Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Fourth Test: England v India, Old Trafford, August 7th-11th

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Manchester is just not cricket, old boy.

Ten test venues have been used in England and I have just completed the set albeit with watching The Albion at one.
Lords, the Oval, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Headingley, Old Trafford, Sophia Gardens, the Riverside, Bramall Lane The last one I am not sure what to name. I cannot say AGEAS, do not know if I can still use the Rose Bowl and say Southampton.

See you at Falmer on Saturday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Manchester is just not cricket, old boy.

Ten test venues have been used in England and I have just completed the set albeit with watching The Albion at one.
Lords, the Oval, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Headingley, Old Trafford, Sophia Gardens, the Riverside, Bramall Lane The last one I am not sure what to name. I cannot say AGEAS, do not know if I can still use the Rose Bowl and say Southampton.

See you at Falmer on Saturday.

Where in England, is Sophia Gardens?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
But officially is the SWALEC stadium. Pedantry over carry on with your day :)

Officially I would have four of them wrong but as sponsors come and go I do not like to name venues after them or attach them to the venue's name. With a new venue there is no historical name to use or it was used for such a short time that it has not become familiar. Hence the Amex for me and Sophia Gardens. One new and one already there.

Hope that explains my hypocrisy. I am not being pedantic but stubborn.

:amex:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Officially I would have four of them wrong but as sponsors come and go I do not like to name venues after them or attach them to the venue's name. With a new venue there is no historical name to use or it was used for such a short time that it has not become familiar. Hence the Amex for me and Sophia Gardens. One new and one already there.

Hope that explains my hypocrisy. I am not being pedantic but stubborn.

:amex:

Southampton, is universally known round these parts, as The Rose Bowl. As far as I'm corncerned, that is the name of the venue, and the temporary sponsor name Ageas is to be rightly ignored. (See Kia Oval, Wonga Trent Bridge, for further details)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This being Jimmy's "home" test, I think the reception Jadeja gets is going to interesting :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wouldn't change the team today unless someone is injured.

I know the temptation is to drop Jordan for Finn, but if Finn has a shocker, what do we do then - keep chopping and changing?

We won a test match comfortably, and despite not performing, if you're going to pick Jordan, and for that matter Woakes, and you win handsomely, stick with them, selectors obviously feel they have the right credentials, so give them a bit of time.

I'd be worried for Finn. His confidence maybe built up from some time in the county game, but that could be very fragile in the test arena.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't change the team today unless someone is injured.

I know the temptation is to drop Jordan for Finn, but if Finn has a shocker, what do we do then - keep chopping and changing?

We won a test match comfortably, and despite not performing, if you're going to pick Jordan, and for that matter Woakes, and you win handsomely, stick with them, selectors obviously feel they have the right credentials, so give them a bit of time.

I'd be worried for Finn. His confidence maybe built up from some time in the county game, but that could be very fragile in the test arena.

I would pick Finn purely as he offers something different, in that he is a fast bowler (can bowl in the 90's).

The England line up is still slightly unbalanced and long term Stokes for Woakes, but we are moving towards our strongest line up.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I would pick Finn purely as he offers something different, in that he is a fast bowler (can bowl in the 90's).

The England line up is still slightly unbalanced and long term Stokes for Woakes, but we are moving towards our strongest line up.

I hope Finn gets a game. I know he was struggling last year, but IF he's ready to return then he has to play. It might be a gamble but one worth taking as when in form he's a colossal talent. When he was in form that Broad, Anderson, Finn combo could be devastating. It obviously does hinge hugely on whether he is ready, but I read an interesting article the other day about how he slipped out of synch with his action and how his recovery has been about going back and starting from scratch. His coaches feel confident that he's ready to return.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I hope Finn gets a game. I know he was struggling last year, but IF he's ready to return then he has to play. It might be a gamble but one worth taking as when in form he's a colossal talent. When he was in form that Broad, Anderson, Finn combo could be devastating. It obviously does hinge hugely on whether he is ready, but I read an interesting article the other day about how he slipped out of synch with his action and how his recovery has been about going back and starting from scratch. His coaches feel confident that he's ready to return.

Saker messed around with his action due to his leg hitting the stump and it ruined for a bit. He has gone back to his county and sorted it out. He will leak a few runs, but he is fast and that is something different.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The article I read said exactly that about Saker, but that graciously Middlesex were saying everybody and nobody was to blame. Essentially he got himself in a pickle because England shortened his run up which resulted in the knee/stump issue, and when trying to resolve that he just got really out of synch with his normal action. It didn't say but I suspect he might have gone back to a longer run up, because it says he doesn't hit the stumps anymore and had gone back to basics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here