Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Luke Shaw 30m, Toni Kroos 24m

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why is a totally unproven player 6m more expensive than a 24 year old world cup winner with a cabinet full of medals?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nothing's going to beat Andy Carroll going for £35m - makes Shaw look like an absolute steal

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing's going to beat Andy Carroll going for £35m - makes Shaw look like an absolute steal

Good call. 35m for Carroll with his total lack of ability, convictions and shite pony tail or 24m for the erudite Kroos with his sack full of medals. Which would you prefer?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Leo Ulloa 8 million / Ricky Lambert 4 million. Who's proven at the higher level?

3 Bed House in non-estate part of South Porslade 350k / bigger version in Mile Oak 270k

Two pint glass of Harvey's at a Rod Stewart gig £9 / Decent bottle of Malbec £7.50

It's called the market, or rather it's called what stupid people are prepared to pay when desperate. Obviously Kroos is by FAR the better player / better buy.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Also odd that Madrid are looking to dump DiMaria for Kroos.

Di Maria is a much better player

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This. I cannot think of any other reason at the moment.

ON a similar theme, Arsenal have paid £16m for an untested 18 year old full back, so they can play him at CB, in place of their experienced International CB, who they might sell for £10m.

The world's gone mad.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
???? You're going to have to explain this one to me.

Well the English matters as it affects how many players the big clubs can name in their squads and as he's young he doesn't need to be named in the squad and has more potential so has resale value and more value long-term.

Kroos was also in the last year of his contract which affected his price.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If he's English there's less chance of him leaving to go abroad, less chance of him not bedding into the country or style of football, and also he's part of the English quota. I'm not saying he's worth £24m but I wasn't surprised.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's not as simple as that though is it.

Kroos will be on higher wages than Shaw, probably quite significantly, so the total package for Kroos will be more when you factor in his wages over his contract. Also Kroos was out of contract next summer and not signing a new one so they had to cash in, had he been in a similar situation to Shaw having signed a long term contract you'd probably be looking at more like double his transfer price.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If Shaw hits the heights that everyone seems to think he will, and stays at United for years, then it's a good deal in the long term

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The real question is why did Bayern find themselves in a position where selling Kroos for £20m made good sense

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
If Shaw hits the heights that everyone seems to think he will, and stays at United for years, then it's a good deal in the long term

That's where I do disagree. For me there is no Left back in the world worth 30 million right now, and it is even more unlikely Shaw will actually develop to a higher calibre then say Marcelo, Filpe Luis and other class left back.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It shawly comes down to the length of contract left with the selling club and how willing they're to sell.

These 2 figures aren't a comparison of ability, but with Kroos running his contract down into its final year, Bayern had to cash in on a player wanting to move.

Shaw was only 12 months into a 5 year contract with Southampton, so they weren't actually under pressure to sell their prize asset.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here