Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Specs help Required

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Mrs Rolls, needs to get her eyes tested (There you go I have served up a nice gentle lob there). she is likely going to need new glasses, especially for reading and prescription sun glasses. Any strong recommendations between Worthing and Brighton and any avoid at all costs ?

Thanks

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I always use Specsavers. Never had a single problem with them.

Very thorough eye testing, knowledgeable staff & pretty good pricewise too.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I've tried a couple of the stylish places in Brighton but last time I went to Worthing Specsavers - just as good and cheaper.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I always use Specsavers. Never had a single problem with them.

Very thorough eye testing, knowledgeable staff & pretty good pricewise too.

Same. Got a pair of varifocals and a pair of varifocal sunglasses at the same time from Specsavers branch at North Street, Brighton a couple of years back. No problems whatsoever and was impressed by the thoroughness of their eye testing. Decent price also.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Mrs Rolls, needs to get her eyes tested (There you go I have served up a nice gentle lob there). she is likely going to need new glasses, especially for reading and prescription sun glasses. Any strong recommendations between Worthing and Brighton and any avoid at all costs ?

Thanks

I use the one in Steyning , a privately owned business and do all the testing , they give you a more personalised customer care . I was a bit dubious to start with thinking that a privately owned shop would be more expensive than Specsavers etc but they weren't . Good selection of glasses too and makes . A bit of advice , not sure of Mrs Rolls' circumstances but tell them her parents have glaucoma and you will get the eye test free :) , I did by mistake and got it free .

Easier to park the car too and free rather than Brighton .

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I've had a few problems with eye tests at specsavers over the years, so have my eyes tested at local independent opticians then get glasses at specsavers as I've got an unusually fat head and specsavers have a good range to fit my head compared to independent who had none!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
No problems with Specsavers here either. Boots were quite good too.

I had a bad experience with Vision Express in the mall. They really went for the hard sell on their (expensive) frames when all I wanted was the results of my eye test.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another vote for Specsavers, but remember they are franchises so each branch is different. Having said that, I've had good service from them. I was referred straight to hospital a few years ago with a macular hole in my retina which had been picked up in a regular eye test.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personal opinion is that Boots' range of frames is somewhat limited. I get my contact lenses from them, but I went to Vision Express in Churchill Square for my specs as they had far more frames to choose from. Boots' frames seemed generally to be aimed at either the Thora Hird market, or the Su Pollard impersonators.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No problems with Specsavers here either. Boots were quite good too.

I had a bad experience with Vision Express in the mall. They really went for the hard sell on their (expensive) frames when all I wanted was the results of my eye test.

This. Specsavers usually fine, VE tried to get me to take all sorts of upgrades (not in Brighton, so it must be their way of operating)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Normally by this point in a thread some smartass will have suggested that Popular + Cheap = Evil, but not happening for Specsavers. Guess they must be doing SOMETHING right. :clap2:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Thanks all excellent and consistent advice. I will point Mrs Rolls towards specsavers in Worthing, with a cheeky look in Vision Express to check the girly frames.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I did some paid market research on opticians a couple of years back.

I got fed up with having eye tests, but I can also say that I opted to go back to Specsavers in North Street, Brighton to purchase my specs. I was very impressed with their service and pricing.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
get a free Specsavers eye test voucher off the web , get them tested there and then ask for your prescription and buy online - they're so used to it and are legally obliged to supply the prescription

Done this for the last 10 years and for last 5 or so years have been buying through glasses www.directsight.com - never had a single problem

no quibbles return if you don't like them and can order trial frames before ordering if you want - half the price of Specsavers who have to pay rent, wages, other bills etc..l

had a pair of ultra thin 1.67 lenses, rimless with photochromic reaction lenses for £99.00 - same pair i costed up in Specsavers was just shy of £250.00 !!

if she has glasses already you'll get the size measurements off the inside of the frame so minimal adjustment when they arrive

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tesco at Holmbush were really good. Had my eye test on a Thursday evening, and although was told they'd be ready within 2 weeks, my new specs were ready to be picked up on the Saturday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have had my eyes tested at Specsavers for years but last time took my prescription to Asda where I was very surprised to find they had a pretty decent range of specs. Not only that, got 2 pairs for around £100 including ultra thin lenses. With my eyesight being pretty poor, one pair would usually cost me about three times that. I'll be going back.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Thanks
If you're not in that much of a rush the wait for one of the periodic free eye test campaigns by one of the chains , you're u der no obligation to buy glasses from them , and then buy from glassed direct.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Thanks

It is with huge relief I read your post. On reading the post title I was in fear Dave Stockdale was making an appeal. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here