Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-season becoming less and less important...

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
...as we buy all our players at the last minute.

If we do sign 4 or 5 first teamers between now and the end of August then we will end up having to integrate them into our tactics/methodology in a couple of training sessions.

This problem is not unique to us, I was talking to a Wednesday fan this morning and he says their team on Saturday will be unrecognisable to the one they start at end of August.

I can only see this getting worse in coming years as the Premier League's squads getting bigger and bigger and we have to wait to the last minute to see who they can't sell and want to offload on loan to the likes of us.

This will probably have a knock on effect in terms of the types of football teams are willing to experiment with, i.e. its hard to be brave and try new formations if your manager meets your new star player a day before your next game!

Anyway... transfers are dragging on and on for whatever reason feels unsatisfying!

[End of moan] :moo:

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
And managers subject to the same 'window' rules as players - i.e. stop the managers merry-go-round and give them a chance to bed in... unless they resign in which case... ah, forget it. :smokin:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'd suggest that getting rid of transfer windows completely would be a better solution. Their introduction has, like most recent changes to the way football operates, benefitted the richest half dozen clubs to the detriment of everyone else.

On top of that, media outlets love it as it gives them something to talk endlessly about during the time when, pre season, there was, traditionally, bugger all for them to report and discuss.

Betting companies also love it as, pre season, there was, traditionally, bugger all for people to bet on football wise other than the Australian Pools.

Like it or not, successful football forums such as NSC, also thrive on the discussions of potential transfers with thousands of posts on some threads discussing a new signing.

It's added a whole new dynamic to how teams are put together which benefits outside organisations to the detriment of the game itself.

I hate it but it's here to stay, without question.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here