Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Camping in the New Forest - recommendations please!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Planning to go at the end of the month or at the start of September

Anyone been somewhere 'decent' (i.e. okay showers/toilets/no groups of pissed up lads/etc) recently in the New Forest that you would recommend. Me, partner, possibly my little boy also

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Ashurst campsite but you might be to late to book. A couple of pubs and take aways within walking distance if you get fed up BBQing.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I went to Hollands Wood two weeks ago and had a great time. Fairly flat location, loads of trees, good toilet block with free showers. Between Lyndhurst and Brockenhurst.

The only issue is the pesky ponies, don't feed them otherwise they'll come back when you are not around and try to get into the tent.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Also been to Hollands Woods and loved it.
Everything you'd want in a NF campsite.
Quiet, rural, pony's, clean toilets/showers.
Good village pubs, good cycle routes.
Would highly recommend.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I think Sandy Balls has had good feedback when similar questions have been asked on here: http://www.sandyballs.co.uk/accommodation/browse/touring-camping

Stayed there camping 5 , years ago ( paying in advance ) has had read good reviews .

On arrival was told that the main site was full and was directed to an overspill area 1/3 mile away with very basic facilities .

Was not happy but impossible to find anywhere else in the New Forest August bank holiday week so decided to make the best of it .

All was well and peaceful for 4 days . On the Friday afternoon though , a mob of Southampton chav types descended on the overspill site and took over a significant section of the field .
That night reinforcements arrived and a party started ignoring the fact that most of the other campers were family's with kids .
After enough alcohol was consumed the party goers started a fight amongst themselves causing the emergency services to attend .
We left the next day and missed the bank holiday weekend .

The main site did look pretty decent though .

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Sure we have done this before - so search for the other thread. Answer is Ashurst. Nice site. Fullers pub outside the door, excellent Indian Restaurant just over the bridge. Sorted.

Armchair Loyalist

Jul 26, 2004

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here