Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia, man of the people

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Rather than remaining in his hotel room ordering room service and charging quail in caviar and champagne to Tony Bloom's account, Sami H is getting out and about in central Brighton. In fact on Wednesday evening he was in a hostelry serving Harvey's on the fringe of North Laine that's popular with one or two local journos.

They/we left him to his own devices, but I had a chance to ask him about it a couple of days later and he said: "I want to get to know the city."

You've got to love managers and players who don't mind mixing with the people. Mark McGhee springs to mind, and Calde, of course - the first footballer I think I've ever seen on a train.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
Tony Bloom on the train as well as Calde now we have a down to earth manager who won't link him self to better jobs and l**ds all the bloody time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rather than remaining in his hotel room ordering room service and charging quail in caviar and champagne to Tony Bloom's account, Sami H is getting out and about in central Brighton. In fact on Wednesday evening he was in a hostelry serving Harvey's on the fringe of North Laine that's popular with one or two local journos.

They/we left him to his own devices, but I had a chance to ask him about it a couple of days later and he said: "I want to get to know the city."

You've got to love managers and players who don't mind mixing with the people. Mark McGhee springs to mind, and Calde, of course - the first footballer I think I've ever seen on a train.

He has also visited Brighton Finnish bar come restaurant Northern Lights. This was also after they put up a sign which read Sami Hyppia eats for free.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I saw him in the Northern Lights for the night after we'd the preseason game at Lewes. Didn't approach him as he seemed to have a steady stream of strangers striking up conversations. Overhead a snippet saying that he was very impressed by Tony Bloom describing him as "an ambitious owner that's also realistic"

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In the old days the Albion players used to travel to some away games on chartered trains organised by the club. They had their own carriage and the rest of us were in the remainder of the train. After a decent performance they would sometimes pass down the train to receive their plaudits. John Vinicombe always had a captive audience when he gave his opinion of the game which we then saw in print in the Monday edition of the Evening Argus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this thread actually:-

'manager goes out while living in thriving city'.

No offence but I'm going to need a little more than that, to be fully impressed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think he's a pretty down to earth sort really, no big ego. If you wanted to, you could read into his comment about getting to know the city as him expecting to be here long-term, at least in his mind. Most would not want to put that slant on it though, and find something less optimistic to say.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He should head to that pub, I forgets it's name, by Moshimo.

ese3u7yz.jpg

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton

Glen Murray was on the train yesterday with his baby and partner travelling from Preston Park to Brighton sitting by the loos chatting to another parent with a baby. Ive seen him catching the train quite often.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Glen Murray was on the train yesterday with his baby and partner travelling from Preston Park to Brighton sitting by the loos chatting to another parent with a baby. Ive seen him catching the train quite often.

His partner is now his wife as they married this summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here