Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion players of the Great War (today's Argus)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Unfashionable as it is to praise the Argus, there's a lovely article in their First World War spread today about Albion players who were lost during the conflict. Some desperately poignant stories in there.

Robert "Pom Pom" Whiting, a goalkeeper who played 320 times for the Albion (I know many of you will know all about him, no intent to patronise here, I just imagine there's a fair few who won't know his story). He enlisted in the famous Footballers' Battalion and was posted to the Western Front. Came home on leave in the summer of 1916 with his wife Nellie due to give birth to their third child, Pom Pom couldn't face returning when it was his time to go back to the front, and went missing. He was found four months later and court martialled. Such was the need for soldiers, rather than being imprisoned or shot, he was demoted in rank and sent back to France, where, in April 1917, he was killed by a shell while tending to injured comrades. He has no known grave, and his widow faced unfounded rumours that he'd been shot for desertion, compelling her to write to the Argus to set the record straight.

Four other Albion men went to war, and never returned: Private Jasper Batey (aged 25 when killed), Private Clement Matthews (26), Private Frederick Bates (33) and Private Charles Dexter (27).

There's a line in the article relating to the death of Jasper Batey: "A parcel of cigarettes was sent by the club to his grieving comrades at the front". I've no idea why- perhaps it's the perceived triviality of such a gesture in the face of such horror- but that really gets me.

Hard to comprehend such stuff in a modern context, isn't it? :(

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just to give a little more context to the players and some which the Argus didn't include (presumably because they were ex-players).

According to Seagulls! The Story of Brighton & Hove Albion F.C.

Bob Whiting (320 apps), Jasper Batey (40 apps), Charlie Matthews (12 apps), Charlie Dexter (36 apps) and groundsman Fred Bates. Former players who sacrificed their lives were Arthur Hulme (174 apps), Jimmy Smith (65 apps 40 goals), Alan Haig-Brown (3 apps), Ernie Townsend (0 apps) and Tom Morris (46 apps).

A memorial was placed in the boardroom in 1923.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Could be wrong- does Pom Pom Whiting feature on one of the banners outside the Amex? At 320 appearances, he must be fairly high up the all time chart.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I recommend the WW1 exhibition in the Brighton Museum, it has the story of the war through 10 Brightonians (one of whom was Whiting). It's very good (and free).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Could be wrong- does Pom Pom Whiting feature on one of the banners outside the Amex? At 320 appearances, he must be fairly high up the all time chart.

Yes. There's also a black marble headstone in the Memorial garden listing the names of those who died in WW1 & WW2.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Yes. There's also a black marble headstone in the Memorial garden listing the names of those who died in WW1 & WW2.

:thumbsup: I knew about the marble stone, but I wasn't sure if I was imagining the Pom Pom banner.

I want to go and leave him a poppy now :(

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
That is an EXCELLENT match report (and result, obviously) :clap:

Modern match reports are much the worse for the absence of such terms as "scored a grand goal" and "cleared the ball in thrilling fashion". Go, Pom Pom!

It is always worth a look at some of the old newspaper reports. As lofty as the language is, they give a splendid insight in to the culture of the time. Reports on events such as sports matches tend to be a lot more engaging too.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
WhitingPom&GingerBatey.jpg

Two of the aforementioned gents: Pom Pom and Jasper "Ginger" Batey in action for the Albion.

Also just found this site: http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/Bob_Whiting_of_BHA.htm It's an amazing read, I really can't recommend it enough. Some utterly compelling stuff on there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
HOW WHITING FELL

DASTARDLY RUMOUR REPUTED

For some time past a dastardly rumour has been in circulation in Brighton to the effect that Whiting, who greatly distinguished himself as a goalkeeper in the service of Brighton and Hove Albion, and previously with Chelsea, was shot as a deserter in France, the real fact being that he fell gallantly in action.

Unhappily the rumour has now reached the ears of his widow, and has come as a great shock to her. Fortunately, Mrs. Whiting, who is now living with her fatherless little ones at 3, Albion Square, St. John’s Road, Tunbridge Wells, has in her possession official documents and letters which disprove a foul calumny on the heroic dead. These she has forwarded to Mr. Albert Underwood, Secretary of the Albion, with the request that they should be given all possible publicity.

They have been shewn to a Representative of the Sussex Daily News, which gladly opens its columns for the purpose.

Sussex Daily News, 3rd September 1919

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
HOW WHITING FELL

DASTARDLY RUMOUR REPUTED

For some time past a dastardly rumour has been in circulation in Brighton to the effect that Whiting, who greatly distinguished himself as a goalkeeper in the service of Brighton and Hove Albion, and previously with Chelsea, was shot as a deserter in France, the real fact being that he fell gallantly in action.

Unhappily the rumour has now reached the ears of his widow, and has come as a great shock to her. Fortunately, Mrs. Whiting, who is now living with her fatherless little ones at 3, Albion Square, St. John’s Road, Tunbridge Wells, has in her possession official documents and letters which disprove a foul calumny on the heroic dead. These she has forwarded to Mr. Albert Underwood, Secretary of the Albion, with the request that they should be given all possible publicity.

They have been shewn to a Representative of the Sussex Daily News, which gladly opens its columns for the purpose.

Sussex Daily News, 3rd September 1919

Dastardly rumours indeed, thankfully we didn't have Twitter in those days..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Dastardly rumours indeed, thankfully we didn't have Twitter in those days..

I love "letters which disprove a foul calumny on the heroic deed" too. Positively Shakespearean in its tone. I'm hearing it in Sir Ian McKellen's voice whenever I read it.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Great pic of the pair . have to have a chuckle though as it appears Batey was 100 years ahead of Suarez , Orlandi etc with the thumb in mouth salute

I'd imagine goals in those days were celebrated by a brisk "Jolly good show, old chap", occasionally combined with a quick and extremely manly handshake for those vital last-minute winners against Palace.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I love "letters which disprove a foul calumny on the heroic deed" too. Positively Shakespearean in its tone. I'm hearing it in Sir Ian McKellen's voice whenever I read it.

It does sound like a line from 'As you like it'.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I'd imagine goals in those days were celebrated by a brisk "Jolly good show, old chap", occasionally combined with a quick and extremely manly handshake for those vital last-minute winners against Palace.

"Jolly good show old chum , that's put blighters from Croydon firmly in their place "

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Letter to Mrs Whiting from the force chaplain...

"Your husband was killed at the post of duty during an attack on the 28th instantaneously by shell fire. It is sad for those left behind but you must remember there is a world to come ..."

:ohmy:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here