Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That doesn't change the fact we can only play 10 outfield players, and some of those really ought to be defenders and strikers.

Ince
Toko
Crofts
March
KLL
Buckley
Clayton
JFC
Stephens

Kemi
The obvious one I've forgotten.

But 5 of those will probably start with at least another 2 on the bench, some will pick up injuries as well from time to time so not too many imo.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If the rumours are to be believed we are about to become very midfield heavy.
Something's got to give.

I would be worried if we got rid of players that gave us width.

If you break it down I would suggest we have:

Ince, Toko, who can act as holding

KLL, Buckley, primarily wide players

Stephens, Crofts - up and down midfielders, who can contribute both offensively and defensively

That leaves:

JFC, who for England looks better in an advanced position, but plays deeper for us and IMO is very weak in that position.

Solly, who can provide width but is being groomed as a creative player, but is a little light.

Kemi, who is more of a sitting midfielder who can create, but doesn't have the engine to get up and down.

If we sign Clayton presumably he is the attacking, creative type we have been after.

It will be very competitive and perhaps someone will have to leave but I hope its not KLL or Buckley. I wonder if JFC or Solly will go out on loan.

:shrug:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Surely Kemy will be the one to leave on a free if Clayton comes in.

Clayton in
Ward in
Baldock in
Another striker in

Kemy out
Fenelon out on loan
Walton out on loan with recall option

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hang on, I thought preseason meant nothing and the signings coming in on deadline day would make everything fine? Surely DS will be the same :moo:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That doesn't change the fact we can only play 10 outfield players, and some of those really ought to be defenders and strikers.

Ince
Toko
Crofts
March
KLL
Buckley
Clayton
JFC
Stephens

Kemi

I assume we have 10 midfield places in the squad so if Clayton and Kostic are coming in that gives

Ince
Toko
Crofts
March
KLL
Buckley
Clayton
JFC
Stephens
Kostic
Kemy

Which tells me Kemy is surely going, although there could be case for cashing in on KLL if we get a decent offer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Ince
Toko
Crofts
March
KLL
Buckley
Clayton
JFC
Stephens

Kemi

only 2 give us both width and pace (when fit!) of which one is Buckley..hence my earlier post

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume we have 10 midfield places in the squad so if Clayton and Kostic are coming in that gives

Ince
Toko
Crofts
March
KLL
Buckley
Clayton
JFC
Stephens
Kostic
Kemy

Which tells me Kemy is surely going, although there could be case for cashing in on KLL if we get a decent offer.
I guess so.
Still thinking that seems a lot I've just counted up the midfield squad for Barnsley 03.12.13 (as that programme is to hand).

That stood at 12:-

Andrews
Crofts
Keny
Orlandi
JFC
Spanish Dave
Conway
KLL
Bridcutt
March
Buckley
Ince.

So it would appear I'm being a bit 'unnecessary'.
I guess it just seems like we are only buying midfielders forgetting how many we shipped out, months ago.
Not helped by the fact there's only one signing we are actually all waiting for.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I guess it just seems like we are only buying midfielders forgetting how many we shipped out, months ago.

I think that's it. In the FFP era we can't afford to carry a huge number of players, and it seems we are midfield heavy, but we really have lost a lot of them. Having two for each position, plus a couple more, is more than enough for a squad - in the event of a genuine injury crisis we'd surely bring in a loan on rely on the DS on the bench anyway, but to an extent a genuine crisis is impossible to compensate for without bloating the squad.

Assuming the current rumours are true (which is a leap I accept, so I've given them a "*") our squad could end up looking pretty strong...

GK: Stockdale/Ankergren/Walton
RB: Bruno/Calderon
LB: Ward*/Chicksen
CB: Greer/Hughes/Dunk/Maksimenko
DM: Toko/Ince
CM: Crofts/Stephens
AM: Clayton*/Forster-Caskey/Agustien
W: Buckley/Kostic*/LuaLua/March
ST: Mackail-Smith/O'Grady/Baldock*...

...plus maybe one other if anybody else leaves. I'd be more than happy with that as a 25 to be honest, and I think we underestimate just how similar a position 20-odd teams in this division are in. They're all trying to cut their wage bills (except the relegated teams, and Forest) and they're all struggling for strength in depth. IMO the above is more than good enough for a shot at the top 6. Last year we were crippled by injuries and still made it - the first year at the Amex we had a pretty average squad (Billy Paynter anyone!?) and still finished 10th. The hysteria is observation-bias I think. Everyone's frustrated to be missing out by fine margins and expect to improve, so Ulloa out/O'Grady in looks less than inspiring on paper. But in the context of the division as a whole, rather than BHAFC 2014 v BHAFC 2013, I think we're actually in pretty solid shape.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Out of interest, where did you hear that? Must have been a really serious injury for him to be that far away from returning to training still. Hopefully we do have enough options to cover now and we won't end up like we did in the play offs last season.

I spoke to him on Thursday and he confirmed this

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Was he ever fully fit last season ? Seemed to never play more than two games in a row

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anybody see these three scoring 20 goals between them this season? Might be a struggle. I still think we need a focal striker.
Staying fit 7 each, I would imagine it'll be impossible not to
Assuming for the first time in 4 seasons we intend on playing more than one player in the opponents half, at any given time.

The key point is one needs to score 20 on his own, that would seem less likely.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Staying fit 7 each, I would imagine it'll be impossible not to
Assuming for the first time in 4 seasons we intend on playing more than one player in the opponents half, at any given time.

The key point is one needs to score 20 on his own, that would seem less likely.

i think Baldock has a reasonable chance to get close...................for his current club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here