Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Tony Bloom sell the club

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Have noticed an influx of foreign ownership in the championship recently. Charlton, Middlesbrough, Leeds, Reading. With the infrastructure in place at the albion and the potential for more commercial spin offs ie Hotel etc could Brighton be a prime target for acquisition? there have been a few rumours floating around recently.

Despite Bloom promising to keep the albion “in house” I find it odd now that he doesn’t want to push the extra mile to get the squad up to the required standard. Would it seem too far fetched to suggest that his relative lack of ambition on the field would perhaps make supporters more inclined to allow an outsider to take over and Bloom is therefore not too interested in pushing the boat out with this in mind?

Or does this all sound far fetched?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It doesn't seem far fetched at all, but the healthiest and most secure long-term option for the club would be for TB to continue at the healm, IMHO.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I mean obviously he can, the shares he has in the club are an asset like any other and I would assume that, subject to the usual Football League approval, he can sell them on, should he wish.

I don't think he will though. He seems to love the club and loves owning it, and he doesn't seem like he's strapped for cash at the moment. Alongside that, the spin offs that the OP mentioned clearly give another reason for him to stay involved with the club. If it might be attractive to an outsider then clearly it will be attractive to him as well.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Have noticed an influx of foreign ownership in the championship recently. Charlton, Middlesbrough, Leeds, Reading. With the infrastructure in place at the albion and the potential for more commercial spin offs ie Hotel etc could Brighton be a prime target for acquisition? there have been a few rumours floating around recently.

Despite Bloom promising to keep the albion “in house” I find it odd now that he doesn’t want to push the extra mile to get the squad up to the required standard. Would it seem too far fetched to suggest that his relative lack of ambition on the field would perhaps make supporters more inclined to allow an outsider to take over and Bloom is therefore not too interested in pushing the boat out with this in mind?

Pathetic, incoherent, ungrateful, insolent, inaccurate, rambling, childish post

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very much doubt TB will keep suffering year-on-year losses until 2027 or whatever it was. Why on earth would he? Fan or no fan, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't tolerate it in any other area of his business empire.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Reading fans thought Madjeski would never sell, but he realised that if they were ever to become an established Premier League his money simply wasn't going to be enough and he had to hand it over to a Russian. And we all know how that turned out.

With the constant influx of foreign money, becoming a regular feature in the Premier League is going to take more and more subsidising by rich owners. I guess it all depends how far Bloom is willing to delve into his pocket but my worry is that a lot of our fans who give it the big "Brighton fan in charge, chairman for life, we're financially secure forever" could be wide of the mark.

He probably would never want to sell, but at some point he might have to

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Can you imagine him selling to some demented over-rich East Asian businessman - who's made a fortune from sweatshops and cutting deals with dictatorial politicians - who'd promptly change our name to The Brighton Seagulls, make us play in green, rearrange the club shop along feng shui lines, then ban players born on the ninth or nineteenth of the month?

Christ, there aren't enough plastic bedsheets in the WORLD to contain the raging torrents of yellow nocturnal emissions that would ensue.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Can you imagine him selling to some demented over-rich East Asian businessman - who's made a fortune from sweatshops and cutting deals with dictatorial politicians - who'd promptly change our name to The Brighton Seagulls, make us play in green, rearrange the club shop along feng shui lines, then ban players born on the ninth or nineteenth of the month?

Christ, there aren't enough plastic bedsheets in the WORLD to contain the raging torrents of yellow nocturnal emissions that would ensue.

Yeah, but we'd probably have been able to sign Clayton

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Reading fans thought Madjeski would never sell, but he realised that if they were ever to become an established Premier League his money simply wasn't going to be enough and he had to hand it over to a Russian. And we all know how that turned out.

With the constant influx of foreign money, becoming a regular feature in the Premier League is going to take more and more subsidising by rich owners. I guess it all depends how far Bloom is willing to delve into his pocket but my worry is that a lot of our fans who give it the big "Brighton fan in charge, chairman for life, we're financially secure forever" could be wide of the mark.

He probably would never want to sell, but at some point he might have to

This - he is a property developer. He has renovated the club from top to bottom to get the most value from any sale. As a true businessman though I think he will wait until we get to the Prem (the loft conversion if you will) as this is the last thing that will add significant value.

Despite Bloom promising to keep the albion “in house” I find it odd now that he doesn’t want to push the extra mile to get the squad up to the required standard

Not to me, he's never lavished that big on players, that's not how we won League 1. I reckon he's a great believer in making a little go a long way and expects very high performance from managers. A very confident and assertive manager like Poyet persuaded him to spend more but I think things returned to par with a weaker figure like Oscar. Time will tell if Sami fights for more resources successfully

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

someone else said this last week
I said 18 months ago and got slated

He could but he won't.

is the right answer ...............well not yet anyway

Oh and you could ask him tonight and I am sure the answer will be NO

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Not far fetched at all. Vincent Tan has spent at least £140 million at Cardiff Redbirds. We don't know what TB's end game is. Anyway Bloom's personal circumstances could change at anytime forcing a sale. Business is Business.

Maybe we are getting PL ready for a buyer to step in. Bit like selling your house with planning permission already in place for an ambitious project you're not interested in taking on or are unable to attain yourself. didn't someone call it reaching our ceiling.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here