Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bernie Ecclestone trial!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a ridiculous court system to have that means if you have the money you can buy you way out. At least we've found something the German's aren't best at - it will annoy the hell out of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a ridiculous court system to have that means if you have the money you can buy you way out. At least we've found something the German's aren't best at - it will annoy the hell out of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] :lol:

I will be very disappointed if the prosecutors do accept the settlement. But let's wait until their verdict.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
On a charge and using the same "crime" to get off?

Imagine being on a rape charge and raping all the female members of the jury to get off ......

hmmmm, I think not!

If this goes through, the world is utterly mad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Imagine being on a rape charge and raping all the female members of the jury to get off ......

hmmmm, I think not!

You're odd.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

hmmmm, I think not!

If we're going to use such a strange analogy then I'd suggest it is more akin to raping the judge rather than jurors.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not really. This principle exists in many countires including the UK. UK prosecutors often do deals where a guilt plea is accepted for lesser charges (and in turn sentences) to conclude difficult cases.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What would have been the punishment if found guilty? If it would have been a heavy fine, then paying now seems like the sensible thing to do. If it would have carried a custodial sentence, then being able to pay your way out would be complete madness. Just like you shouldn't be able to pay your way out of other crimes that are punishable by imprisonment.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Not really. This principle exists in many countires including the UK. UK prosecutors often do deals where a guilt plea is accepted for lesser charges (and in turn sentences) to conclude difficult cases.

A fair point - even we as mere peasants can buy our way out of our first three speeding points.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What would have been the punishment if found guilty? If it would have been a heavy fine, then paying now seems like the sensible thing to do. If it would have carried a custodial sentence, then being able to pay your way out would be complete madness. Just like you shouldn't be able to pay your way out of other crimes that are punishable by imprisonment.

I think he could have got upto 5 years.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Then being able to pay your way out, without a trial, would be insane.

It's even worse.

"Eccelstone's defence lawyer, Sven Thomas, has justified the settlement negotiations, saying his client had been suffering from the "extremely burdensome procedure". The British billionaire could have faced up to 10 years in jail and would have had to cede control of a business he has built up over the past four decades."

I think the ultimate irony would be if he claimed the money back as a business expense!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just when I think it's gone as far as it can, the elite once again brazenly take the piss out of us to our face.

Can anyone defend this from a non financial perspective? I'm interested.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here