. Places to get your haircut, your body pierced, your teeth fixed, your eyes tested...

I wouldn't call any of it 'trendy'.

Can't think of too many digital media companies.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Pity most of those "trendy types" won't be the ones supporting the club.

Really ? My new job is with a company based in North Laine and one of the directors is a die hard fan and has pledged to get a company box when we make it to the Prem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here