Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber's Email Regarding Harvey's R

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If it's too expensive don't buy it.

I limit myself to the pie and a pint deal every now and again, but if I think the price is too high I won't pay it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Some people on here I swear would even buy a pint of Harveys for £50 just so they could say " oooh look at me, look at me I support my club more than you do, aren't I wonderful " :ffsparr:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

I limit myself to the pie and a pint deal every now and again, but if I think the price is too high I won't pay it.

I don't there is a deal anymore judging by Bozza's NSC tweets from last night.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
This.

And further to this, while not buying it, try not BLEATING about it and see how it affects your life.

But it could be life changing.

I do think the club are missing it a trick here, weaker beer meaning people buy more, which means that the loo is used more. Surely a 30p charge to go to the loo (via the Smart Card) would be another revenue stream (or sorts).

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
But it could be life changing.

I do think the club are missing it a trick here, weaker beer meaning people buy more, which means there use the loo more. Surely a 30p charge to go to the loo (via the Smart Card) would be another revenue stream (or sorts).

Good thinking. I'll send PB an direct & urgent email about it, then post his response on here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can I just point out that if you have to drink lots more beer because the ABV is so weak you're far more likely to wet the bed.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
If you don't like the price or quality don't drink it !

That's the problem though. Why should people have to make that decision? The fans are in a monopolised area, they have absolutely no alternative drinking choice. You're forced to pay an inflated price, or you go without. How many people are really going to stop drinking at the Amex though? If it's less than 1 in 20, the club will be making more money than before (obviously). So from their prospective, it's a good move!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I notice on one of the clubs email blabberings, that they will be selling this Harvey's R stuff, which is only about 2.9% (presumably to make us drink more responsibly, next they will be charging for us to use the loos).

Anyway will this be at £4.20 a pint? If it is, that seems a bit much, watering the product down and holding the higher price.

The Harvey's website states that it is 2.8%ABV, which means they only pay half the Inland Revenue Alcohol Duty per Hectolitre, obviously this saving is not passed on to the customer in the form of point of sale price, thus enhancing the margin. Good business for Harvey's and the club, not so good for the consumer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Harvey's website states that it is 2.8%ABV, which means they only pay half the Inland Revenue Alcohol Duty per Hectolitre, obviously this saving is not passed on to the customer in the form of point of sale price, thus enhancing the margin. Good business for Harvey's and the club, not so good for the consumer.

I'm guessing we won't be seeing Harvey's Christmas Ale on sale anytime soon at the Amex then :xmas:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I really don't get how contentious this issue clearly is. I don't buy a £4.50 pint at the O2 because, in my humble opinion, that's a rip-off. Other happily pay is because they recognize their a captive market and don't mind paying a premium for the privilege.

If you think it's too much don't pay. If you don't think it's too much pay.

At the end of the day, if nobody drinks it they'll either a) take it away or b) lower the price. It's market forces. It's about as simple as it gets. Not sure why all the animosity.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

That's very true, but it is a little bit of a 'short and curlies' situation. If you don't want to stand in the bus/train queue what else is there to do? Might as well have a pint. Sheesh, that's steep but it's better than standing in line and then getting frustrated with the stewards letting queue-jumpers in or not filling the trains properly.

One of the things the club wanted us to do was stagger travel times; putting the beer up to London prices a) doesn't help and b) is just taking the piss because they know they can get away with it. People WILL pay. Damm it I'll probably pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here