Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward deal off... Paul Konchesky

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Would rather have Ward but I know Konchesky is highly rated at Leicester and did well for them in this division. He's got used to winning too!

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Played with Sammi at Liverpool?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'd rather take Riise if a deal for Ward can't be reached. Risse offers more going foward, on the pre-season evidence so far our full backs may be given more liscense to get forward. Plus he can take a cracking free kick.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If you were in a job currently paying you £650k per annum and a prospective new employer offers you £500k per annum what do you do?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you were in a job currently paying you £650k per annum and a prospective new employer offers you £500k per annum what do you do?

If nobody else was offering any more and I liked the job on offer, wages apart, I'd ask for 3 years on the lower wage rather than risk not playing first team football for a year and taking an even bigger drop when the 650k contract ran out next June.

Ward played more games than any other Albion player last year and always gave 100%. I hope an arrangement can be found, I doubt we'll do better.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
If nobody else was offering any more and I liked the job on offer, wages apart, I'd ask for 3 years on the lower wage rather than risk not playing first team football for a year and taking an even bigger drop when the 650k contract ran out next June.

Ward played more games than any other Albion player last year and always gave 100%. I hope an arrangement can be found, I doubt we'll do better.

Although in a years time he walks away as a free agent, he may well get a signing on fee of 100-250k with his new club. That would be an additional consideration.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

For all we know it could be a case of the Albion being prepared to pay Ward a decent signing on fee to compensate for his loss of wages over the next year as long as we can get him on a free transfer, but maybe we're not prepared to do that and pay a fee?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well...I can think of many worse solutions. I suppose he is getting on a bit but I can't imagine that he'd decline too much over the next few seasons.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Club have to move on at some stage, this has been going on for months and doesn't seem like any closer to signing him than we were in May.

Unless he or Wolves are going to back down I would guess we have decided to pursue other targets.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
That's probably the worst suggestion I've heard all summer.
In the friendlies so far, our full backs have been playing as wing backs, constantly up and down the line. Bruno and Calde are getting on but still have enough in the tank to do that job. Konchesky doesn't. He was so slow last year and, despite a suggestion earlier, I don't think he is popular with their fans. Certainly, when he was rumoured last, their forum was very negative about him.

For me it's a big step down and a no.
If we can't get Ward, we can do a lot better.

Also worth noting that he has one year left on his contract and only played 31 times last year.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here