Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lights off, candles on doorstep.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm open to the possibility it's just me but does anyone else find it patronising we are being encouraged to switch our lights off and light a candle in reference to the speech given at the commencing of WWI and to remember the event? I feel there's a real drive to create these event moments in this country for the last few years. I remember the war every time our government sends young men overseas to die pointless deaths not with gimmicky government initiatives.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the main point is that it is 100 years today, so it is a bit different I would say

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
At 11pm tonight my lights will be out anyway! Bit pointless doing it that late IMO :) but yes, get where coming from. However it's just tapping into modern way of life i.e. Unless you're visibly showing you're participation in whatever (at a concert, restaurant etc) then you're 'not there' because nobody else knows so it's vital you record ever minute of your existence and tell everyone you know :)

Back to subject of WW1, I do agree. The BBC has made this such an event (as they must so with so much these days) that by 2018 I'm sure we'll nearly be as war weary as our ancestors were. And I'm a History 'buff' especially this subject yet I'm getting tired I the endless stuff being churned out since January - only 4 more years to go mind. But please, no more Crimson Fields!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know the point of it.

Also I think it is important for new generations to know what happened and raise awareness of our history

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I get bored of the sensationalism of it all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I get bored of the sensationalism of it all.

What I find most odd about the UK is the amount of people offended by people recognizing events, showing respect, giving up 2 minutes, showing grief, going back to Diana and onwards. If people want to act as they do, let them, it does not affect you. Just go to bed and don't do it. It is quite an easy solution really.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What I find most odd about the UK is the amount of people offended by people recognizing events, showing respect, giving up 2 minutes, showing grief, going back to Diana and onwards. If people want to act as they do, let them, it does not affect you. Just go to bed and don't do it. It is quite an easy solution really.

I'm happy to mark occasions, I always attend remembrance service, wear my poppy. I find that particular understated and appropriate. The commentary on the news about today's events is very reminiscent of the whole Diana circus. Yes, the event should be marked but this is all a bit ridiculous.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm happy to mark occasions, I always attend remembrance service, wear my poppy. I find that particular understated and appropriate. The commentary on the news about today's events is very reminiscent of the whole Diana circus. Yes, the event should be marked but this is all a bit ridiculous.

Hey ho, have a good day anyway mate

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Also I think it is important for new generations to know what happened and raise awareness of our history

I don't really think this raises awareness. Everyone knows WW1 occurred, and being asked to perform a symbolic gesture doesn't really educate anyone any further about the importance of it.

Lighting a candle doesn't help anyone get closer to 'knowing what happened'. If they want to know what happened, they can buy a book and read it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like it. My dear grandfather fought in WWII, was captured in the Aegean and held PoW for 3 years in Germany and Austria. Carried the RBL Standard on Remembrance Sunday for 40 years and my grandmaother sold poppies for the same period. he died at 90, but in all that time never talked about his war experiences - we only found out later he'd written a diary during his time in POW camps. Very grim reading. Anything I can do to remember what he and his like did is a good thing as far as I am concerned, and be thankful we have gone a couple of generations without a World War.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't really think this raises awareness. Everyone knows WW1 occurred, and being asked to perform a symbolic gesture doesn't really educate anyone any further about the importance of it.

Lighting a candle doesn't help anyone get closer to 'knowing what happened'. If they want to know what happened, they can buy a book and read it.

Do people of school age know WW1 happened ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would usually agree with the OP that the creation of 'event moments' is tedious at best. In this case I feel that we should do all that we can to encourage young people to gain some insight into the astonishing sacrifices that our forebears made which has allowed us all to live in this mainly tolerant and liberal society. The relevance of WW1 does fade with the passing of time but we should never forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here