Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soundbars

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Does anyone have advice as to a suitable soundbar for a 55 inch tv. Have had a look in the shops and with so many to choose from I am a little lost. Do I go for a wireless sub woofer or built in. I currently have surround sound but to be honest I am sick of all the wires. Any advice would be greatly welcome.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I recently got the Sony HT-ST3 to go with my 55" Sony and it sounds (and looks) fab. The big plus for us that the sounbar itself is only 4cm high, all the processing is done in the sub box.

Not wireless but that didn't matter for the situation its in as the subwoofer fits nicely into an AV slot in our wall unit.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I recently got the Sony HT-ST3 to go with my 55" Sony and it sounds (and looks) fab. The big plus for us that the sounbar itself is only 4cm high, all the processing is done in the sub box.

Not wireless but that didn't matter for the situation its in as the subwoofer fits nicely into an AV slot in our wall unit.

Think this is what I've got. Like you say, not wireless but then it's only one wire and not 4/5 (used to hate all that, especially as I moved house 3 times whilst having surround and wiring it up each time was a pain in the arse).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bought myself a Panasonic soundbar with (wired) sub-woofer about 6 months ago. I've been very impressed with it, the sound quality is excellent and it connects to an HDMI ARC socket on my TV so I can control it using the TV remote (which is also Panasonic so they work together through Viera) and no other connections are required to the TV.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'll probably get a slating for this but I just sent a Yamaha 3300 back. It gets high ratings and at £750 (some places sell for £999) it isn't cheap. I thought it was pants!

Although it's an exaggeration to get the best you need a square room with the TV and bar dead centre, no furniture and nothing on walls. The second you divert from that then the sound quality will deteriorate progressively. They sound good in the sound room at the dealer but for me, it just doesn't translate

Wired systems are off different quality but I would go and get a wired Jamo or Q Accoustics system, have it plumbed in and it will be far superior and no bother for you.

Only my experience, sure plenty will challenge

Edit ... meant to say if you go ahead, then buy it online, then at least if you have similar experience you get 14 days to return. Not sure you can return if bought in store

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I just bought a cheap samsung one from Tesco using the double up club card points so cost me £1 instead of £144 to go with my new samsung tv. Only for a smallish lounge so ideal and don't want to upset the neighbours. Spent hours looking round but chose this one as it connects by blue tooth to the tv automatically and it's not too big. It also connects to blue tooth gadgets to pay music. Comes with a wired sub but that's not an issue as is on the floor next to tv anyway. It's the HW-H355.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'll probably get a slating for this but I just sent a Yamaha 3300 back. It gets high ratings and at £750 (some places sell for £999) it isn't cheap. I thought it was pants!

Although it's an exaggeration to get the best you need a square room with the TV and bar dead centre, no furniture and nothing on walls. The second you divert from that then the sound quality will deteriorate progressively. They sound good in the sound room at the dealer but for me, it just doesn't translate

Unfortunately this is 100% accurate. I bought a Yamaha GSP 800 a few years back costing £500 with a view to cinematic surround sound without loads of cabling and speakers around the room. Even with careful calibration you never get a surround sound effect but you will enhance the sound of most modern ultra thin TVs where the trade off for slimness is the poor sound quality

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Does anyone have advice as to a suitable soundbar for a 55 inch tv. Have had a look in the shops and with so many to choose from I am a little lost. Do I go for a wireless sub woofer or built in. I currently have surround sound but to be honest I am sick of all the wires. Any advice would be greatly welcome.
Sonos is the best mate! check it out

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I can't believe how quickly surround sound has become old school. I've no idea if it is hip to be retro either. All I know is, having gone to the trouble of cabling up the speakers, I am not going back in a hurry.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I can't believe how quickly surround sound has become old school. I've no idea if it is hip to be retro either. All I know is, having gone to the trouble of cabling up the speakers, I am not going back in a hurry.

Surround = awesome cinema sound experience.
Soundbar = loud noise from near the TV.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If you're going down the budget route, I got one of these from Tesco's (I think it was actually reduced to £29.99 when I got it) and it's pretty good to be honest. Kids can connect and play their iPods via blue tooth, computer can connect via line in, the telly via audio in. Definitely a big improvement on the TV speakers, but you have to be realistic with the expectations on a piece of kit for this price. Sound is deep and you do get a surround type effect.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Was looking into this myself, at present I have an amp and two floor speakers biwired. Gives a good sound but had hankling for a Soundbar as I don't want wires and speakers all round the room. Actually to be more correct the wife told me I don't want wires and speakers around the room. I went along to Richer Sounds, London Road and had a chat with them. They have a room at the back where you can listen to different set ups. I was really disappointed with the soundbars, which to be fair the guy in the shop said I would be, he reckoned a good stereo system would beat a Soundbar and after listening I had to agree so I'm sticking to my current setup. In the future I will buy a decent AV receiver. Good guys at Richer Sounds with sensible advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here