Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

80's offshore radio

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
In particular Laser 558 and later known as hot hits, i used to have it on all day, it was the best, reception was not always great and quite often it would go off air after they had a bad storm.

The story behind laser was interesting and when i was having a nostalgic moment i stumbled across a website that has tried to recreate it, it has original jingles and apparently recruiting american dj's, during the week for an hour they have original 558 recordings too, not quite the same as listening on a crackling am radio but it brings back some good memory's.

Worth a listen if you loved your Laser :thumbsup:

http://www.laserhothits.com/

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
That’s a blast from the past – thanks for the link. I remember starting my first job which was at Gatwick and listening to this driving up the A23 from Brighton. It seemed miles better than any of the competition at the time, minimal commentary with maximum good music. Mind you, we were easily pleased in those days.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
That’s a blast from the past – thanks for the link. I remember starting my first job which was at Gatwick and listening to this driving up the A23 from Brighton. It seemed miles better than any of the competition at the time, minimal commentary with maximum good music. Mind you, we were easily pleased in those days.

No not a lot of choice in them days, Laser took them all by surprise apparently it had around 9 million listeners across europe at one time, in the end the authorities had to do something and they did with Eurosiege, unfortunately that also dragged Caroline in to the battle

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
A friend of mine was a DJ on Caroline. One month on, one month off. I love radio and wish I was born ten years earlier. I could have appreciated these stations a lot more.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
A friend of mine was a DJ on Caroline. One month on, one month off. I love radio and wish I was born ten years earlier. I could have appreciated these stations a lot more.

Really that's great, although life on the high sea may not be that appealing to most every article and interview from both Laser and Caroline DJ's i have read they all say it was a fantastic experience.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Really that's great, although life on the high sea may not be that appealing to most every article and interview from both Laser and Caroline DJ's i have read they all say it was a fantastic experience.

Yes, although he mentioned something about a film that was made, saying that the stories of wild partying and other hedonism were very inaccurate. He later joined Southern Sound around the time of its inception.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
In particular Laser 558 and later known as hot hits, i used to have it on all day, it was the best, reception was not always great and quite often it would go off air after they had a bad storm.

The story behind laser was interesting and when i was having a nostalgic moment i stumbled across a website that has tried to recreate it, it has original jingles and apparently recruiting american dj's, during the week for an hour they have original 558 recordings too, not quite the same as listening on a crackling am radio but it brings back some good memory's.

Worth a listen if you loved your Laser :thumbsup:

http://www.laserhothits.com/
Charlie Wolf:bowdown::bowdown:I spy for the DTI.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Laser 558. Remember it well in the mid-1980's.
Mainly dance / soul / new wave - Pointer Sisters, Bronsky Beat, Sister Sledge, Harold Faltermeyer, SOS Band, Paul Hardcastle, Jan Hammer.
I still have audio tapes with several recordings. A bit hissy despite the use of Dolby!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here