Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** CHELSEA TRIALISTS SIGN ONE YEAR DEALS (multiple merges) ***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Danny Pappoe and George Cole have today joined Brighton & Hove Albion under-21, having each agreed a one-year contract.

Both players – who were previously with Chelsea – have been with the club on trial throughout pre-season, and appeared in the under-21s friendly matches, including the tour to La Manga, Spain.

Under-21 coach Simon Ireland said, “Trial periods are always high pressure for a player because you are on a limited timescale to show what you can do, but both Danny and George have slipped seamlessly into the group and that has paid dividends on and off the pitch.

“We don’t just sign these players on what they do during their trial though, we have looked at both before they came here and we have also looked at what they can offer going forward, and we are very pleased to add them into our squad.

“Both have good experience having played at a club of Chelsea’s stature and we feel they will help us be competitive and provide some stability during our first season as a category one side.

“With so many players taking the step up to the first team recently there has been a void in our under-21s that our under-18s have been filling, but we needed to bring in more faces at under-21 level so that we don’t over exert our youngsters too early.”

Head of football operations David Burke added, “It is another positive sign for the club that young players that have been at some of the biggest clubs in England are seeking out Brighton as a place to go, because there is a realistic pathway for them to the first team."

Cole, 19, is an attacking midfielder who rose to prominence in Chelsea’s under-18s before leaving Blues at the end of last season.

Central defender Pappoe, 20, has represented Ghana at under-20 level and has already made his professional league debut while briefly on loan at Colchester United in 2013.

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 15.31.48.png

Last edited by a moderator:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
blimey that George is some size
welcome on board lads

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I imagine some will manage to spin this news negatively. Waah, why another midfielder, haven't we got enough? Waah, why haven't we signed a striker? Waah, what's the point in signing u21s when we haven't got a first team? Waah relegation Barber pies Burke transport iron-on sponsor 4 quid for Harveys waah

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So this is what the club has been wasting its time wiv i dont get it we need quality players proven NOW we need to go up NOW this is stupid i hate gus poyett etc

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Good luck to the both of them. Low risk with move and worth 1 year deals to these released lads if even just a few make it into the first team.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Glad to see George has sorted that barnet out, now the question of that ginger beard to sort out.

How many is that from Chelsea now?

Bridcutt
Sampyro
Rodgers
Ince
Cole
Pappoe

have I missed anyone else?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Glad to see George has sorted that barnet out, now the question of that ginger beard to sort out.

How many is that from Chelsea now?

Bridcutt
Sampyro
Rodgers
Ince
Cole
Pappoe

have I missed anyone else?

Jesse Starkley (sp?) is also in the reserve/development squad. Friend of mine who played with Solly March at Lewes seems to think that March was at Chelsea for a brief spell at u-14/16 level.

Solid signings these two, Pappoe in particular is a very good young player.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not too difficult to sign Prem team cast offs at this time of year. Signing players who will do well in the Championship is another matter ???

We haven't done too badly with Chelsea cast offs previously with Bridcutt and Ince. I appreciate there have been others.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Danny Pappoe is the big guy and George Cole is the smaller guy.

sorry my mistake
that Danny guy is big
or is George Cole small
anyways they look and sound as though they will fit in well

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here