Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four seasons ago

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
We finished above Saints in our year at Withdean. In our first season at the Amex we were in the same division. After last night's result (and I didn't go) people are commenting along the lines of " what else did you expect against the eighth best team in the Premier League?"!
Have we really made as much progress as people like to claim?
Now shoot me down!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Whether we like it or not we are not the same club we were 4 years ago, Tony Bloom's people to protect him have had to put him in a position where if required he could sell the club on instantly and get his money back and more, this means the creation of the corporate animal rather than the good old Albion we all knew and loved.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Whether we like it or not we are not the same club we were 4 years ago, Tony Bloom's people to protect him have had to put him in a position where if required he could sell the club on instantly and get his money back and more, this means the creation of the corporate animal rather than the good old Albion we all knew and loved.

I'd love to know what you're on about Ian. There's no way Tony could get anywhere close to recouping the money he has invested, even if he wanted to.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

There is no way he could sell the club instantly and get anywhere near his money back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saints had the squad in place when they came into the Championship to get promoted from it, they did it and have reaped the rewards of staying in the Premier League and buying and selling players for amounts that we can only dream of, partly because they bought well and partly because of their long established academy, but mostly because of the money they get every season for being in the Premier League.

We came into the Championship with a League One side and weakened our attack by being totally cheapskate with Murray and buying CMS. When we did get into a position to get promoted we blew it and now appear to be going backwards on the playing side. Saints are years ahead of us now, just the way it is. Plenty of other clubs are likely to block our progress to promotion this season too. Just enjoy the ride, although it's unlikely to be as exciting as it has been for the last few seasons. Mid table mediocrity at best imo.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

What question do you think you're replying to?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
One word - academy setup.

Southampton must be (one of) the best clubs in the county at producing young talent. Imagine what impact this has financially. They have saved millions on player in (by "growing" their own) and made a huge amount from sales.

Off the top of my head -

Bale
Walcott
Oxlaid chamberlain
Shaw
Chambers
Lalana
Wayne bridge

Most of these players joining from as early at 10 years old. They've had this setup since the early 90s.

When we were both in the same leagues we were not at the same level behind the scenes we just happened to have a pretty good squad for those seasons.

I admire Tony Bloom for building the foundations for us to do something similar 10-15 years down the line.

Already we're signing players under 10 ahead of the likes Chelsea because now we have the facilities to compete. Go back a few years, who would you sign for when your 10, Chelsea or BHA playing at Withdean and training at a run down uni gym.

It's amazing how short sighted so many fans are. 30million on the training facility is potentially worth 10 times that probably more long term. Instead we're meant to spunk that on a few overrated players.

Patience people...

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not saying he would, but if another Venkys or a Russian rocked up this morning wanting to buy the club, with the stadium, the training ground, the core support and the potential of the club, would he not get more than he's put in?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That'll be the Albion 'surviving' in a crumbling dilapidated/condemned ground.
Picked off by a shister.
Sold down the river.
Bought to it's knees.
Pulled back to an unsustainable portacabined athletics track.
Going back down the direction it came from as the rest of football moves on.

Any club that is the same as it was 4 years ago, is in the pooh.

Are you actually bellyaching about someone investing £100+m and wanting some financial protection?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not saying he would, but if another Venkys or a Russian rocked up this morning wanting to buy the club, with the stadium, the training ground, the core support and the potential of the club, would he not get more than he's put in?

We must be getting on for near 200 million when loses each season are taken into account, I can't see anyone paying that for a championship club infrastructure in place or not.
What is the potential of the club?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
But as proved with Venkys and others these people do pay over the odds.

Anyway I certainly don't want to happen but if the price was right who would blame him?

Enjoy your weekend.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We finished above Saints in our year at Withdean. In our first season at the Amex we were in the same division. After last night's result (and I didn't go) people are commenting along the lines of " what else did you expect against the eighth best team in the Premier League?"!
Now shoot me down!

The simple answer to this is Southampton under achieved that season. They were setup to go straight through the divisions and challenge.

We have come a long way in the last three seasons. We've gone from a brilliant League 1 side to a very good Championship side. Just because Southampton have progressed a lot further (when they were set up to do so) doesn't mean we should under estimate how far we've come.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

Not knowing TB's finances but I'd say it would have to be a pretty hefty offer.

Given his background I would say the £150m he has invested is probably less than 10% of his worth. I can't seem him risking anymore.
If someone say offered him £200m is that enough. What is £50m to him? Particularly as a fan would he risk what he has done for that?
I might be wrong but to him and most other football club owners it's a play thing. It's not about the money. Just like we might buy a nice car or bike. We're not looking to make money from it, there are different motivations.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Our Academy will start to properly work for us bringing young local talent through only within the next 5-10 years not before then.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Now shoot me down!

That season at Withdean, Southampton finished like an express train whereas we just about spluttered across the finishing line like an FFC 4-carriage job with power supply problems.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Speak for yourself... my passion for this football club is declining more every season, as we become more of a commercial enterprise and less of a football "club"

I speak for myself and the members of this board who don't require lobotomies.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
That season at Withdean, Southampton finished like an express train whereas we just about spluttered across the finishing line like an FFC 4-carriage job with power supply problems.

Incorrect, we won the division THEN lost 4 irrelevant dead rubbers
Saints, Norwich & US are the last 3 teams to get 52 points of more in the 2nd half of the season. The other two went up again

nb Wolves got 55 last season & I've bought @ 66 points

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Our Academy will start to properly work for us bringing young local talent through only within the next 5-10 years not before then.

is the correct answer although 2/3 years might just be enough
when I first suggested that TB might sell(probably a year or so ago) I was shot like a dying dog, it now seems the "in" thing to suggest this
I for one just hope this does not happen ....ever....
there are many things you might say are wrong ,but do we want to become a Pompey or a Blackburn

well?

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Why do people keep going on about the past and where we come from? Are we gonna be saying that forever? We all know what we've been through!!! The point is we have the highest attendances outside of the premier league which must surely also mean the highest match day revenue and all everybody in the club goes on about is ffp! We have sold players worth millions over the last 18 months and not replaced any where near of the same quality. I think most supporters are concerned with the lack of investment on the playing side and the fact every season we seem to be feeding on scraps! Yes we made the play offs last year but I personally thought we went backwards, the style of play was shocking and at the Amex the football was garbage, this year whilst it's only been friendlies it would seem once again we've gone backwards!!! The season starts in a week and I understand it's difficult to get players in etc etc but this isn't a league where you wanna be playing catch up!!! I think if this premier league dream is to become reality then the time for talking is over and we now need to see some real intent !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here