Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Military Aircraft

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I know we have a lot of posters on here with varying military backgrounds, and having grown up on various RAF bases myself I have more than a passing interest in military aviation, so I thought I'd ask what planes others on here like and for what reasons, with Eastbourne and Shoreham Airshows very much on the horizon. My top three:

3) Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

b-2.jpg

2) Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

1) Avro Vulcan

Avro%2BVulcan%2BBritish%2BSubsonic%2BBomber.jpg

As you may be able to tell, I have rather a love for the bigger aircraft and particularly those as beautifully designed as the three above. The Vulcan is my favourite by a mile though....just that NOISE like nothing else, combined with the fact of having been designed in the early 50's and still looking stunningly modern in 2014.

Over to you. :thumbsup:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not a military fan, but the Vulcan is amazing. Wife and I had a free, "private" show last year - out walking in the countryside near Leicester and there was a Vulcan practising for the next day's air show. Stood in a field, and watched it swooping and roaring, just the two of us. The practise probably lasted longer than the performance at the actual show. It almost flies in "slow motion", and you can just *feel* the power.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I know we have a lot of posters on here with varying military backgrounds, and having grown up on various RAF bases myself I have more than a passing interest in military aviation, so I thought I'd ask what planes others on here like and for what reasons, with Eastbourne and Shoreham Airshows very much on the horizon. My top three:

3) Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

b-2.jpg

2) Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird

sr-71_blackbird.jpg

1) Avro Vulcan

Avro%2BVulcan%2BBritish%2BSubsonic%2BBomber.jpg

As you may be able to tell, I have rather a love for the bigger aircraft and particularly those as beautifully designed as the three above. The Vulcan is my favourite by a mile though....just that NOISE like nothing else, combined with the fact of having been designed in the early 50's and still looking stunningly modern in 2014.

Over to you. :thumbsup:

Excellent selection.

I like this one as well (B1B Lancer), in fact I love all fast jets!

View attachment 56944

Attachments

• b1b_07.jpg
    b1b_07.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,947

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Another vote for the Vulcan, but a great fondness for the Harrier and the Lightning. I knew someone who was in 5 Squadron flying Lightnings.
_42424975_lightningwiki.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Have no specific interest but got a ticket to Wings and Wheels in Dunsfold for August. Wheels? Meh. But Wings? It was brilliant last year. Recommended. :thumbsup:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Just like cars you can't beat the oldies

sb34gn.jpg

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
They still give me goosebumps. The Hawks are getting very old now. I wonder what aircraft will replace them?

I'd be surprised if the Arrows do get replaced when the aircraft comes to end their lifespan
:(

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Vulcan always number 1. As an Air Cadet in the 70s spent an evening at Waddington watching bump'n'goes from the side of the runway. And been inside one at St Athan.

Looking forward to Dunsfold for TWO Lancs though (and the Vulcan!). Dad was at Hemswell with Lincolns so may be inherited.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here