Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I trust TB, PB and DB to get it right. There, I've said it.

With all the negativity around at the moment, I for one completely trust Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and yes, David Burke, to get it right off the field allowing Sami to do the biz on the field. I've been an Albion supporter since 1959 and the club has never, NEVER, been better organised or in better hands.

We are sticking to FFP, I know lots of people don't like that, but assuming the FL stick to it as well - I hope they do but I'm far from confident they will - then we'll be in a very strong position.

Feel free to bounce this in six months time if I'm wrong.

If I'm right, you can be sure I will!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I came back from the Amex tonight feeling very optimistic about the club and hopeful for the season. I liked what the panel had to say.

I log onto Nsc and find all the miseries are out in force, with Tony wanting to sell the club, we're going to lose our first 7 games, nobody wants to sign for us, we're going to be relegated by September, the training facilities aren't any good because we've got no players.

I think I'll take a valium and go to bed now.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I came back from the Amex tonight feeling very optimistic about the club and hopeful for the season. I liked what the panel had to say.

I log onto Nsc and find all the miseries are out in force, with Tony wanting to sell the club, we're going to lose our first 7 games, nobody wants to sign for us, we're going to be relegated by September, the training facilities aren't any good because we've got no players.

I think I'll take a valium and go to bed now.

You wouldn't have any spare, would you???

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
With all the negativity around at the moment, I for one completely trust Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and yes, David Burke, to get it right off the field allowing Sami to do the biz on the field. I've been an Albion supporter since 1959 and the club has never, NEVER, been better organised or in better hands.

We are sticking to FFP, I know lots of people don't like that, but assuming the FL stick to it as well - I hope they do but I'm far from confident they will - then we'll be in a very strong position.

Problem is, they've ALREADY got it wrong on the player acquisition front this close season. IMHO, of course.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
No team should be scrabbling around for players 5 days before the season starts , poor management from top to bottom

I guess 90% of clubs in the country have poor management then, as I can almost guarantee that we arent the only club who still needs to sign players.

No idea why im even bothering to reply to this drivel, but hey ho.....

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I am honestly looking forward with considerable enthusiasm to rolling up on Saturday, unfold my blanket and drape squarely upon my lap. Following this, after careful lid unscrewing, I shall devour my flask contents whilst enjoying the start to a fresh new season with new kit, new man at the helm, shiny new training facility and one or two new faces on the pitch.
90 minutes or so later, whether my vigour is maintained (indeed it was slightly tempered having witnessed the other night) depends on not just the result but all aspects of the game.
I hope that I am not left just holding a beacon of hope and expectation of what the next 5 years or so developments may or may not bring.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We are clearly not looking towards instant gratification.

I don't see why they should be criticised for missing out on a player who we have no idea whether he might propel us towards the top flight.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

nope sorry you have lost me

nope sorry you have lost me

Not sure what you don't follow. The FL have sanctions in place for clubs who don't adhere to FFP. These sanctions were reapproved by the clubs this summer.

If the FL go ahead and impose sanctions at the end of the year on clubs who haven't adhered to FFP that's fine. But if the FL fart about and don't impose the agreed sanctions then the clubs who didn't adhere will be laughing, and for sure won't adhere next year.

It's the same with any sanctions. If they aren't carried out they aren't any sort of deterrent.

Difficult to bounce if you don't say what success looks like.

I don't have a view at all but can you give your view of the difference between success and failure come Jan/Feb?

Difficult to say exactly but I would define acceptable success as being either in the top six or at least well in touch with a playoff place a month or so before the end of the season. But even if we aren't I won't necessarily lose faith with TB et al, but I'll be more concerned.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not sure what you don't follow. The FL have sanctions in place for clubs who don't adhere to FFP. These sanctions were reapproved by the clubs this summer.

If the FL go ahead and impose sanctions at the end of the year on clubs who haven't adhered to FFP that's fine. But if the FL fart about and don't impose the agreed sanctions then the clubs who didn't adhere will be laughing, and for sure won't adhere next year.

It's the same with any sanctions. If they aren't carried out they aren't any sort of deterrent.

They will only face a transfer embargo at worst, and most of these teams have made sure they are stocked up with good players so it won't really effect them.

The best we can hope for are a lot of players being offloaded in January as we may be one of the only clubs who can purchase any without much competition, and at the lowest rate.

It may be a game changer, and we may benefit in the long run, however I don't know what the next five months will be like.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

do you honestly think the FA will punish the wrongdoers enough to make a difference
impose sanctions you must be joking the FA could not find their arse with both hands, they don't even stand up to FIFA and UEFA when English players are abused abroad.
its obvious to me you think the same by your last sentence

D

Deleted member 22389

I really hope the clubs that have dismissed FFP are made to pay.
There are only so many billionaires who are prepared to throw their money down the toilet buying success for their chosen clubs, for the rest of us we need to be sensible.

I think in the long term we will be happy for the choices that are being made now because if we ever get to the Premier League financially we will be a lot better off than other clubs. As bloom said we would probably come straight back down, but I should imagine the plan is to get the stadium paid off, then after that every single penny we make is the clubs. That is how you build a club, not how it currently works where new money is used to plug existing debts at these clubs, because that debt just gets bigger and bigger.

do you honestly think the FA will punish the wrongdoers enough to make a difference
impose sanctions you must be joking the FA could not find their arse with both hands, they don't even stand up to FIFA and UEFA when English players are abused abroad.
its obvious to me you think the same by your last sentence

The FL say they will, but like you, I'm a bit sceptical. I wouldn't be completely surprised if they chicken out of it like they did with the original fines being distributed amongst other clubs.

Time will tell.

But leaving sanctions aside and indeed the rules about FFP, it seems to me to make sense to run the club on a sound financial footing anyway. That's going to be difficult within the rules of FFP but without them it would have been near impossible. At least all clubs are in the same boat.

In theory.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
FFP transgressors will not be fully punished to the advantage of those who complied, the threat of legal challenges will ensure that is the case....... we will be held up as a fine example of how to do it properly, then it will all be swept under that giant FL shagpile.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
No team should be scrabbling around for players 5 days before the season starts , poor management from top to bottom
Then there must be an epidemic of poor management at the moment.

How many teams can you think of that have publicly said they're happy with their squads and all deals are done and dusted?

It's not like we don't actually have a squad, sure, there are areas that could do with strengthening but that puts us in the same boat as most other teams out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here