Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unlikely Albion Fans

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
When I was 17 back in 1977, I had a job for a couple of years as a commis waiter at the now defunct Wheelers Fish Restaurant in the Lanes. The Manager was a Mr Tony who had a ferocious temper and was tough but fair.

For some reason that I could never fathom he loved the Albion, I say never fathom because he was Spanish and had lived in the town since he had come over from Spain looking for work. He was a season ticket holder in the West Stand at the Goldstone and as Saturday lunchtimes were often busy in the Restaurant, more often than not he would give me his ST and let me off early so as I could go and watch the game. This was a welcome change from my usual spot in the NS.

Such was his passion for the club the other waiters who had no interest in football would tell me that they would always check the Albion's result on Grandstand so that when they returned for the evening shift they knew what Mr Tony's mood would be like for the night. If we had lost you could guarantee he would be in a foul mood.

Mr Tony died a few years ago and never got to see the Amex. He was the only person that I thought of as Sussex by the Sea was sung at the first match v Donny at the Amex.

:cheers: Mr Tony

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
We are lucky to support a club with such an interesting history. Sussex / BHA should be proud. Win or lose we all need to keep the passion. Without it there is no point in going. It just needs to be kept affordable.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Legend - RIP Mr Tony the Spaniard.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
nice story, thanks for that

RIP Spanish Tone

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Love little stories like this RIP Mr Tony

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
When I was 17 back in 1977, I had a job for a couple of years as a commis waiter at the now defunct Wheelers Fish Restaurant in the Lanes. The Manager was a Mr Tony who had a ferocious temper and was tough but fair.

For some reason that I could never fathom he loved the Albion, I say never fathom because he was Spanish and had lived in the town since he had come over from Spain looking for work. He was a season ticket holder in the West Stand at the Goldstone and as Saturday lunchtimes were often busy in the Restaurant, more often than not he would give me his ST and let me off early so as I could go and watch the game. This was a welcome change from my usual spot in the NS.

Such was his passion for the club the other waiters who had no interest in football would tell me that they would always check the Albion's result on Grandstand so that when they returned for the evening shift they knew what Mr Tony's mood would be like for the night. If we had lost you could guarantee he would be in a foul mood.

Mr Tony died a few years ago and never got to see the Amex. He was the only person that I thought of as Sussex by the Sea was sung at the first match v Donny at the Amex.

:cheers: Mr Tony

So 1977 would have been one of the better years to work for him... :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here