Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on tonights game ... the football, not the pies.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Overall a poor display with very few bright spots. I know it's only a friendly and I know they're a premier league team, but we were not at the races.

The principal difference was the speed of their game, running, passing and thinking. We looked truly pedestrian.

The bad news first:
- we desperately need a LB. Chicksen looked like a kid thrown into a man's game. Nowhere near good enough.
- Calderon was poor, just like against Crawley.
- Greer's distribution hasn't improved
- Jake has not upped his game one iota from last season. Without a massive improvement he is nowhere near what we need in central midfield.
- Fenelon may have potential, but based on tonight's performance he is nowhere near first team standard.
- CMS was utter rubbish. Not sure what has happened to him, but whatever it is is not good.

The good news:
- another great goal from KLL (as a result of a defensive error). He also had our only other shot (I believe). At least he looked like he could make things happen.
- Rohan Ince had a good game apart from giving the ball away for their 3rd goal.
- Hughes looked OK.

Apart from that:
- O'Grady: a few flashes of good football, but not impressed
- Toko not given much time and seemed to do more fouling than the rest of the team combined.
-Crofts worked hard, but things were not happening for him.
- Agustein looked pretty good
- Dunk had a decent half
- one or two lovely pieces of football from Solly, but was not involved enough
- Buckley looked quite lively, but not given long.
- Bruno looked a lot better than Calderon

Can only get better .... I hope!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Overall a poor display with very few bright spots. I know it's only a friendly and I know they're a premier league team, but we were not at the races.

The principal difference was the speed of their game, running, passing and thinking. We looked truly pedestrian.

The bad news first:
- we desperately need a LB. Chicksen looked like a kid thrown into a man's game. Nowhere near good enough.
- Jake has not upped his game one iota from last season. Without a massive improvement he is nowhere near what we need in central midfield.
- Fenelon may have potential, but based on tonight's performance he is nowhere near first team standard.
- CMS was utter rubbish. Not sure what has happened to him, but whatever it is is not good.

The good news:
- another great goal from KLL (as a result of a defensive error). He also had our only other shot (I believe). At least he looked like he could make things happen.
- Rohan Ince had a good game apart from giving the ball away for their 3rd goal.
- Hughes looked OK.

Apart from that:
- Toko not given much time and seemed to do more fouling than the rest of the team combined.
- Dunk had a decent half

Goalie?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

The bad news first:

The good news:
- Hughes looked OK.

Apart from that:
- Dunk had a decent half

Yep, can't disagree with much of that.

Seagull97

Jan 13, 2014
I agree chicksen seemed to be running around like a headless chicken and Greer also seemed poor. Hopefully can only get better UTA!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Blimey, I know only a friendly, but could be a hard season ahead in an even stronger Championship.
It has to be said, the football hasn't been the same since Gus walked off in a strop.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Stockdale aside, no one impressed. Sami was noticeable by his absence from the touchline, could have been Oscar.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Chicksen was utterly roasted and had a shocker. But then, it's always been obvious he's not up to it - sorry!

Kemy surprisingly did well but still not fit...

Crofty buzzed around

LuaLua and Buckley are WINGERS. I hate seeing them play through the middle... Doesn't work so well!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Chicksen was utterly roasted and had a shocker. But then, it's always been obvious he's not up to it - sorry!

Crofty buzzed around

You see, I'd say Crofts didn't look 100% fit (which presumably, after his injury, he isn't).

Calderon was far worse than Chicksen. Not one of JFC's better games either, unfortunately.

But hey. It has no bearing whatsoever on the Wednesday game. So we move on.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning

Crofty buzzed around

LuaLua and Buckley are WINGERS. I hate seeing them play through the middle... Doesn't work so well!
O really that weren't playing out wide!! What's the point .

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I spoke to several Saints fans after the game and to a man they said were looked a very poor team. Indeed, they thought that our team looked significantly weaker than the one that won the League 1 title a few seasons ago. Now that is a worry - not so much what the Saints fans think - but the fact that they're probably right. I fear a long hard season lies ahead without 4-5 quality signings in the next two weeks - and we all know that ain't going to happen. Desperate times I think.

Aug 4, 2011
Completely agree with the first post. We where too slow tonight in everything. Southampton where extremely pacey on the attack and skillful. We lacked that and don't seem to gel to well as a team at the moment. Fenelon looked fast at times but was tired very quickly into the game don't think he is quite ready for first team this season. Solly looked decent but didnt really get involved. I did think O Grady looked good at times though. Keeper had some good saves despite the obvious . Hopefully can put tonight's game behind him and be solid for the season.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Stockdale made a couple of decent saves 1st half, some decent distribution, with a bit more luck may have got an assist with one clearance to Buckley. Greer's passing was shocking. He gave the ball away 3 times in the first 15 mins. Kemy looked good. Toko was lucky to stay on the pitch on the last few mins with a 2 foot lunge, hope that doesn't carry on in the league. O'Grady got absolutely no service and too isolated. CMS made some great runs and looked lively. KLL looked like he well up for it. Crofts looked rusty and well off the pace not unsurprisingly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of the new boys: Stockdale had little chance with any of the goals, but apart form spill in the second half looked a safe pair of hands. Hughes looked very comfortable and composed on the ball. Will do well. O'Grady never showed very much at all and looked a bit too much on the hefty and immobile side for my liking. would if he'd had some kind of shared game play with CMS if that is the intended pairing up front.
Revelation for me was Agustien in the second half. Like O'Grady, he looked like he could do with losing a few pounds but some of his touches were sublime. Would like to see a lot more of him. First half, Fenelon was getting well stuck in and will have been sure to have impressed the manager. Buckley and CMS sort of faded in and out of the second half.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I spoke to several Saints fans after the game and to a man they said were looked a very poor team. Indeed, they thought that our team looked significantly weaker than the one that won the League 1 title a few seasons ago. Now that is a worry - not so much what the Saints fans think - but the fact that they're probably right. I fear a long hard season lies ahead without 4-5 quality signings in the next two weeks - and we all know this ain't going to happen.

Zero creativity from midfield.....only lua lua looks like he can make something happen. Just can't see where we are going to be a threat this season....unless we sign some players before sept. I guess I will just get classed as a bed wetter I suppose.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

The bad news first:

The good news:
- Hughes looked OK.

Apart from that:
- Dunk had a decent half

Thought Ince was poor tonight as was Solly. Agree with the rest. Just to reiterate, JFC tried hard but is just not up to it at the moment.

Actually thought Kemy made a difference......

Southampton were miles ahead of us, they pressed so high, that at times in the first half it looked like forwards vs defence!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saints tonight reminded me of Derby in the second-leg of the play-offs. Big gulf in class, but then you'd expect that. Reckon we might have a blend of youth and experience that could go fairly well this season without exactly setting the world on fire.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Zero creativity from midfield.....only lua lua looks like he can make something happen. Just can't see where we are going to be a threat this season....unless we sign some players before sept. I guess I will just get classed as a bed wetter I suppose.

I kept repeating to myself "it's only a friendly", "it's only a friendly", but probably one of the poorest pre-season friendly displays I can remember watching. Sami has an awful lot to do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here