Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New Centre Half

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
With all the speculation regarding incoming midfielders, wingers and strikers, there's been no hint of another CB coming in.

Shirley we wont go through the season with just Greer, Hughes and Dunk? Two of those will be eligible for a bus pass soon as well.

Do you think we'll bring in another CB, and if so will it be a starter, ageing back up or another young prospect? ???

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Might depend on the left back we get, some can cover both positions.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Doubt it, but you never know.

Perhaps a Premier League loanee who can also play rightback as well.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No.

We have maksimenko.

4 is plenty, with ince and Calderon who can also play centre back.

I'm not convinced Maxi is good enough, poor old Calde can maybe cover a game here and there, and I've never seen Ince at CB.

I think we need another.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My issues as it stands on the CB position (yes I think we may need a new one)

Greer - gone downhill the last year it is and isn't getting any younger. Still probe to the odd major feck up....

Hughes - only seen v saints & didn't impress me. Struggled in the air. Of course that's one game but big shoes to fill in Upson...

Dunk - good player but suffers serious lapses in concentration - take the 2nd goal at posh the other day where he completely switched off & let their bloke run past him. Looked much stronger last season next to Upson than he did Greer..

I'm worried tbh...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
With Stockdale, possibly Clayton and a new striker (possibly two) the spine is starting to look strong...............apart form the defence.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You think he's genuinely good enough at Championship level? Sorted if he is.

Not yet, no, but we're unlikely to have 4/5 players at that level in that position at any one time. But having someone who can fill in - maybe.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah we definately need a centre back, as Hughes, Greer wont be able to play all the games, dunk is not overly consistent and can have some shocking performances, so id like a experienced at this level 25-30 year old be ideal but so far looking okay and with players linked with could be very exciting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not yet, no, but we're unlikely to have 4/5 players at that level in that position at any one time. But having someone who can fill in - maybe.
The problems start if Greer and Hughes are missing at the same time.

The default central defense setting should be Dunk +1.
Followed Greer & Hughes.
But Dunk as senior partner plus a centre half with minimal or no first team experience is asking for trouble.

I think we need one more centre half with experience for this season.
It takes the pressure of Dunk, allows him to own the position then forge a partnership with Rae/Dallison/Maxi next season.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'd like to see another centre half arrive. Any long term injury to Greer, Hughes or Dunk would leave us very exposed. A premier league loan would seem ideal although it would be a huge decision to drop Greer or Hughes to the bench and I want to see Dunk continue to develop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here