Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our life-time

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, it's 100 years ago today that the madness officially began for us and like many on here, my great grandfather never came back.

Here's to Sgt Harry 'Portlock', RIP. Poor old grandma Rosie never really recovered. But he went away proud to be doing his bit :)

Who else is commemorating today?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
a bit of sombre reflection today... Not mentioned at all in Czech media...but they were, by default, on the opposing side..

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I saw something on TV about a family in a small village who lost 7 members of their family including three sons, a couple of years later their mother was at a ceremony for unveiling of the war memorial a member of the Royal Family thanked her for her sacrifice, she replied 'It wasn't a sacrifice as she'd never offered it'.

Whenever I visit various churches both in Sussex and around the country I always look at the 14-18 and 39-45 memorials, seeing so many people with the same surnames, brings it home, we almost had a whole generation of young men wiped out.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My great granddad too, at Passchendaale in October 1917, blown to bits and buried at 9 Elms Cemetary, Poperinge, Belgium. Since the advent of Ancestry I have been able to put together his war record and been able to track down some of his letters home through remote members of the family up in Northumberland. He features on several memorials up there, so, as they say, his name will be remembered forever more.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Will be visiting my Step Grandfathers home town. He managed to survive The Somme and went on to run butchers shops around Surrey.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my Grandfather came back in a wheelchair and eventually died in 1927
although he was a Cheltenham boy he joined the South Wales Borderers
I have yet to find out where he got his injuries.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
my Grandfather came back in a wheelchair and eventually died in 1927
although he was a Cheltenham boy he joined the South Wales Borderers
I have yet to find out where he got his injuries.

Have you tried the National Archives for WW1 service records. Some were lost in a fire, bit others remain and are on-line.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Have you tried the National Archives for WW1 service records. Some were lost in a fire, bit others remain and are on-line.

I am in the process now
unfortunately he had a very common name for that time and area and also unfortunately there is nobody left on my fathers side to give me any clues.
the whole family on my fathers side is a bit complicated at best and he never talked about his family at all

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Great Uncle blown up and never found in 1915, France. Great Uncle killed on the Lion at Jutland. Grandfather lost an arm and damaged lungs in Flanders; a survivor.Grandfather shot and shrapnelled on the Somme; a survivor.

All always remembered by me. As are the rest of them.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Grandfather wounded in no man's land - spent 12 hours waiting to be rescued. Died early in the 1960's because of
the head shrapnel wounds.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My Grandfather's cousin was awarded the VC as a territorial officer on Hill 60. Hugely, hugely proud of his achievements. It was, in fact, the second time that he'd been awarded the VC during that war. The first time, unfortunately, his Commanding Officer was killed between him recommending the VC and it being ratified, so it was never awarded.

After the war, my Grandfather's cousin was so profoundly moved by the whole conflict that he became a priest. One of the stories that my Grandfather loves telling is that during the General Strike of 1926 all soldiers who had fought in WW1, and were able-bodied, were requested to report to their local police station to support the response. Being a priest in full dress, his presence wasn't immediately welcomed and or thought useful by the policeman on duty. Not wanting to put himself forward too much, my Grandfather's cousin didn't say anything but simply jotted his name, regiment and medals down on the entry form and walked out. Many years later, he was at Buckingham Palace for a veterans event and heard the General Strike story being told, with several embellishments, by someone nearby. He was able to step in and identify himself.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Local memorial shows that my family had three members away at the war and they all came back. So lucky. The one I really knew was wounded a couple of times. Many of their friends from the village never returned.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
When you consider how small Worthing was in 1914, the scale of the slaughter really stands out. If the link works, it's to a website that gives details of all those on the war memorial.

It makes for some very sad reading, especially those families that suffered multiple losses. One family lost 3 sons in one day!

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/Worthing.html

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This was posted on YouTube showing Southwick during World War 1 - makes you wonder how many came back. Very moving

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Lost my Grandfather 6 weeks before the end of the war, he made it back to the uk but died of gangrene poisoning in a kent Hospital.
Bless him, so sad my father never got to know him as he was one at the time.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Great Grandad Alfred Henry Bailey Royal Berks killed on Somme by British shell falling short May 1916 and Great Grandad Thomas Samuel Faultless MGC killed on the Somme Aug 1916

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
now in World War 1 thread

Last edited:

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Choked up by the posts on this thread - but it is a kind of catharsis, I think.
My grandfather was wounded and gassed, couldn't breathe properly when he returned from the Somme; he couldn't hold down a job and apparently committed suicide by throwing himself into a river in Balcombe.
One of the many tragedies of a lost generation......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here