Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road links in the South better than in the North?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
BBC reporting that 5 northern cites are putting in a bid for government funds to improve the infrastructure up North. The report says
" council leaders in northern cities had argued for years the transport links in the region have been far too slow and inferior compared to those in the south of England."

In my travels around Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, I have always been impressed with the number of Motorways or dual carriageways and the ease of East - West rail travel.

I suppose it depends where "The South" is but down here below the M25 our road network is awful and our rail network is not fit for purpose so I cannot see that The North is that hard done by. Have I got it wrong?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not too sure about the North, but I find that in the Midlands transport is generally very good - i.e. the roads and public transport, but travelling from the West Midlands to the East Midlands, or vice-versa, is a real nightmare.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
BBC reporting that 5 northern cites are putting in a bid for government funds to improve the infrastructure up North. The report says
" council leaders in northern cities had argued for years the transport links in the region have been far too slow and inferior compared to those in the south of England."

In my travels around Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, I have always been impressed with the number of Motorways or dual carriageways and the ease of East - West rail travel.

I suppose it depends where "The South" is but down here below the M25 our road network is awful and our rail network is not fit for purpose so I cannot see that The North is that hard done by. Have I got it wrong?

By 'South' I think they a) mean the South east and b) are generally referring to London. Everything else in the south east is just an outpost of London, and love it or hate it London does have a pretty comprehensive transport network.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The roads up there are generally so much quieter than here that it's ridiculous!

Ridiculously busy. Cross Pennnine travel is a nightmare. M62 choked most of the day. Biggest problem no viable alternative that can be done in a reasonable time, so 1 accident no travel.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

The majority of the money they are looking for is to be spent on rail infrastructure rather than road though. All the main rail links go north to south, rather than linking up the cities, ports and airports. Seems like a sensible proposal to me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ridiculously busy. Cross Pennnine travel is a nightmare. M62 choked most of the day. Biggest problem no viable alternative that can be done in a reasonable time, so 1 accident no travel.

There are obvious exceptions, but comparing like for like, a road as busy as the A22 or A27 would have 6 lanes if it were in Yorkshire, not 2.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
There are obvious exceptions, but comparing like for like, a road as busy as the A22 or A27 would have 6 lanes if it were in Yorkshire, not 2.

Haha. 2 lanes. You lucky *******. I use the A21...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Of course, you are absolutely right, all the busy roads up here (all 3 of them) are 6 lanes

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

You're right, the motorways around Newcastle carry a quarter of the traffic that the A27 does with a lane less...the Dover to Honiton super highway should be a UK priority....this is trying to catch wavering votes

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here