Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lingard scores for United

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looks like his chances of a place in the United 25 named man squad may be quite reasonable. If so not sure he would come back on loan with us again.

He only played 12 minutes but does seem to be getting some time to impress the coach there, though it was noticeable that Wilf didn't.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
To think people scoffed at me when I suggested that LVG would want to have a look at him, once he got back from the WC, before allowing him to go on loan.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lovely goal. Real shame we didn't get him for a whole season so he could've settled in a bit more. Oh well.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I read somewhere that LVG will speak to his players when they're back to let them know if he wants them involved during the season, so it'll be interesting to see if Jesse will stay in and around the first team or they'll give him another season to develop on loan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Looks like his chances of a place in the United 25 named man squad may be quite reasonable. If so not sure he would come back on loan with us again.

He only played 12 minutes but does seem to be getting some time to impress the coach there, though it was noticeable that Wilf didn't.

He's still only 21. Does he need to be named in the 25?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looks like he's ahead of Zaha in the pecking order now. As he should be.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But what about all those posts that said variously he was lightweight, needed bulking up, was in general crap and we shouldn't take him back?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But what about all those posts that said variously he was lightweight, needed bulking up, was in general crap and we shouldn't take him back?

He WAS lightweight, but has tonnes of talent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He was lightweight and overall didn't perform particularly well IMO. One goal in a pre season friendly hasn't changed my opinion.

Anyone could see that he absolutely oozed class. It's no surprise to me that he's featuring in a strong United side.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Anyone could see that he absolutely oozed class. It's no surprise to me that he's featuring in a strong United side.

The kid has talent, not so sure about oozing class though. A 5 minute sub appearance doesn't say a great deal either. I'm sure he'll go on to have a good career, I just didn't think he was up to much for us.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The kid has talent, not so sure about oozing class though. A 5 minute sub appearance doesn't say a great deal either. I'm sure he'll go on to have a good career, I just didn't think he was up to much for us.

Fair enough, game of opinions. I didn't think he was that EFFECTIVE yet, as he hadn't learnt that you didn't get fouls in the Champ for going over all the time (as perhaps you would in the Prem). I think IF he can learn to use his weight better he could go on to be a good Prem player.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Fair enough, game of opinions. I didn't think he was that EFFECTIVE yet, as he hadn't learnt that you didn't get fouls in the Champ for going over all the time (as perhaps you would in the Prem). I think IF he can learn to use his weight better he could go on to be a good Prem player.

Spot on

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I'm not sure that Lingard benefitted from Oscar's system. We often played the ball forward quite predictably without real pace and geared to Ulloa leading the line. Lingard often played deeper than you would hope and frequently 30 yards from Ulloa. It seems to me that Lingard would have preferred a fast, open game with the Albion playing a much higher line.

He might do better under Hyypia's system.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure that Lingard benefitted from Oscar's system. We often played the ball forward quite predictably without real pace and geared to Ulloa leading the line. Lingard often played deeper than you would hope and frequently 30 yards from Ulloa. It seems to me that Lingard would have preferred a fast, open game with the Albion playing a much higher line.

He might do better under Hyypia's system.

While I can see what you mean, he looked like a centre-back the times he was put clean through or with the ball in space near their goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here