Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Military Aircraft

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I know we have a lot of posters on here with varying military backgrounds, and having grown up on various RAF bases myself I have more than a passing interest in military aviation, so I thought I'd ask what planes others on here like and for what reasons, with Eastbourne and Shoreham Airshows very much on the horizon. My top three:

3) Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

b-2.jpg

2) Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

1) Avro Vulcan

Avro%2BVulcan%2BBritish%2BSubsonic%2BBomber.jpg

As you may be able to tell, I have rather a love for the bigger aircraft and particularly those as beautifully designed as the three above. The Vulcan is my favourite by a mile though....just that NOISE like nothing else, combined with the fact of having been designed in the early 50's and still looking stunningly modern in 2014.

Over to you. :thumbsup:

Top choice, though I would bump them all back one space and have this as number 1

article-2119392-006839D000000258-682_966x600.jpg

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
BIG FAT THIS!

I was based at RAF Cranwell from '83-'86, and being the flying training school, visiting pilots often used to showboat a bit. I remember a visiting Lightening pilot screaming down the runway and thinking to myself that he's going to run out of runway in a minute, at which point, he sat the plane on it's arse and shot straight up with old after burners giving it large. Seriously impressive.

[YT]_CDLbokf9sg[/YT]

Remember seeing one at Biggin Hill, the noise was incredible.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
3 - F14 Tomcat. 2 - Victor. 1 - SR71 Blackbird

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 649
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 649

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Having had the last remaining one fly directly overhead whilst playing golf at Woodhall Spa, it would have to be the Lancaster for me.
There are two left, and both will be at Eastbourne and Shoreham. :thumbsup:

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Having watched open mouthed at the Festival of Speed on a couple of occasions as the Typhoon Eurofighter went through it's paces I'm surprised it hasn't had a mention yet.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/RAF_Eurofighter_Typhoon.jpg

Given my current job is leading a team trying to flog these to foreign climes this has to take my vote. But the Vulcan at the farnborough air show last month was awesome, and one of my best mates is an ex vulcan pilot so this has to be up there too.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have Saturday 30th off work, so do I opt for Albion vs. Charlton or do I go to Shoreham and hope that conditions are right for the mighty XH558 to do her stuff?

There aren't many things I'd usually be willing to miss the Albion for, but this just might be one of them.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I have Saturday 30th off work, so do I opt for Albion vs. Charlton or do I go to Shoreham and hope that conditions are right for the mighty XH558 to do her stuff?

There aren't many things I'd usually be willing to miss the Albion for, but this just might be one of them.

I just can't believe there not going to have her flying on the Sunday. Absolutely Gutted!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know we have a lot of posters on here with varying military backgrounds, and having grown up on various RAF bases myself I have more than a passing interest in military aviation, so I thought I'd ask what planes others on here like and for what reasons, with Eastbourne and Shoreham Airshows very much on the horizon. My top three:

3) Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

b-2.jpg

2) Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

1) Avro Vulcan

Avro%2BVulcan%2BBritish%2BSubsonic%2BBomber.jpg

As you may be able to tell, I have rather a love for the bigger aircraft and particularly those as beautifully designed as the three above. The Vulcan is my favourite by a mile though....just that NOISE like nothing else, combined with the fact of having been designed in the early 50's and still looking stunningly modern in 2014.

Over to you. :thumbsup:

Growing up a few yards from Shoreham airport, one of my abiding memories of my youth was the Vulcan flying over for the airshow. It seemed as if it was skimming our outbuildings and had a noise and vibration unlike anything I'd heard before. Simply awesome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here